Finally got dream car (mostly)

*Scotty*

Re: Finally got dream car (mostly)
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:11 pm »
I believe Car and Driver measured this years model at .82 lateral Gs. I woukd think you could push yours over .9 with your mods and some sticky sunmer rubber.
Scotty

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:33 pm »
Maybe my definition of "dream car is different then others, but most of those are no dream cars; VW's are everyday cars. I'm actually considering getting a Golf GTI as my next car if they still make it then. It's not a dream car. I thought I saw a Golf the other day but it was a Kia since all modern cars look like each other.

A dream car is a Koenigsegg, McLaren, or Ford GT. It has to be fast, expensive, and looks the part.

Everyone has their own idea of a dream car.  The super cars would be a nightmare to own: expense (insurance, maintenance); worries (theft, vandalism, accidents); and not practical (capacity, range, poor weather handling, jealousy from others, can only open it up at a track).  You'd be a slave to it - not worth it.  A former neighbor had a Porsche 912 that stayed under a tarp 350 days of the year.  He got it out on fair weather days, tried to tune it up, then drove it 5 miles (a loop on/off the freeway), washed/waxed it, and put it away.  Meanwhile his everyday wheels, an Audi Fox, had to be parked outside where it rusted and he scrapped snow/ice from it.  Sorry to throw cold water on your dream.   :(

A smaller car, like a Miata, can be more fun in the real world and much easier to live with.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:49 pm »
I didn't say anything about the troubles in owning it, I'm talking about the fact you own it. That's the dream, plain-n-simple.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:56 pm »
I didn't say anything about the troubles in owning it, I'm talking about the fact you own it. That's the dream, plain-n-simple.

Totally agree.

Why would anyone argue practicality when discussing "dream cars".  That's ridiculous.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:58 pm »
I'll second sportwagons!

drphoto

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:10 pm »
No argument from me to Dieterle or Mix. I love exotic cars. Love to see them on "Top Gear" etc.

But, no shit. If you gave me $10 million right now. I would not buy a supercar. Maybe a Tesla S just because they are so cool.

I'd sure as hell hire a pro driver to take me to a track and teach me to drive. And then maybe I'd dump money into building a Miata or M3 race car.

And maybe I'd get a resto mod 70 Chevelle convertible to just take out every other sunday after a day of relaxing at my villa in Monaco.  :D

Oh to Scotty. These tires grip pretty good when no snow. Considered switching to summer performance be lot of money and they wear out fast. Wanted Michelin Pilot Sport, but if I go summer......maybe Goodyear Eagle F1?? lot less cash.

Hey remind me how you upload a pic please!

drphoto

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:12 pm »
Jeezus Red, that is wicked!  :thumb: :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
No argument from me to Dieterle or Mix. I love exotic cars. Love to see them on "Top Gear" etc.

But, no shit. If you gave me $10 million right now. I would not buy a supercar. Maybe a Tesla S just because they are so cool.

I'd sure as hell hire a pro driver to take me to a track and teach me to drive. And then maybe I'd dump money into building a Miata or M3 race car.

And maybe I'd get a resto mod 70 Chevelle convertible to just take out every other sunday after a day of relaxing at my villa in Monaco.  :D

Oh to Scotty. These tires grip pretty good when no snow. Considered switching to summer performance be lot of money and they wear out fast. Wanted Michelin Pilot Sport, but if I go summer......maybe Goodyear Eagle F1?? lot less cash.

Hey remind me how you upload a pic please!

I'd go Michelin even though they are more money. I've owned a WRX since 2009 (2 different ones) and the Michelon Pilot Super Sport tires are amazing AND come with a mileage guarantee! And no $hit, they actually lasted 3 summers... maybe 2 depending on when you'd get rid of them but summer tires get worn to at least the wear bars on my cars.

For winter Michelin Pilot Alpin... also amazing. These do well in the snow, not quite as good as an all-out snow tire, but really well... and the have 75% of the performance of the Pilot SS on dry pavement, plus they don't lose lots of traction < 50 deg F like the Pilot SS do. I live in CO so I need tires that work well in the snow but the vast majority of driving is on dry pavement even in the winter.

