Bryston Loudspeakers

Sco77 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 959818 times.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2560 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:15 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston Mini A – L.C.R. Review

June 2017

Bryston’s Mini A Bookshelf And AC-1 Micro Centre Channel

The Mighty Minis

Many AV enthusiasts would agree that by far the most critical speakers in any home cinema setup would be the three speakers up front which consist of both left and right channels along with the center channel which anchors the sound to the image on screen. Some would argue that a subwoofer would be the most valued component in a system, but without these three channels performing to par, the entire shebang would be a total let down. After all, the main focus on sound when it comes to any movie would be to deliver intelligible dialogue, together with a detailed albeit powerful main score and effects for the entire film.

Bryston, a brand synonymous with delivering high powered, heavy hitting and “tank like” construction Hi-Fi equipment which are all revered in its own right, has also produced the AC-1 Micro which was specifically built to be a center channel to complement the Mini A bookshelf speakers. The Mini A’s which are known in the Hi-Fi realm for delivering transparent, detailed and highly enjoyable sound proves to be an excellent choice to be utilized in a home cinema setup when paired with the AC-1 Micro. The two speakers are quite well matched both in size, build and sonic characteristic as to be used as a system to line the front of your home cinema system.

The AC-1 micro is a two way design speaker utilizing 3 drivers. A single 1 inch tweeter paired up with dual 5.25 inch mid-bass woofers. The entire cabinet of the speaker is rather diminutive at a width of 17 inches and a height of 7.5 inches. It’s also worth noting that the AC-1 Micro is a sealed design with only the speaker terminals at the back, making the speaker a lot more forgiving when it comes to placement and positioning. The cabinet also matches the aesthetics of the Mini A bookshelf’s, employing the same chamfered edges, lining the longest side of the speaker which in the case of the AC-1 runs perpendicular to the Mini A for a somewhat coherent look.

The front and rear of the Bryston Mini A.  Note the bi-wirable speaker terminals and unique bass port the latter designed to minimise low frequency chaffing

The front and rear of the Bryston Mini A. Note the bi-wirable speaker terminals and unique bass port the latter designed to minimise low frequency chaffing

Unlike the Mini A with its lower 87 dB sensitivity, the AC-1 is a little more sensitive with a higher rating of 90 dB.  It is also a little more powerful with a maximum handling ability of 200 watts. Irrespective of these specifications, the AC-1 is a perfect complement to the Mini A especially when used in a multichannel home theater setup. Even though different when it comes to their driver configuration as well as their driver dimensions, the individual characteristics of these speakers come together to create a complete cohesive image.

The mini A which is a 3 way design speaker and is ported at the rear, work wonderfully to deliver a full bodied, weighty sound which is in stark contrast to their smallish size. Bass response is also particularly good with the rear ports of the Mini A effectively going deep without bloating or muddling the sound. Overall the 3 speakers work together seamlessly handling sharp dynamic shifts well, while keeping each particular sound in the right place at the right levels. The sense of scale and authority that these little boxes are capable of is pretty impressive as they are capable of filling a large room with sound effortlessly.

These little wonders from Bryston are a titanic step up in performance when compared to the usual home theater in a box solutions as well as even most basic separates systems.

The asking price for the Mini A and the AC-1 might seem like a sizeable sum, but when you take into account the solid build, high performance and ridiculously confident warranty, the Bryston speakers do come off as a pairing of great value. The pedigree that Bryston delivers with the Mini A and AC-1 suggests that these speakers are also capable of lasting through a number of receiver upgrades before needing to be swapped out themselves as the extent of their abilities are pretty far reaching.

This combo is one that is designed to deliver astonishing performance at a great value in a package that’s small yet pleasing to the eyes.

Article by Venoth Nair

Rider20

« Reply #2561 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:12 am »
Hi James, I'm curious...

Is it possible to purchase a single Mini A bookshelf speaker to use as a center channel?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2562 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:35 am »
Hi James, I'm curious...

Is it possible to purchase a single Mini A bookshelf speaker to use as a center channel?

Yes that is doable.

james

Rider20

« Reply #2563 on: 23 Jun 2017, 05:33 am »
Yes that is doable.

james

That's great James, thanks! One other question for you, kind of a strange one so bear with me...

