DECWARE AUDIO PRODUCTS

restrav

Re: DECWARE AUDIO PRODUCTS
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:05 am »
That's part of why I love my Serenity Acoustic Super 7's - 97db efficient open baffle planar magnetic "top" section (with flat 8ohm impedance) that covers 200hz and up, and then there's the open baffle powered bass section with 300 watts per side and dual 12 inch woofers.  So I can use a beautiful low watt amp on the mids/highs and still get percussive, strong bass. 

I don't know why more speaker companies don't use this approach.  It really, really opens up your ability to use small, beautiful sounding amps on the top end:

THais is the one speaker that would pay that much for. im happy with my sub powered omega but this would be my one step up. i would need some out of this world paint job and a grill the hind the ugly face since it will be in the living room, dont have a dedicated room. and im genuienly scared of the basement in my 120 year old house :D so living room is gonna be it for me for the forseeable future.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:22 am »
THais is the one speaker that would pay that much for. im happy with my sub powered omega but this would be my one step up. i would need some out of this world paint job and a grill the hind the ugly face since it will be in the living room, dont have a dedicated room. and im genuienly scared of the basement in my 120 year old house :D so living room is gonna be it for me for the forseeable future.

Looks pretty good with the magnetically attached grills, IMO:

restrav

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:24 am »
they do. this is exactly what i was imagening. i just had never seen these speaksers with the grills on

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:35 am »
Nice room seems stuffed, these speakers dont need a live room?

Tyson

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:52 am »
Nice room seems stuffed, these speakers dont need a live room?

The pic is deceptive - I'd pushed the speakers all the way to the front wall in order to get them both in the picture.  In fact, most of the time they're about 6 feet off the rear wall.  I also put up treatments on the side walls after these pics were taken.  Plus OB's aren't too picky about being placed close to a side wall.  And the smaller wood speakers are gone, of course. 

In fact, the room I have now for my audio system is one of the best I've ever had because its so quiet as it's a half-basement with full carpeting, and now GIK absorbers on the side wall, and I've put up custom roman shades to cover all the windows.  So the whole room is pretty awesome, especially for listening to classical music (my main music preference).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2018, 02:08 am »
Tyson, your room sounds like mine.
I like your speakers, they "look like they'd sound good", I'm sure you understand.  :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:26 am »
Looks pretty good with the magnetically attached grills, IMO:

Very nice, is that a glossy white finish I'm seeing? Did you build those or buy them that way?

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:23 pm »
Very nice, is that a glossy white finish I'm seeing? Did you build those or buy them that way?

Yep a medium gloss finish and they are slightly off-white to better fit with our decor.  I did not build them, but I did work with the builder to customize the paint and grill colors.  Unfortunately Serenity Acoustics went bankrupt and I got the last pair.....  I’ll say this, in 30 years of being an audiophile, these are the best speakers I’ve ever heard.  There’s an official Super 7 owners thread over in the GR research circle where we talk about them in great detail.  In fact I think Danny might have a demonpair for sale - he designed them for Serenity.

rpf

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2018, 04:22 am »

In USA audophilia there are only 2 big names, Bob Carver and Steve Deckert and neither of the two is an electronic engineer, no electronic engineer did more for music and musiclovers than these two people imo.

What an absurd statement.

I have no opinion on Decware products, not having heard any (I'd very much like to hear the ZMA being a KT66/6L6 fan) but the two designers above being the only big names in US audio design?  :nono:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2018, 06:46 pm »
What an absurd statement.

I have no opinion on Decware products, not having heard any (I'd very much like to hear the ZMA being a KT66/6L6 fan) but the two designers above being the only big names in US audio design?  :nono:
How so?  Unfortunatelly some of the first Bob amps wasnt refined sound as PhaseLinear nicked Phuzz Linear, but its a realistic statement, did you see what Bob did with the pompous critics of Stereophile magazine in 1985?

