New review for Spatial Audio Hologram M4 speakers

PHamm

New review for Spatial Audio Hologram M4 speakers
« on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:00 pm »
 For those who are interested, John Darko has now posted a very positive review of the Hologram M4 which includes info about the design and construction.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/04/spatial-audio-factory-tour-hologram-m4-review/

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: New review for Spatial Audio Hologram M4 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:05 pm »
PHamm! Thank you. I look forward to watching  :o  the videos tonight.

Best,
Anand.

digitalzed

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:48 pm »
Ordered a pair of red M4 Turbo S last week. I should have them at the end of next week sometime and can't wait. After reading this forum and some online reviews I called the company and was pleasantly surprised to reach Clayton directly. He spent forty-five minutes talking to me, answering my questions and just talking speakers. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to not only reach a really well informed person at a company, but the owner himself. Clayton was a wealth of information and without really even trying sealed the deal for me. A great initial experience and really looking forward to getting these speakers into my system.

md92468

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:59 pm »
Ordered a pair of red M4 Turbo S last week. I should have them at the end of next week sometime and can't wait. After reading this forum and some online reviews I called the company and was pleasantly surprised to reach Clayton directly. He spent forty-five minutes talking to me, answering my questions and just talking speakers. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to not only reach a really well informed person at a company, but the owner himself. Clayton was a wealth of information and without really even trying sealed the deal for me. A great initial experience and really looking forward to getting these speakers into my system.

Welcome aboard, digitalzed...prepare to be wowed. ;) Clayton's a class act all the way – a guy who clearly really cares about bringing great sound to the masses. Love it when the good guys succeed.

digitalzed

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2016, 10:34 pm »
Welcome aboard, digitalzed...prepare to be wowed. ;) Clayton's a class act all the way – a guy who clearly really cares about bringing great sound to the masses. Love it when the good guys succeed.

Thanks md92468. I like when the good guys succeed, too. I am SO prepared to be wowed that I almost can't stand it!

md92468

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2016, 10:39 pm »
Thanks md92468. I like when the good guys succeed, too. I am SO prepared to be wowed that I almost can't stand it!

I'm still having giddy moments listening...I upgraded from a base model to the Turbo S after breaking in the first pair, so I got to experience the "It gets better?!?!?" curve twice. ;) Congrats man...you're in for a treat.

rebbi

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:52 pm »
I just uploaded an update to my M4 review right here. Enjoy!   :D

digitalzed

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:54 pm »
I'm still having giddy moments listening...I upgraded from a base model to the Turbo S after breaking in the first pair, so I got to experience the "It gets better?!?!?" curve twice. ;) Congrats man...you're in for a treat.
I went straight Turbo S. AS I get older I've learned not to wish time away, but it's hard waiting!!

rebbi

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:54 pm »

MD:

When I spoke to Clayton about the possibility of moving up from the Turbo to the Turbo S, he joked that, "When you get to be our age [late 50s], you might not hear the difference…"

Right now, I have the [now discontinued] base model, but with the "Turbo" crossover parts – I just don't have the nicer binding posts. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you perceive to be the differences between the base model and the Turbo S, if you don't mind. Thank you!

digitalzed

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:56 pm »
I just uploaded an update to my M4 review right here. Enjoy!   :D
Thanks rebbi. It was your original review that really helped pique my interest and get me to call Clayton. In speaking to Clayton yesterday he said that the best way to break in the M4 was to let it play continuously for several days, if possible, and at quite loud volumes in order to get the magnet moving the compression drivers well. The magnet is so heavy that it seems it won't move much at lower volumes and after getting it moving for some time, the speaker will really break in and open up.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2016, 04:46 pm »
rebbi,

Can you share your final placement?  Distance from the back wall, side walls, between, and toe?

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:04 pm »
Is the M4 sweet spot like listening to the Sanders Electrostatic - very small but WOW.

digitalzed

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:07 pm »
Is the M4 sweet spot like listening to the Sanders Electrostatic - very small but WOW.
I can't say from personal experience yet, but I asked Clayton the same thing and he said no. Spatial speakers are meant to fill the room with sound because of the open baffle design. Dialing in the sweet spot "should" just bring everything more into focus but not draw it to a small spot. Any Spatial owners feel differently I defer to them because I haven't experienced the speakers for myself yet.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:52 pm »
I went straight Turbo S.
Me too!  M3 Turbo S

Neworleanssooner

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2016, 02:09 pm »
Rebbi, your review was informative and extremely thorough.  Between your review and Ben's video review on New Record Day I will be pulling the trigger on some Spatial's soon to run with my Rogue Cronus Magnum II.  I just have to figure which model (M3 or M4) is best suited for my 11x13 room. 

Beatlebum

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2016, 04:29 pm »
jtwrace,

Have you received your M3 Turbo S yet? If so, what do you think? Is a sub required? I heard these at Axpona and I was really impressed with their clarity and dynamics.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2016, 04:55 pm »
I'm interested in how everyone has these setup in their room.
Like how far away from the back wall ect..

schw06

« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2016, 05:13 pm »
I'm interested in how everyone has these setup in their room.
Like how far away from the back wall ect..
I may be an outlier on this but my M3 turbo S's are about 6 feet out into the room and almost 11.5 feet apart on center putting them about 32 inches on center from the side walls. My room is ~17x24x10
David

jseymour

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2016, 05:14 pm »
Received my M3 Turbo S pair on Thursday.   Room is 17' 3" wide by 33' long.  Speakers are 3' 6" from side walls and measuring from the front baffle the inner edge is 36" and the outer edge is 40" from the back wall.  I have been moving them a bit, but this seems to be close to ideal for now.

jseymour

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2016, 02:40 am »
schw06, intrigued by how you set up your speakers, I pulled mine out another 16" from the wall and my soundstage depth increased by more than double.  I would be interested in knowing what your toe in is and how far away you normally listen from the speakers.  Thanks.