Spatial Audio M3 Review

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Spatial Audio M3 Review
« Reply #140 on: 9 May 2016, 10:17 am »
Didn't find the FB comments regarding classical/easy listening not well served by Spatial Audio (what model?).  Not knowing the source, must take the comment with a grain of salt.  Agree that it doesn't make sense that particular genre's (especially easy listening) wouldn't synergize.

But I did read Steve Stone's review there and am greatly confused on his repeated statements of controlled bass dispersion from the M3.  How can an open baffle design only disperse bass in a forward 80 degree range?  This would violate a couple laws of physics (as I understand them).

mirekti

« Reply #141 on: 9 May 2016, 02:11 pm »
Didn't find the FB comments regarding classical/easy listening not well served by Spatial Audio (what model?).

But I did read Steve Stone's review there and...

It was in one of the comments under Stone's review where a lady complained about the finish.
I agree with 80 degrees for the bass.

Steven Stone

« Reply #142 on: 9 May 2016, 02:20 pm »
It was in one of the comments under Stone's review where a lady complained about the finish.
I agree with 80 degrees for the bass.

Since I listen to 50% classical I find the "doesn't do classical" statement to be completely different than my own experience. Since she gives no context, I can only take it with a boulder-sized grain of salt. Perhaps the M3s revealed the weakness in her source, but without context it is pretty much useless troll-bait. As for the bass response, the M3 cancels side and has very little rear bass response. Just walk around one while playing to confirm this.

mirekti

« Reply #143 on: 9 May 2016, 02:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I understand the bass is controlled, but I wouldn't think it is 80 degrees.
Maybe this information was related to 800 Hz and up, not sure...

md92468

« Reply #144 on: 9 May 2016, 03:12 pm »
"If you're a classical listener or the easy listening type, consider something else"

I couldn't disagree with this more. I've had my M4s for 4 months now and regularly listen to classical music – everything from the intimate to the bombastic – and I couldn't be happier with their dynamics or timbral presentation. Horses for courses, I guess.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #145 on: 9 May 2016, 04:28 pm »
Hard to argue with that, I'd say!  :lol:

And yet it still doesn't add any substance to his disagreement. Oh well, at least Steven Stone and md92468 were willing to put in the effort to formulate a useful response.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #146 on: 9 May 2016, 09:47 pm »
Dipoles radiate in a figure 8 fashion.  The same goes out the rear as out the front.  However, the two are opposite phase.  How the bass sounds in the room (including behind a dipole woofer) depends on the location of the speaker from the back and front walls, etc.  If you had the speaker in the middle of the room, you would have nearly the same response front and rear (the rear would have negative phase, however).  At least that is what I remember from reading.  Could be wrong.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: 17 May 2016, 01:45 pm »
I've been really digging the M3 Turbo S with Vinnie Rossi LIO combination.   :thumb:  For ~$10k it's a killer system IMO.  :singing:

I've discovered that I no longer need sleep since I stay up too late listening.   :o

My LIO has:
DSD Dac with power option for µRendu
Mosfet Amp
Silver AVC/Tubestage
Headphone Amp
Inputs
Outputs

mirekti

« Reply #148 on: 17 May 2016, 02:30 pm »
Give us some photos of the setup!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #149 on: 17 May 2016, 02:56 pm »
Give us some photos of the setup!!
Not much to show at this point since I'm moving...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #150 on: 27 May 2016, 01:44 am »
Just received shipping info from Clayton.   :hyper: :hyper:

I will have a white pair of M3 Turbo S speakers in the house next week.   :green:

I will be using the following equipment with the M3's:

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, DAC)
Atsah NC 1200 mono blocks
Auarlic Vega DAC
Sonore microRendu

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #151 on: 27 May 2016, 01:50 am »
Just received shipping info from Clayton.   :hyper: :hyper:

I will have a white pair of M3 Turbo S speakers in the house next week.   :green:

I will be using the following equipment with the M3's:

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, DAC)
Atsah NC 1200 mono blocks
Auarlic Vega DAC
Sonore microRendu

George
Great news!

You're in for a MASSIVE treat IMO.   :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #152 on: 27 May 2016, 02:06 am »
Looks like some Vandy's will be for sale soon  8)

Enjoy George and welcome to the world of CD   :green:

Best,

Anand.

shahed

« Reply #153 on: 9 Aug 2016, 09:08 pm »
Curious how Tekton Design OB Sigma would compare to M3/M4.

DavidS

« Reply #154 on: 27 Nov 2016, 07:51 pm »
feeding this old topic as it was quite influential in me becoming an M3 owner (Turbo S)

I am on day three - so about 25 hours of break-in so far... have read these need lots of break-in time.

I was a long time Maggie owner - 80's and 90's, the sound is reminiscent of this but with dynamics like my long missed Druids or single driver speakers I have heard.  Very different sound than my Merlin TSM's. My boys who are now 6'5ish but it seemed learned to walking hanging onto my maggies have been amazed with the sound - we had the Weekend's new one visiting yesterday.

As you will note if the photo works these are in a small room (12 x 14) - I was concerned about M3's and nearly bought M4's - but so far loving the M3's in small room.  I have option of moving to 18 x 35 living room; although my wife is not impressed with the look of these beauties so far. 