No audio designer or lay man did this on this planet, not even close to that, none, no one, Bob ate them with flour. I wont even mention the McIntosh case.

rpf

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2018, 11:40 pm »
I was not deprecating Bob Carver or Steve Deckert. I merely pointed out that they are not the only two distinguished audio designers in the US: past or present.

Bob Carver's interaction with Stereophile is not indicative of anything.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jan 2018, 11:44 pm »
I was not deprecating Bob Carver or Steve Deckert. I merely pointed out that they are not the only two distinguished audio designers in the US: past or present.

Bob Carver's interaction with Stereophile is not indicative of anything.
Not even of courage? He could have lost the challenge.

rpf

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2018, 03:20 am »
Not even of courage? He could have lost the challenge.

Not indicative of anything related to the existence of other distinguished designers. As you seem to keep ignoring my point, this is my last post on the subject.

Delta77

« Reply #33 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:49 am »
A few pictures of my Decware CPS3 (preamp/headphone amp) with it’s new set of tubes..

Steve

« Reply #34 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:00 am »

In USA audophilia there are only 2 big names, Bob Carver and Steve Deckert and neither of the two is an electronic engineer, no electronic engineer did more for music and musiclovers than these two people imo.There is no other reliable way to tests new circuits and electronics parts with views to sound quality in audio circuits, no one knows what goes through the mind of a genius creator like Bob and Steve, I wished to know half of what they know.
Steve even answers the emails from Decware himself.

There are other names besides those two FRM, but marketing usually wins out in the public's mind. Not trying to be a stiff, just saying.

There are ways of listening testing the sound quality, accuracy, of a circuit/design, and parts, and getting the design to sound natural, accurate. I designed special listening tests, and they are trade secrets. It is not a simple listening audition. And we are talking 20hz to 20khz, the whole spectrum, not just midband. Even slightly too full or too thin and the reproduction won't be natural, live sounding; one is compromising.

FRM, you are correct, no one else knows how sonically accurate their components really are. They all claim, or through reviews, to sound good though. Evidently they all sound the same? Anyone confused by the marketing, reviews, posts?

To really design something special, and consistent, one must initially perform listening tests for each part to determine which brand/model of part to use. Then the correct value, rarely is a listed value in parts catalogs, must be determined for that particular design, by special listening tests. When manufacturing, each value part must be kept well within 0,5%, for consistency, sonic accuracy.

The parts in each channel must measure exactly the same as well. Layout must be exact, so channel separation is the same and consistent at all frequencies. This is more difficult at high frequencies than midband. The power supply has to be designed properly, how many sections, quality of parts etc. Every part of the design is critical. My special listening tests were the only way I knew my stuff was accurate when I was in business. (I am retired from designing and manufacturing preamplifiers, amplfiers, speakers.)

I will say there is a lot of history behind the scenes between manufacturers that people don't ever hear about as well.

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2018, 01:36 am by Steve »

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 13 Dec 2018, 04:03 am »
My buddy Rex is a big fan of Decware. Rex bought the plans for the DNA Horns for $19.95. He says overall, his Omegas vs. the DNA Horns he built is a toss-up. Right now he is hoping Deckart sells the plans for the DNA 2's since Rex lives in Hawaii and shipping will be sky high. Deckart now says the DNA 2's are the best speakers he has ever built. Decware also sells one pair of Louis Omegas since he is a big fan of the Omegas. Since I have known Rex for over 40 years, I know what he is listening to.  would love to go to Decware Octoberfest one year just to hear what they are doing.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #36 on: 13 Dec 2018, 05:30 am »
I had spent some time with Wind Chaser’s SE84c, 15 years ago. It was one of the best imaging amps I have heard and that is very important to me. Tonally it was clean and clear like an Audio Research. Myself, I prefer a bit more color, but not as far as a Conrad Johnson. I felt the bass and top end to be soft and was a deal breaker for me. I am sure these might have been fixed over the years. I like Steve and his company. His tube buffer I liked a lot. Imaging was more holographic and increaed harmonic nicesness. At least from what I can remember.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2018, 04:40 pm by Rocket_Ronny »