Anyway, nice car! I'd take a Golf R over my WRX anytime, just not willing to pay the extra $10k or so... ;)  Plus cost of ownership of Subaru Impreza models is amazingly low. My last WRX I sold for a $3k loss after 4 years and 68k miles! ...an insurance settlement for hail damage was involved, but still... that's $62.50/mo! My previous Impreza before that one cost me $125mo for similar time/mileage. And I don't have to worry about major repair bills as the car is under warranty. Gotta love all the folks that will never consider purchasing a new car on principle... sometimes it's the best way to go. :)

*Scotty*

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:21 pm »
When I was running a modified Mustang GT, I used the top of the line B.F. Goodrich tire which was very good at that point in time. The rankings seem to change at least once year. The sticky ones definitely go away just like an eraser. At one point in time I went through two sets of the top of line Dunlops in one year. Super glue on the road but I couldn't afford to keep them on the car.  :(
Scotty

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:28 pm »
When I was running a modified Mustang GT, I used the top of the line B.F. Goodrich tire which was very good at that point in time. The rankings seem to change at least once year. The sticky ones definitely go away just like an eraser. At one point in time I went through two sets of the top of line Dunlops in one year. Super glue on the road but I couldn't afford to keep them on the car.  :(
Scotty

Then stop peeling out all the time. You are supposed to drive away normally at a red light.

:nono:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:30 pm »
Scotty

It's AMAZING how good modern tires are.

I remember in the early 90's my new car with 205/55/16 tires (big/low profile at the time, lol...) wore through it's tires in 12k miles or so, if you're lucky. Now the Pilot Super Sport is both far better than the older tires in terms of performance and they last about 3x as long. My winter tires would outperform summer tires from the mid 90s and last way longer too.... :)

*Scotty*

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:53 pm »
I didn't burn rubber off stoplights, I couldn't afford to. The car had road racing gears and suspension mods. 3 degree car, completely the opposite spring rates and shock absorber damping characteristics from a drag racing setup.
Scotty

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm »

My daughter's wagon. My wife and I advised against it for practical reasons. She's driven the heck out of it for a year and has had no trouble, unless you count the speeding ticket.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2016, 11:47 am by timind »

orthobiz

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2016, 11:37 pm »
The mechanism on the driver's seat that pushes it forward has broken but that's been it after four years. Most reliable car I've ever owned. And, having survived a 2004 Touareg, I sure know about buggy, unreliable cars!

Paul

While the M3 is clearly the "best" car I have owned, my 1999 Silver Reflex GTI (first new car I ever bought) will always have a very special place in my heart.

I would love to get a Golf R as a winter car, but its price is way up there and I am not too keen on a used Golf R.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:32 am »
We have a 2010 VW Jetta wagon (diesel) and a 2006 Subaru Outback (just traded in to buy Honda Pilot).  The Subaru had many problems, such as broken rear axle and broken strut. We paid thousands of dollars for fixes in the last few years.  The VW has had needed the rear spray/wiper replaced (not sure how it got damaged, but it did) and a window regulator replaced.  Can't directly compare the two, though, as I'd need to own the VW for another 4 years to see what happens to it.  Since they're buying it back, that won't happen.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:54 am »
This was my dream car...until I owned it for a year.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2016, 12:45 pm »
Totally agree.

Why would anyone argue practicality when discussing "dream cars".  That's ridiculous.

And everybody is talking about German brand station wagons. German cars have become so common that they could never become special. If you go to places like Germany, they have become so common it has watered-down the prestige of those brands. Most of what you see on the autobahn is German wagons.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jul 2016, 02:25 pm »
And everybody is talking about German brand station wagons. German cars have become so common that they could never become special. If you go to places like Germany, they have become so common it has watered-down the prestige of those brands. Most of what you see on the autobahn is German wagons.

My last GF worked for a Porsche racing team and sold parts online from several local German auto shops. After seeing how much German car parts go for and how much work they need (in general) I'd never own one that wasn't under warranty. They seem needlessly complex and expensive. For me, a car is an appliance, not an identity...

jonbee

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jul 2016, 03:05 pm »
Hi drphoto,
I am glad for you that you finally got your (Mostly) dream car.  :thumb:
My dream car, which by the way, is the most beautifull car in the whole world,
the most beautifull car ever produced is a Ford Thunderbird 1963 (White or red)
But, that's according to me.

Guy 13

My mother had a '64 T-bird in powder blue/white when I was in high school. I'd cruise main street in it. A real stunner, inside and out. Few cars are more beautifully realized.

In 2003 I bought my dream car, a '99 Jaguar XJR (mine is red):

With 370 HP, I use it as a personal amusement park. It is a real kick to drive. 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.7 second 1/4 mile, 155+ mph top end. Hugs the road like a dream. Transports 5 in comfort, as well as some pretty big speakers over the years.
I only drive it about 3k miles per year. It has about 75K miles on it; I'm planning to have fun in it for another decade or so.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/jaguar/xjr/1999/1999-jaguar-xjr/

ctviggen

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jul 2016, 08:00 pm »
This was my dream car...until I owned it for a year.

What was wrong with it?   I have a friend who had a BMW convertible, and that thing had so many freaking rattles.   I've also heard that Saabs did that too, although my Saab (not a convertible but a hatch) was rock solid.