Converting .wav to FLAC within EAC

cloudbaseracer

Converting .wav to FLAC within EAC
« on: 29 Aug 2008, 03:12 am »
I have just gotten a Squeezebox duet and so I am trying to set everything up. First off, I downloaded Exact Audio Copy to rip the music.  My goal is for the files to be in FLAC.  The first disks I have loaded are saved in a file I created in WAV format instead of FLAC.  I have read some forums that say that EAC normally saves to WAV and then through some process will convert into FLAC after a DOS screen comes up and asks if you want to delete the original WAV files.  Well, for me I am not getting the option to convert these files to FLAC and wonder if any of you guys have suggestions?  I have searched numerous forums but not found the answers to my situation.

I have not even gotten started on the streaming issues.  I hope it is not as difficult as this EAC stuff been.

James

lcrim

Re: Converting .wav to FLAC within EAC
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2008, 03:28 am »
I've been using dbpoweramp to rip recently and I like the fact that it grabs the cover art from off the web and is at least as accurate as EAC.
In EAC just substitute the flac codec for Lame  and then when you rip as Lame you will get flac. Fairly easy to set up that part but the metadata tagging is a bit more difficult to set up.  With dbpoweramp setting up tagging was dead easy.

jkelly

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2008, 03:32 am »
have you installed flac and ticked external compressor and told eac to use flac?

while out of date this should get you started

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30959

sorry for typing on car pc

jeff

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2008, 02:38 am »
have you installed flac and ticked external compressor and told eac to use flac?

jeff

Jeff,

Maybe silly of me but I see FLAC as a download but also something called AutoFLAC and AccurateRip.  This is from the sources you suggested plus several others I have searched. 

From HydrogenAudio link:

"First, install EAC V0.95, Accurate Rip and configure with a key disk, and FLAC" 

From FLAC download FAQ page--- http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

"AutoFLAC for automated ripping and encoding to FLAC with EAC (ExactAudioCopy); also has a write mode for burning back to CD for an exact copy"

What is the difference?  Do I need the AccurateRip?  I have not had time to go through ALL the extensive information websites so forgive me.

As well, I am concerned that I get the correct settings for EAC after the FLAC converting software is installed.  Like most I only want to do the cd ripping only one time and there seem to be many options as well as suggested configurations. 

James

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2008, 03:04 am »

jeff

Hi Jeff

I have a related question. I did exactly what you advised, that is, checked external compression and directed flac. Very oddly, the files are saved in wav. format and this has got me  :scratch: I wonder what I have done wrong? Should the ripped files be flac. instead of wav?

Best Regards
Dennis

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2008, 03:29 am »
With the older version of EAC I was using you had to use the MP3 button (iirc) to initiate the cd rip to flac, I don't know if that's how it's still set up.

I totally agree with Larry, DBPower is far easier to use and every bit as accurate.  Flac is pre-installed and tagging / album art is automatic.  You can download a 3 week free trial from their site here  Like everything else, there are a few tricks to learn to file everything consistently and insure the proper tagging and artwork.  After ripping 2000+ cd's I only have 4 or 5 that still need artwork to be added, best $35 I've spent in a while!

jkelly

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2008, 03:39 am »
Yes - the mp3 is the compressor button and if you told EAC to use flac.exe then it will compress it in flac not mp3.
(little confusing!  If you click on wav - that is what you will get.

AutoFLAC is not necessary but does automate things for you like the issue above and also creates a cue sheet for
recreating the cd later.  The readme in AutoFlac has the settings I use for EAC and filenames and track names etc
so if you are unhappy with what you have you should take a look at the readme.

I don't believe it will do you any harm to install since you use it by clicking on the Autoflac.exe and it will bring up EAC.

AccurateRip allows you to review and share information about the rip to see if you are getting similar results to
other people which can be useful (and other things).  You have to use a key disk to calibrate the program. 
A key disk comes from a list of commercial cd's that you put in for a few seconds.

Once you get things going it gets easy.