Open-Baffle lack of impact

JohnR

Re: Open-Baffle lack of impact
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2016, 09:43 am »
IIRC my measurements of bass response just said be at least a meter from the wall. The key thing though is to get close to the listener.

evsentry3

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:30 am »
Interesting that John is talking about placing woofers close.  I just experienced this by chance recently.

At an audio get together, I had my OB stacks.  When placed forward in the small area I had to use, the soundstage was too blocked off and it just didn't work.  So experimentally, I tried pulling the woofer lines over close to the listening chair on each side.  It really worked!

Hard to tell maybe in the photo...but the woofers were just a little out of reach from the listening chair.  I was asked several times by folks if they were on...not from lack of bass but because all the image was in the front.  It actually was spectacular bass.  Different than what I have at home in a much bigger room where I usually have them just outside the mains. 

It worked well enough to think I'll have to try a similar setup now here at home. 

EV3

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:08 am »
EV3,

Soo cool!  A very interesting set up.  :scratch:  Please tell us/me more  8)

What drivers are you using? Amps? Crossovers? DSP?

Spill dude we/I gotta know!

Chris

evsentry3

« Reply #23 on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:37 pm »
Hi Chris,

Really simple system.  A stack of three Tang Band 1808 drivers for mains.  Then a stack of four 10" Goldwood GW-410D drivers for bass.  I parallel a lot on these as I'm running with First Watt F-1 current source amps, 1 for each side, and a lower impedance load is fine as long as I don't over run the power total.  So I've got 10 watts for each stack available.

Then some of the really cool stuff is that I don't find any need for any eq or any high level elements at all.  I simply cross at about 80hz with a Bryston 10B and run an all balanced system.  I've played with and without any crossover acting as a high pass for the TB's and actually like it better without as long as I keep my levels modest...which I usually do.  Small differences either way.

Dynamics are monumental, soundstage huge and deep, and efficiency high.  Response sounds and measures pretty flat.  Highs are very nice from the TB's.  I actually had some look under the curtain in the center front to make sure a center driver wasn't hidden, the center was so deep.  And these were experienced listeners!

But I did find the bass excellent with the odd setup and very much matches what John is talking about.

EV3

rodge827

« Reply #24 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:00 pm »
EV3,

Very nice...Thank you for the info  :D

Chris

brad944911

« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:06 pm »
  Hey guys, what happened to the OP?
  I'm wondering here why no one has brought up...power?  Speaker size?  Excursion?  All these aspects would play a role in the "impact" arena...right?  When thinking of the impact of real instruments, I relate to percussion...I'm a drummer  :thumb: Size:  Look at the snare, it's only 14 inches in diameter in most cases.  If someone gives it a whack and you're near, you'll feel it.  Move away, its gone.  Kick that bass...22" and you'll feel the impact up to a couple meters away and it fades, but still audible.  Power:  transients focus a LOT of energy in a narrow band and if your amp is not up to it, you can't push the speaker enough to excite enough air to feel the "impact".  Excursion:  Ever seen what happens to a drum head?  Those things move a lot of air...so must the speakers to feel the "impact".  Bass vs tom-tom here.
  All this to say if the people on the other sites the OP referenced are saying that an OB with one tweet, one 10 and maybe a 15 using a 100 watt amp with passive crossovers lack impact...well yup, it likely will.  I found this out with my first OB and I was looking for the same thing...impact of the transients; to feel and hear the music like I do when playing.  I ended up with multiple drivers, four crown amps and dsp.  Now I have "impact".
  Just my thoughts, nothing scientific.   :green:
Brad

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 6 Oct 2016, 04:54 pm »
Well with two 6x12" servo sub arrays and two HX800 servo amps, no problem with impact in the OB H-Frames in The Megaliths.

Now to get some ribbon tweeter arrays installed.

rodge827

« Reply #27 on: 6 Oct 2016, 09:29 pm »
Well with two 6x12" servo sub arrays and two HX800 servo amps, no problem with impact in the OB H-Frames in The Megaliths.

Now to get some ribbon tweeter arrays installed.

Show off!  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t99WjRi7T4

Beautiful HAL how long before you install the ribbons from Greg?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 7 Oct 2016, 02:32 am »
Just having a little fun!  :lol:

Started the install process and have a method.  Hope to have some time to fully install them soon.