SACD frustration with my Sony Modwright DVP-999 ES

Whitese

Well, I decided to see what is up with my Sony Modwright Sony DVP999ES...

Up to now, I tried 15 SACD's (all hybrid)...and it reads about 1/2 of them....2 of them had occasional hiccups where it would stop reading for a fraction of a second every little while..

Now I am playing a Alia Vox SACD and its reading it perfectly...It didn't even take long to get started...the others it really has to think about it.

Even when I try a double SACD, it will read one perfectly, but not the other.  I need to get me a single layer SACD and see what happens.

Me and the guy who had originally bought it from me replaced the lasers....but I am suspicious of these replacement lasers (ebay and the like)....almost impossible to find NOS ones...

Even Modwright replaced one, and it didnt work long if at all...

« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2013, 04:20 am by Whitese »

Scottdazzle

Re: SACD frustration with my Modwright DVP-999 ES
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2013, 03:47 am »
It's actually a Sony/ModWright player.  Sony manufactured the transport, laser, and DAC.  ModWright's mods are for the analog stage after the DAC and the power supply.  Your issue appears to be with Sony, not ModWright.  Your subject line appears to be pointing the finger at the wrong manufacturer.

Whitese

Re: SACD frustration with my Sony Modwright DVP-999 ES
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:22 am »
yeah, I can see your point....

Modwright has nothing to do with the laser business, I was just identifying which unit I was having trouble with to see if any others here suffered the same fate.  I love the sound of the unit, even if its just Redbook...I was wondering what can make a laser fail at such random occasions.

Whitese

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:45 pm »
At least its playing the SACD layer of the Steve Hoffman mastered Close to The Edge...;-)

Whitese

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2013, 04:50 pm »
At least its playing the SACD layer of the Steve Hoffman mastered Close to The Edge...;-)

And the SH mastered SACD of Going For The One.....

qdrone

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:07 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Sony has by Bee  filters and a magic clock which work during digital playback then  Modwright has modified the digital signal some what.

Phil A

qdrone

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2021, 03:56 pm »
Interesting article Phil, I mean I was going to suggest he clean the cd lenses. I use one the you put it the player that has a tiny brush on it that follows the lens when you push play.and cleans it. If a person smokes they really need to clean the lenses with a q tip and isopropyl alcohol at least once a year. Discwasher makes a wet lens cleaner and in use that too once a year that agitates the lens with a wet brush with isopropyl alcohol. It works fine and I dont have to remove the cd player from my stereo rack plus I dont have to open unit either.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2021, 05:26 pm »
When I used disc playback, I'd clean the lens periodically (and I have the same one with the little brush and I think I have the Discwasher one somewhere but I haven't used it in yours).  Probably about 22+ years back, I had a Sony/Modwright XA-777ES.  I still have an Oppo BDP-83 with solid state Modwright mods.  Basically only sees use if someone brings a disc over (which is rare and it is hooked up via the coax digital into my DAC).  I had the (same) Sony DVP (999ES) at one point but never had it modded as it was used in the bedroom system for video only.  I did try it in the main system but at that point in time I had a Proceed PMDT transport with the upgraded card.  I try not to buy discs (vs. downloads) as I'm not horribly far from running out of space and soon I'm going to have to get something to store them in and move some of them from the racks/cabinets I have currently store them in (which are located in a closet).  In fact, this post is a reminder to start looking for something as I bought a few CDs and it's a pain to squeeze them in and then shift things around. 

The nice thing about the Oppo is that a few years back the drawer was starting to stick, which was a known issue.  I opened it up once and made it better and then ended up sending it to Oppo and they fixed it for free and sent back my Modwright/Oppo BDP-83.  The problem with any disc spinner is that typically who ever manufactures the drive mechanism usually does so for a limited amount of time (e.g 7 years).  Once there are no more drives (and the manufacturer has written specific software to go with the drive/player), either a new model drive comes out (the manufacturer won't start retrofitting and experimenting with newer drives and the rest of the player internals) and a new player is designed or in some cases (typically with CD players vs. DVD players) it seems there are less new ones out (at least to me) than there used to be.  One of the things that finally pused me to file playback.

qdrone

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2021, 06:01 pm »
The owner of this player needs to google a review of the 999es by I believe Robert Levi. If this cd player is being used for a stand alone cd player for playing music and not movies there are internal tweaks that can be made with a monitor and the remote. Turn off display, place 5.1, Dts and digital out to off. There is also a music blend feature that is in the on position that impeeds the Modwright mods to fully blossom.Turn it off. Turning these things off does not affect SACD mode.
I use a Modwright 999es as my transport and had to go and reverse these tweaks but I kept the blend swith and display off.
I found the review
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE197_BhhhAl0AaC1x.9w4;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1628993407/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fpositive-feedback.com%2fIssue14%2fmodwright999ES.htm/RK=2/RS=GtQsJWGHfpcjVir8z1cpELh.3Yo-