Some questions:

1.  I am using the plastic feet vs the spikes - do the spikes make a difference:
2.  I have not angled them although they naturally sit back a bit - stick with the stock setup?
3.  what about toe in - have played much with this just very slight toe in at my listening chair
4.  what speaker cables are you using - mine are wywires, just wonder if there is good symmetry with a particular type of wire

Just fyi - single source at this point using a microrendu to feed Roon to my Lampizator (through an M2 Tech Evo spdif convertor)

Amp is a Blue Circle DAR although can barely get volume passed 9 o'clock

http://www.audiocircle.com/thumbnails/user/2677/22025/154123_thumbnail.jpeg

DavidS

« Reply #155 on: 12 Dec 2016, 01:21 am »
Tonight playing the Stones new one Blue and Lonesome pretty loud the M3's overwhelm the room.  Sounds great next door in the larger kitchen dining room but walk into the dedicated room and its just loud blurrrr - weird how the music can sound so great one room over but not so great in the room. 

This morning Nat King Cole doing Christmas tunes at more reasonable volume was in the room - fabulous that something from 50+ years ago can feel and sound so real.  The Stones sound really good at any volume on my headphone system.  Love these speakers - spent a bunch of years with Magnepan M12's - these are a lot like them but with souped up dynamics and speed is a good word.  Just not sure my small room will ever be great with any speaker - more time I spend particularly with more complex music needs room to breath and float about. 

Once the Christmas tree is gone the M3's will be spending time in my larger living room.  Also have new amp and preamp on the way so will be interesting with M3's vs the Blue Circle DAR.

sunnydaze

« Reply #156 on: 12 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm »
.......Just not sure my small room will ever be great with any speaker - more time I spend particularly with more complex music needs room to breath and float about. 

I'm in a smaller room than yours (10 x 11) and get fantastic results with both my Omega Super 7XRS Mk2 and JM Reynaud Twins Mk3 speakers.  I use a sub with both.

A local friend gets great sound with Omega Super 3XRS in a similar sized room.

Small room, small gear, big sound!

Give Omega a shot.  You will be impressed by the speed, dynamics and resolution.  Add a sub if you need more bass.

mick wolfe

« Reply #157 on: 12 Dec 2016, 04:08 pm »
I can't speak for every 10x11 room ( yes, I've got one too), but in my case only two speakers have really clicked for me. The Ohm 1000 and the Omega RS5 "Omni". Both are floorstanding designs and do a superb disappearing act in this small space. In fact, they both (recording permitting) seem to "enlarge" the space. I've tried several monitor types, but in a room this size, I'm convinced the "omni" approach yields the most pleasing results......at least for me. I also have a pair of Spatial M2 Turbo's which spent a few days in the above mentioned small room. They actually worked to a degree with a notable "front row" presentation, but they did have a tendency to overwhelm the room. The Spatials really open up and sing much better when given more breathing room.

SFDude

« Reply #158 on: 12 Dec 2016, 04:14 pm »
I was a long time Maggie owner - 80's and 90's, the sound is reminiscent of this but with dynamics like my long missed Druids or single driver speakers I have heard.  Very different sound than my Merlin TSM's. My boys who are now 6'5ish but it seemed learned to walking hanging onto my maggies have been amazed with the sound - we had the Weekend's new one visiting yesterday.

Looks like you have had some similar gear and experiences in the past. Had a pair of VSM-Ms many years ago and loved those with tubes. Moving forced me to sell them locally unfortunately or I would have kept those until now.

As you will note if the photo works these are in a small room (12 x 14) - I was concerned about M3's and nearly bought M4's - but so far loving the M3's in small room.  I have option of moving to 18 x 35 living room; although my wife is not impressed with the look of these beauties so far. 

I'm using in a similar sized room as well (13x14). They are sitting about 3 ft away from the front wall currently and I'm nearly the same distance seated from the rear wall. Clayton suggested I put sound absorption/diffusion on the rear wall so that will be my next project.

Some questions:

1.  I am using the plastic feet vs the spikes - do the spikes make a difference:
2.  I have not angled them although they naturally sit back a bit - stick with the stock setup?
3.  what about toe in - have played much with this just very slight toe in at my listening chair
4.  what speaker cables are you using - mine are wywires, just wonder if there is good symmetry with a particular type of wire

1. Spikes on carpet here.
2. I've angled them towards the outside of my ears in my listening position. Too closely directed towards me ears and the soundstage collapses to a noticeable degree.
3. See above.
4. I'm using a pair of CEntrance cables (standard stuff) but also have a pair of Anti-Cables level 2. Will swap that when I get a chance to later on (these things are a PITA to flex/bend to the correct shape and not have it move my amps around on my rack).

Hope you're enjoying. I am very much so daily as they break in (taking a LONG time).

roscoeiii

« Reply #159 on: 12 Dec 2016, 05:26 pm »
If the Spatials aren't working in that small room, you might want to reach out to ACer HiFiJeff. He mentioned that he plans to put his Omegas up for sale shortly (upgrading to a different Omega model, IIRC).