Re-Starting the Vinyl Adventure - need some direction

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Re-Starting the Vinyl Adventure - need some direction
« Reply #20 on: 26 Aug 2016, 03:11 am »
That eSpirit is pretty high on my list. Looks/WAF has to be high on this buy since this will be staying in the living room in a prominent location.
Otherwise the GEM polytable would have been a nobrainer.

Gem potty table has to be the LEAST WAF of your bunch..... :lol:

If she likes the whole Bmw Bauhaus thing the Concept will go over well. Otherwise the esprit in black is pretty "safe".

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #21 on: 26 Aug 2016, 03:19 am »
I have been eyeing the Parasound Halo Integrated Amp. It checks all the boxes for me and helps me simplify the Living Room system.
The only hold up is the Phono section. Is that good enough? Or will I need a dedicated Phono amp regardless?

Unless you need / want lots of bells and whistles and power in one box, I'd look elsewhere for overall better sound quality.  The zphono which is basically what's in the halo is just ok. If you were spending less than $200 on a phono stage, it's about as good as alternatives - bit "warmer", which is ok for cheap TTs systems, but won't scale up for better ones. I own a zphono among others, so some personal experience. I use it on my cheapest / brightest TT system.

I'd honestly get a nice Hegel H80 integrated or maybe an Arcam A39 for that kind of money. The Arcam internal phono stage is pretty decent. The H80 doesn't have one, but the $500 savings vs the Parasounds gets you plenty of good options way better than a zphono / internal halo one.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #22 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:09 pm »
Thanks for the input till now guys.
I want to stay with something new/demo/closeout. Dont have the time for looking for a used deal.

Here are some of the contenders currently; pls help eliminate some:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable  about $550

Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon Turntable with Blue Point No 2 about $900;  with Sumiko Pearl about $700

Pro Ject Xtension 9 SuperPack Turntable with Blue Point Special EVO III Low Output about 2K

VPI Scout Jr. Turntable with Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge about 1600

Rega RP1 Turntable w/Performance Pack / Bias 2 cartridge about $445

Rega PL3 Planar 3 Turntable with Elys Cartridge about $1145.

GEM PolyTable With the Jelco SA-750E 10 inch tonearm about 1900

Clearaudio Concept Turntable with Concept MC about 2K

Any others I need to consider?

The new Technics 1200G will be out soon ($2K).  Worth looking into IMO.  The 1200G is supposed to have most all the features of the $4K GAE which is being compared to tables like the VPI Prime. 
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1137099

A speed controller for a belt drive will cost another 700 - $1K.  Add an SDS to a Prime and you have a $5.2K table and arm.  I don't think any of the tables on your list come close to the Prime.
neo

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 26 Aug 2016, 04:02 pm »
I had a Rega P3-24 with a Denon 103. Plus a no name record vac. and a carbon fiber brush. It sounded fantastic.

Virtually no surface noise even with mostly used vinyl. Like an idiot I sold it because I just didn't have time to sit an spin records. But I still wish I'd kept it.

It did tend pick up some low end rumble even w/ deck on brass points on a pretty good rack.

The Rega/Denon beat the crap out of my old Thorens TD-165 w/ Shure V15-4. I really don't think Thorens are all that great after hearing the Rega. Always wanted a Linn LP-12, but you have to take out a 2nd mortgage for those. The Rega's are pretty affordable.

It's a shame the Denon is out of production, but you can get a mod version from Zu. High output MC. wonderful.

At some point when I'm flush with cash, I'll probably get another Rega/Zu/Denon rig.

The Zu 103 or 103R are not high output MC's. You'll need a SUT or phono stage with MC ( low output) capability.

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 26 Aug 2016, 06:53 pm »
The new Technics 1200G will be out soon ($2K).  Worth looking into IMO.  The 1200G is supposed to have most all the features of the $4K GAE which is being compared to tables like the VPI Prime. 
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1137099

A speed controller for a belt drive will cost another 700 - $1K.  Add an SDS to a Prime and you have a $5.2K table and arm.  I don't think any of the tables on your list come close to the Prime.
neo

Everything I have read says the 1200G is going to be the same price.....$4,000.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2016, 07:03 pm »
Everything I have read says the 1200G is going to be the same price.....$4,000.

EEK, my bad.   What was the limited edition all about?  Testing the water?

neo

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2016, 08:33 pm »
Fast sales? A limited production of 1200 units, with a nifty gold and black label. I never did really understand the promo, but all the units sold in short order.

No big deal....BTW, I wish the price was $2k........

'ner

G E

« Reply #27 on: 27 Aug 2016, 12:08 am »
Check out the Well Tempered line.

I picked up a demo close out of the Amadeus when the had an update for about $2k with full warranty.

There is also a Simplex entry level model.

