RM30-m passive radiator distorting

G E

RM30-m passive radiator distorting
« on: 22 Aug 2015, 11:21 pm »
Hello-

I have a pair of RM30's and one of my passive radiators is distorting on low frequency information.  It happens only during bass heavy material.  It is the back unit. If I reach into the port and apply gentle pressure to the cone, the distortion stops.

Do I need to replace this unit of is there a remedy?  I am reasonably handy.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2015, 03:29 am by G E »

Doug Ravizza

Re: RM30-m passive radiator distorting
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm »
I would suggest a visual inspection of the PR with flashlight and mirror. I suspect the surround may have deteriorated and needs replacing, at least that's been my experience.

-Doug

G E

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2015, 11:12 pm »
Thanks, Doug, I appreciate your response.

I read through several of the threads here and I wonder if this is an opportune time to transition to the Series II with Mega Woofer. I am flabbergasted at the sound quality and imaging of my RM30 Ms but have always thought them to be lean in 40-50 hertz region.  For those who did the Series II transition, what are your experiences?  Does it make an appreciable difference?

It appears the Mega Woofers are Misco Speaker Company LLC62W-8A 6.5 inch woofer.  And one pulls the 6.5" down firing radiators, two per cabinet, and removes the 10" active woofer replacing with 10" passive radiator. And there is a capacitor to add. I already have the foam pieces that flank the tweeters and neopanels

There may be issues with minimum orders with Misco

And I don't know what to do about the 10" PR. Are there two available from sources?

If we had lots of interest we could do a group buy of Misco drivers. Perhaps a small scale Kickstarter project? ....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:16 am »
If the passive radiator needs repair, Parts Express might be able to do the work.

G E

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2015, 01:33 am »
I pulled off the base and had a look at the PR that is chuffing.  Part of the surround has pulled away from the frame.  The other PR did not have this problem, but the foam surround is real floppy.  I have no idea if this is normal or not.  Nor can I guess how long before 1 or more units develops an issue. 

So I decided to proceed with the Series II upgrade.  10" PRs on order as are the two 10 uf capacitors, Auricaps to match what is now in the crossover.

Once I hear the result I will decide whether or not to order Mega Woofers.

I'll post my impressions in a new thread.

Stay tuned for more.

mjmessina

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2015, 01:43 pm »
Personally, I would not try to get your RM30s to produce any kind of significant bass (cut them off at 100-120hz).
Fix the PRs and tighten them up. Then build or buy some nice musical woofers/subs.  NOT the ported boomy subs.
When I bought my RM30, even Brian told me I would need subs to replace what I was use too (i.e the Tower IIs).
He was right, I tried to get some bass out of my RM30s, but it was futile.  This could have been due to my room size.
Yes the specs and measurements show that there is some-kind of low frequency.
Being a drummer and playing bands, I know how instruments sound. The RM30s (at least mine) do not reproduce the underlying low level harmonics of instruments at all.
If you listen to a lot of fast music with little space, you probably don't miss it.  But when there is space the void is noticeable.
From the strum of an acoustic guitar or the hit on the  guitar body, the resonance of piano cords,  the resonance of floor toms, etc are all lost.

Bob Stark

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2015, 09:33 pm »
GE,
     I had a pair of RM30s with the auricaps, silver wiring, and 40 ounce mega woofers.  When I replaced the 2 passive 6" woofers, plugged the holes, and cut the 10" hole on the side for the passive radiator, there was a significant difference in the bass and overall balance of the 30s.  The bass went deeper, cleaner with no bottoming out on loud transients.  It took a little work, about 8 clamps with glue to fasten a couple 3/4" mdf boards to the inside of the pre cutout 10" circle.  It's a bit of a tricky job, unless you have pretty good skills.  With a little prayer during the work, mine came out very nice.  The sound difference is worth it IMO.  Mine were already cut out with the cloth cover fitting tightly inside the routered cutout.  It would be easier if the 10" cut were not already there on the side--and you had to cut it out yourself.  When I got done with the speakers, they were VERY NICE sounding in all ways but I also had RM40 BCSE's that were awesome.  I was one of Brian's demonstrators for VMPS the last 4 years they were made. 

G E

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm »
Bob ,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, my auricaps and 10" PRs have arrived so I plan to do surgery on my rm30s this weekend.  I have the "M" model so the I don't need to make the big cut.   I may need to carve out some mdf to let the PRs sit down like the actives. Theyare1/4 " larger diameter with the rubber gasket than the actives. 

I cut some rectangles of 3/4 inch plywood to plug the PR openings. Painted them black - mine have the piano black finish- I am mounting them externally. Easier to install instead of going from the inside and no interference with the magnet of the lower woofer.  I will use caulk to get get an airtight seal and use some non hardening modeling clay inside for added insurance.

I plan to order the mega woofers but have to delay a little bit- our dog had surgery this week and happily it came out well. Priorities ya know!
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2015, 04:08 am by G E »