Prognosis...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Prognosis...
« on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:44 am »
I went to see the cardio/thoracic surgeon on Monday.  My whole world and outlook on my health took a 120 degree turn. Not 180 or 90.  Let me explain.

For two years following my accident, I have been having doctors tell me that I needed to have surgery to correct my fragmented sternum and to retrieve bone shards that could potentially puncture my lungs or my heart.  I have been on lifting restrictions since the accident for fear of what "could happen".  These have driven my life and work since the accident.  All of those restrictions have been removed.  Seems that the shards have been encapsulated by fibrous tissue that has grown around them.  This is the good part.  Bad part is that these adhesions are partially responsible for my pain.  Good to know that I can lift "until the pain is too severe".  Nice.

To make a very long story as short as possible Dr. Castlemain does not want to do surgery on me due to my history of MRSA.  Neither he nor I wanted to deal with the potential of a fatal infection from the surgery.
That leaves the final issue of pain management.  Pain and the corresponding referred pain and muscle spasms in my back are now the primary issues.  Pain sucks.  I have a fairly high tolerance, but it is grinding me down.

Onward and upward  8)

All of this has completely turned my head around. I have been living with certain expectations and these are now memories.

I have let my stocks deplete on some very important pieces/parts and will need to replenish these.  In the past I have limited my workload out of caution for what now is a non-issue.  All that remains now is to get back up to speed and get supplies inbound.

To say that I am relieved is an understatement.  Switching gears will take a little while.

Like I said: pain sucks.  Pain?  I can do the pain with proper non-narcotic remedies.

Life is good.  It is good to be back on all levels.

Thanks to all of of you that have written often and shown your support and supported Gayle and me through prayer.

Whew!   :thumb:

Dave

Brad

Re: Prognosis...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:47 am »
Yay fibrous tissue
Boo pain    :evil:

Yay Dave back at doing what he loves to do   :thumb:

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:03 am »
Good to hear that shards of bony shrapnel aren't going to kill you  :o.  Not good to hear that it's going to hurt.  However, with the prevalence of resistant staph and your patient history, I understand the reluctance to undergo surgery. 
Hopefully, you'll find a pain relief system that will let you move forward. 
Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2014, 08:28 pm by S Clark »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:14 am »
Dave,
Glad to hear that things are mending and not going to do something awful to you!  :o

Hope you find a pain relief system that works for you to keep on keeping on!

Keep us posted if we can help in any way.

Best,
Rich

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:51 am »
Dave,
Overall, it would seem to be pretty  good  news ....
I agree, the pain does suck but  like you've said, it can be  dealt with.  Finding a good balance betwen a pain manaemtn system and  work load will be key .
Not requiring  the surgery to deal with the bone shards  is a huge plus, I know  it must be a big relief not having to worry about the  risk of a post-op relapse of the MRSA.

Again, pretty  good news overall   :thumb:

-jay

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:50 pm »
Good to hear, kind of....

There is an alternative pain management regimen available in Colorado.  Let's see how it does at RMAF!  :eyebrows:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:03 pm »
Thanks everyone.  It is a relief and a minor shocker.  One step at a time and we'll see how it all goes.

The alternative medication ... I certainly felt little pain in the '60s.  8)  I've moved on since then.   :thumb:

Onward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:37 pm »
While the pain part does suck, sure seems good overall, excellent!

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:00 pm »
Good to hear, kind of....

There is an alternative pain management regimen available in Colorado.  Let's see how it does at RMAF!  :eyebrows:

You don't need to go to Colorado. A number of states have medical marijuana.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about the pain Dave, but very happy you are able to keep on truckin without surgery.

Best,
Ed

dflee

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:20 pm »
Really glad to hear things are lookin up! Keep on keepin on.
Definitely has to put you in a better mind set (not a problem for me with no mind).

Nit

mjock3

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2014, 03:08 pm »
Thanks for the update Dave. Wishing you and Gayle the best.

fridays

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:28 am »
Darn good news Dave
I'd think outside the box with the pain management, meaning I do not like trust or believe Drs

Scottdazzle

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2014, 01:03 pm »
Glad to hear the outlook is a little better!