DAC-9

mv

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2015, 07:57 am »
DAC-9 preamp is very high-end using switch resistor design so it won't affect your performance and if you want to "bypass" it because you have a preamp, then just fix its volume. I bet you can get rid of your external preamp.

Shipping December 7 from factory so take about 5 days to reach USA.

Is DAC-10 better than the DAC-9?

rustydoglim

« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:49 pm »
They are different sounding DACs.  And positioned differently.
If you want to have the best all-in-one DACs and headphone amp (the power of DAC-10H is amazing), then DAC-10H is the one. DAC-10 by itself has the clear and detailed sound characteristic of ESS 9018K2M DAC chip.  DAC-9 has the warmer AK4490EQ DAC chip.  In terms of spec, # of inputs, DAC-10 is better than DAC-9.
But if you like warmer sound, then DAC-9 to you will sound better.

In any case, these are all reference class products.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 18 Nov 2015, 09:44 pm »
Hey, how about updating your link (still goes to NuForce) and the NuPrime website?   :P

Could save you answering all these generic questions. 

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:59 am »
They are different sounding DACs.  And positioned differently.
If you want to have the best all-in-one DACs and headphone amp (the power of DAC-10H is amazing), then DAC-10H is the one. DAC-10 by itself has the clear and detailed sound characteristic of ESS 9018K2M DAC chip.  DAC-9 has the warmer AK4490EQ DAC chip.  In terms of spec, # of inputs, DAC-10 is better than DAC-9.
But if you like warmer sound, then DAC-9 to you will sound better.

In any case, these are all reference class products.

Is there any way to get the warmer tonality of the DAC-9/AK4490 but also the balanced headamp of the 10H?

Juventino

« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:24 am »
Any info on the below?

What's the power supply on the unit?
Do you have any info on the analogue stage?

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2015, 07:27 am »
Hey, how about updating your link (still goes to NuForce) and the NuPrime website?   :P

Could save you answering all these generic questions.

????  Interesting, they have been separated for a LONG LONG Time.

Are you using an old link?  :scratch:

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/

Should take you straight to NuPRIME.

Also, in case you haven't read through the threads of who does what, and what goes where, NuPRIME "does" still service and support, all the NuFORCE REFERENCE gear (like Ref 9 monoblocs for example) and still manufactures and offers the REFERENCE 18, REFERENCE 20, and P-20 models.

kevb

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:29 pm »

????  Interesting, they have been separated for a LONG LONG Time.

Are you using an old link?  :scratch:

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/

Should take you straight to NuPRIME.

Also, in case you haven't read through the threads of who does what, and what goes where, NuPRIME "does" still service and support, all the NuFORCE REFERENCE gear (like Ref 9 monoblocs for example) and still manufactures and offers the REFERENCE 18, REFERENCE 20, and P-20 models.

Hi John,

I believe he is referring to the website link (globe) under rusty's avatar.  It still points to the NuForce website. 

giordy60

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:35 pm »
some pictures of the new DAC-9?

mervinpearce

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:46 pm »

giordy60

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2015, 02:30 pm »
thank you  :wink:

giordy60

« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2015, 02:44 pm »
The AK4490 accepts PCM signals up to 768khz, how did you choose him to work up to 384kHz?
( simple curiosity )
The USB receiver is always the Xmos?
on what price range it rests?

rustydoglim

« Reply #31 on: 24 Nov 2015, 08:48 pm »
Our spec is not finalised and it might be 768kHz. Regardless, it is not as simple as you think by simply up sample to 768KHz and it will sound better.  The problem is that it is 1) difficult to design for converting various input freq to output freq and 2) the output filter design can be tricky. Unless you have 768kHz content, there is no point doing that, and it could sound worst.
What we have done internally is to up sample the input signals to MEGA HERTZ using a custom FPGA, and then divide down to the target freq.
This is a better design approach.

giordy60

« Reply #32 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:41 pm »
Unless you have 768kHz content, there is no point doing that, and it could sound worst.

There could be reached by oversampling software  :D

Armaegis

« Reply #33 on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:32 pm »
What we have done internally is to up sample the input signals to MEGA HERTZ using a custom FPGA, and then divide down to the target freq.
This is a better design approach.

Is it perchance a multiple of 2116800Hz? (I'm a math teacher; I literally just taught LCM last week, so this is curious)

rustydoglim

« Reply #34 on: 27 Nov 2015, 06:35 am »
There could be reached by oversampling software  :D

Hey, we have to do it in real time!
Answer another user, we stick to multiple of 44.1 since 88.2, 176.4kHz, ........ are all used by recording professionals.

Armaegis

« Reply #35 on: 27 Nov 2015, 08:47 pm »
I asked because if you're upsampling into the MHz range, then 2116800 is 44.1k and 48k multiplied together. It just seems like a natural step...

Juventino

« Reply #36 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm »
Hello,

Are there any manuals available yet on the Dac-9 now that unit should be ready for shipping.

Would be good to get info on the power supply and the analogue output stage.

Thanks

akopperl

« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2015, 05:54 pm »
DAC-9 preamp is very high-end using switch resistor design so it won't affect your performance and if you want to "bypass" it because you have a preamp, then just fix its volume. I bet you can get rid of your external preamp.

Shipping December 7 from factory so take about 5 days to reach USA.

What is the recommended volume setting for the DAC-9 if you are connecting it to a separate preamp?  In my situation, I'll be using it purely as a DAC connected to the analogue inputs of an Arcam Receiver.

Also, does the DAC-9 convert DSD to PCM or does it process DSD natively without conversion to PCM?  From what I've read, the AKM 4490 chip is capable of processing DSD without any conversion to PCM - although, I believe some manufacturers using the AKM 4490 are still converting DSD to PCM.  I just was hoping to get some clarification regarding the DSD implementation for the DAC-9 since I have a fairly large DSD collection and the AKM 4490 chip seems to be one of the few chips that allows for separate paths for the processing of PCM and DSD.

pewe

« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2015, 01:24 pm »
Are there any pics available from the inside of the DAC 9 ?  And what does the remote look like, is it the same as for the IDA 16?

Juventino

« Reply #39 on: 28 Dec 2015, 11:39 am »
Has anyone received their DAC-9 yet?

Any review? what have you compared it with?