ReadyNas NV+ Replacement

Bill@LakeGeorge

ReadyNas NV+ Replacement
« on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:40 am »
I believe my ReadyNas NV+ power supply has failed.  Power supply doesn't seem to be available in USA

I have 4 1TB drives populating it.  This is pushing 10 years old. 

What is a recommended replacement?

5000+/- albums using Logitech Media Server thur Squeezebox.

Thanks

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: ReadyNas NV+ Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:22 am »
Just get the DC voltage (12VDC???) and current right (8A??? or higher than stock rated current), with the right DC (barrel??) Connector (2.5X5.5mm??), and you should be good.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2015, 10:18 am »
Just get the DC voltage (12VDC???) and current right (8A??? or higher than stock rated current), with the right DC (barrel??) Connector (2.5X5.5mm??), and you should be good.

Thanks for the reply Paul but I don't have a clue what you're talking about I'm a dummy when it comes to things like this.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:03 am »
Thanks for the reply Paul but I don't have a clue what you're talking about I'm a dummy when it comes to things like this.

The ReadyNAS NV+ v1 has an internal power supply with a standard AC power cord that connects directly to a back panel IEC AC receptacle.

The Ready NAS NV+ v2 has an external power supply brick that connects to a back panel 4-pin DC power jack.

Paul is referring to the v2 with an external power brick (although the connector is a 4-pin plug, not a coaxial barrel connector). 

ReadyNAS NV+ v1

ReadyNAS NV+ v2

Which version do you have?

Steve

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:20 am »
I have the v1 internal power supply.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:50 am »
Power supply doesn't seem to be available in USA

Yes, my search also could not find any replacement power supplies in the USA (except for one USA seller on Amazon with an inflated price ($250) and not a great seller rating).

You likely won't be able to read the drives in another NAS (even a ReadyNAS v2) and particularly if in a RAID setup, but if you don't have other backup of the data, getting a replacement PS from the UK may still be an option to consider.

Otherwise if you have the data backed up, I would probably replace it with a Synology NAS which I've experienced to be reliable and I do like the OS software (but I do only have 5 + years on my personal unit).

Steve

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm »
Thanks Steve, I do have a extra backup, I'll check Synology.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2015, 03:22 pm »
Likely an internal SMPS. If you pull it apart, there should be a model number on the supply, if you are lucky and they stuck a modular one in there. You might be able to find one. They are usually adjustable as well, so you need to know what they are putting out. Whatever the other version's external supply puts out (VDC) would be my guess.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2015, 04:00 pm »
It's a mini-ITX form factor power supply (which can vary in depth, so one with the proper dimensions needs to be located), and apparently the connector pinout of the ATX power cable is different and needs to be modified.
http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

Steve 

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2015, 07:34 pm »
Thanks for the help guys but I ordered a synology.  I thought due to the readynas age this was the best option, plus I'll have it tommorow with amazon prime.