Incredible PRAT and an incredible music maker.

audioguy213

« Reply #28 on: 27 Aug 2016, 02:21 am »
I think people are loosing focus of the initial concept which is
1. starter table - getting back into vinyl
2. LR placement means, good looks and easy operation (maybe wifey wants to play a record, do you want her touching your Kiseki needle after two glasses of Rose?  I dont)

It is really easy to go WAY overboard (trust me, I did),
Save that for your basement system, it can have tweaks, fancy cables, isolation pucks, some table you have to start by hand because the motor is optimized for assistance, whatever.

But in the LR, let's go cheap, easy, works, etc.

I say the baseline Rega you mention, or Pro-Ject, with a SChiit Mani phono pre - awesome on the cheap.
top end-
how about the VPI Nomad, it has a built in phono pre, and it is ready for a cheap but awesome integrated (Nuprime IDA-8 new, or HEgel H80 used)

Anyhow, I just beg you to keep it simple and cheap. This isn't YOUR re-introduction to vinyl, that can happen in the man cave,
this is your wifes too, so you want her to like and use it.

I want to throw in a dark horse candidate,
I dont really care what it sounds like, I think I am buying this one for the wife to use, I LOVE it.

https://www.gramovox.com/products/floating-record#

nocrapman

« Reply #29 on: 27 Aug 2016, 10:37 am »
Audioguy:
Thanks for bringing back perspective to the discussion. I could not have explained it better.
I am to very much to blame by putting in a wide range of products on the list.

I forgot to mention the 3 and 6 yr olds running around. Although they have always been around A/V gear, know what not to do, and thankfully I have not had any issues.

But regardless I want this system to be Simple, uncomplicated, good looks .... you get the picture.

I might discard the integrated idea and keep looking for separates. I need a preamp with HT bypass, 12v trigger(in/out) and phono built in (ideally but can be a separate box).

The Gramovox is very interesting, but it seems like I will always be fighting gravity with it in many ways.

nocrapman

« Reply #30 on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:29 am »
Thanks to the discussion and advice, here are the updated contenders for the TT:

1. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable ($550)

2. Rega PL3 Planar 3 Turntable with Elys 2 Cartridge (1K)

3. Clearaudio Concept Turntable with Concept MM (1.5K)

Mind says get the Project; Heart wants the Clearaudio.
Unfortunately I dont know much about the Rega. Where will I notice the difference between #1 and #3?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:21 pm »
Thanks to the discussion and advice, here are the updated contenders for the TT:

1. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable ($550)

2. Rega PL3 Planar 3 Turntable with Elys 2 Cartridge (1K)

3. Clearaudio Concept Turntable with Concept MM (1.5K)

Mind says get the Project; Heart wants the Clearaudio.
Unfortunately I dont know much about the Rega. Where will I notice the difference between #1 and #3?

The rega planar 3 is more alike than different than the project. The concept is at a whole other level. Think Mercedes C class vs up trim VW Golf. Overall better fit and finish, refinement. You'll get more "information" out of the concept. Better "handling" as well with regards to timing / rythmn etc. You can adjust speed on Concept to get it perfect. Can't on the project. You can easily change / upgrade arm on the concept. Can't on the
project.

If you can afford the extra $1k for the concept, it's a no brainer.

orientalexpress

nocrapman

« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:56 pm »
That a tough choice between the Comet and the Concept as I am getting a good deal on a demo Concept at 1.2K

So I am left with these 2:

1. Clearaudio Concept Turntable with Concept MM (1.2K)

2. SOTA Comet with Rega 303 and Exact cart

Anyone have experience with both?
I am leaning to the Concept (based on looks/build alone).

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2016, 06:00 pm »
That a tough choice between the Comet and the Concept as I am getting a good deal on a demo Concept at 1.2K

So I am left with these 2:

1. Clearaudio Concept Turntable with Concept MM (1.2K)

2. SOTA Comet with Rega 303 and Exact cart

Anyone have experience with both?
I am leaning to the Concept (based on looks/build alone).

Clearaudio - Rega Exact cart is crap, and you are nocrapman!   :lol:

Otherwise Comet / Rega 303 are decent, but vs Clearaudio kinda Lincoln vs Mercedes / BMW, if you get my drift.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #36 on: 29 Aug 2016, 08:12 pm »
Get the most expensive VPI you can afford. There's a lot to be said for customer service and excellent engineering.

Doc

twitch54

« Reply #37 on: 29 Aug 2016, 09:16 pm »
what's your overall budget ?

nocrapman

« Reply #38 on: 29 Aug 2016, 09:37 pm »
what's your overall budget ?

I dont have one... just trying to get bang for buck products and still save for the kids' college.

Since this will be a highly visible system with access to many hands, I am trying to get something reasonably priced.

nocrapman

« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2016, 09:39 pm »
Get the most expensive VPI you can afford. There's a lot to be said for customer service and excellent engineering.

Doc

That was the original plan!
Was looking at a Classic 3 or the new prime.
But sense prevailed and I will save this for the mancave/basement rig.