OPPO 103 Sound Quality

bizyz

OPPO 103 Sound Quality
« on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:08 pm »
I recently purchased an Oppo 103 off Amazon and while it has lots of nice features the sound quality is a whole nother matter.I have it hooked up to an NAD 356BEE integrated amp with the 103 set to 2 channel mix down.Prior to my acquiring the Oppo The NAD amp was paired with a Marantz cd changer which gave up the ghost.With the Marantz changer,the sound was fine but with the Oppo,the sound went flat with the music lacking oomph,bass,sound staging,etc.What could be the problem?Would having the Oppo 103 modded improve its sound quality?

milford3

Re: OPPO 103 Sound Quality
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:17 pm »
I just ordered the OPPO 103D (Darbee edition.)  My older model OPPO (DV980H) has been flawless for seven years and sounds great. As for the sound quality for the 103 maybe a little EQ is in order.   

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:38 pm »
The Oppo 103 should have much greater resolution than a Marantz cd changer; if it doesn't sound right, then I'd bet there is a problem.  The 103 is not the player that the 95 or the 105 is, but it still has a very good dac (for those that like the sabre sound) coupled with a solid transport.  It should perform well in it's price range. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:53 pm »
I'd agree with the above. I have two 103Ds (one in the main system just for video), a 93, a modded 83 and a DV980H as well (which is just there if I want a region free DVD player).  The 103D in a secondary system has been used sparingly for audio (a few SACDs before I ripped them) and has a hard drive attached with hi-rez files (including DSD and multi-channel DSD) and CD quality files.  I also have streamed to it over the network from my NAS.  While the sound quality is not the in the league with higher end stuff, it is quite decent at its price point, especially for an all in one player.  It's probably a bit better than the 93 (which is in my master bedroom and gets used a drop for movie discs and has a hard drive attached with files and the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers - have a composite video connection out there so I can bring out an old small monitor and have a display with what is playing).  The Oppo Media Control app is basic but good as well.

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2016, 04:55 pm »
How good is the digital out on the 103 vs 105?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2016, 05:07 pm »
If you're talking using the coax digital out into an external DAC, I'm not sure that one would hear tons of difference.  The 103 is an OK transport (not sure about the 105).  My Marantz DV9600 I sold earlier this year was a better CD transport and many moons ago I owned a Proceed PMDT which was even a better CD transport.  I guess much depends on what one would use as an external DAC too.

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2016, 05:25 pm »
I recently purchased an Oppo 103 off Amazon and while it has lots of nice features the sound quality is a whole nother matter.I have it hooked up to an NAD 356BEE integrated amp with the 103 set to 2 channel mix down.Prior to my acquiring the Oppo The NAD amp was paired with a Marantz cd changer which gave up the ghost.With the Marantz changer,the sound was fine but with the Oppo,the sound went flat with the music lacking oomph,bass,sound staging,etc.What could be the problem?Would having the Oppo 103 modded improve its sound quality?

Try turning off any settings that processes the audio signal in any way and see what that does.

Also, have you tried experimenting with different power cords? With some equipment it seems to make no difference while others demonstrate completely the opposite effect.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2016, 08:58 pm »
I suggest leaving the Oppo 103 on for at least 24hrs and also make sure that you have at least 50hrs or more of break-in before you make a final evaluation.  "Pure Audio" mode does help a bit.  The 103 does respond to better power cords as well.

All of that said, as an Oppo 103 owner I have to say that it's sound quality is just ok. I'm not a fan of the crystal DAC chip it uses.  I primarily use it as a blu ray player and occasional Tidal streamer into an external DAC.  If you plan to use it as a 2 channel music source, you would probably be better off going digital out to a better stand alone DAC in the $700 or more price range. 

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2016, 09:18 pm »

I use coax out which I think sounds very good. but to take it to next level you need to get clock upgrade. I just nodded mine to new clocks. video and sound quality is incredible. Wil post about it later.

for the dac section of the 103 you will probably have to upgrade for serious improvement. look at oppomod..com and you'll get an idea of potential upgrades. and there's a guy on another forum who does amazing stuff too. I'll post in a new thread.

bizyz

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2016, 01:43 pm »
What moderately priced power cord would anyone recommend to replace the stock cord on my 103?

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:38 pm »
What moderately priced power cord would anyone recommend to replace the stock cord on my 103?

As much as I love tweaking, put me down as skeptical on power cord changes for an Oppo - at least any real meaningful improvement at a budget price. You're better off looking for some kind of power conditioner; since the Oppo uses an SMPS, you should reap some benefits there.

bizyz

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:31 pm »
OK,then another question:What about shipping my 103 to a place like The Upgrade Company for modifications?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:25 am »
OK,then another question:What about shipping my 103 to a place like The Upgrade Company for modifications?

I wouldn't blow a lot of money on mods. Will kill your warranty and you will never recoup the investment in resale. Better to spend the money on a better stand alone DAC & use the oppo as a transport.

With that said even devices with switching power supplies respond to better power cords. The wireworld stratus power cord is under $100 and does some power conditioning as well. That what I use on my 103 & it was worth it.