Would there be any downside or negative effects to using the Mini A (as a center channel) upside down so that the tweeter is at the bottom and the 6.5" driver is at the top?

The reason is that I have my center channel mounted above the TV, and setting the Mini A upright on top of the screen will put the tweeter a fair distance above the screen. Setting the speaker upside down would bring the Tweeter much closer and have less disconnect from the image on-screen.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2564 on: 23 Jun 2017, 10:27 am »
That's great James, thanks! One other question for you, kind of a strange one so bear with me...

Would there be any downside or negative effects to using the Mini A (as a center channel) upside down so that the tweeter is at the bottom and the 6.5" driver is at the top?

The reason is that I have my center channel mounted above the TV, and setting the Mini A upright on top of the screen will put the tweeter a fair distance above the screen. Setting the speaker upside down would bring the Tweeter much closer and have less disconnect from the image on-screen.

Hi Rider

No problem at all reversing the speaker position.  All Bryston speakers are designed to have excellent on and off axis dispersion so that allows for great flexibility in placement.  In fact some customers have even used the Mini A in a horizontal position.

james

Rider20

« Reply #2565 on: 24 Jun 2017, 05:10 am »
Hi Rider

No problem at all reversing the speaker position.  All Bryston speakers are designed to have excellent on and off axis dispersion so that allows for great flexibility in placement.  In fact some customers have even used the Mini A in a horizontal position.

james

Awesome, that helps a lot.

Horizontal placement of the Mini A above the TV would probably make for a more convenient option than setting it upside down, thanks for the suggestion!! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2566 on: 24 Jun 2017, 11:13 am »
SUBJECT: Vancouver HI-Fi Center Audio Show

June 2017

Hi Folks,

Great Bryston Active speaker setup and sound at our dealer in Vancouver:

Hi-Fi Center

This is a full Active Bryston system:

•   Model T Active Speakers

•   BAX-1 Active Digital Crossover

•   14B Cubed Amplifier

•   7B Cubed Amplifier (2)

•   4B Cubed Amplifier

•   BP26 Preamplifier

•   BDP-2 Digital Player

•   BDA-3 DAC

•   BIT 20 Isolation Transformer’

As one customer commented – “I WANT IT ALL!”

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2567 on: 3 Jul 2017, 02:04 pm »
Hi James

Have had the Model T Mini speakers for over a year now; used with tube amps.

I very much like these for classic/jazz and large scale vocal performances.

I am 71 years of age and have had many speakers over the years.  I never lost my love and appreciation for the venerable AR 3a.  So much has come and gone from my little gray cells- but the sound of that speaker system will always be with me- especially its understated and accurate bass. 

Those (not so mini) T's  come very close in many respects.

Thanks for providing a great speaker system reasonably priced!

Thank you
Jerry

Lilian

« Reply #2568 on: 3 Jul 2017, 06:10 pm »
Hello James,

I would like to know if Bryston speakers A2 have similar problems as Revel F206, as it was mentioned here:

>>The Revels don’t lose control but mandate attention of their distance from the seat. They should be at least 2.5m away and preferably more than 3 meters. Only then do all these drivers cohere to stop telegraphing separately. With proper positioning it’s then difficult to identify the crossover points between drivers.""

My distance of speakers from the seats is 2,5 m in my room.

I would very appreciate if you help me as I have no ability to try it at home and listen it live.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2569 on: 3 Jul 2017, 06:32 pm »
Hello James,

I would like to know if Bryston speakers A2 have similar problems as Revel F206, as it was mentioned here:

>>The Revels don’t lose control but mandate attention of their distance from the seat. They should be at least 2.5m away and preferably more than 3 meters. Only then do all these drivers cohere to stop telegraphing separately. With proper positioning it’s then difficult to identify the crossover points between drivers.""

My distance of speakers from the seats is 2,5 m in my room.

I would very appreciate if you help me as I have no ability to try it at home and listen it live.

Hi Lilian

The A2 you need to be about a meter away.

james

gene9p

« Reply #2570 on: 4 Jul 2017, 02:28 am »
I am using a Parasound A21 250 watts per channel , 400 at 4 ohms,amp with my Mini t's. I have an opportunity to trade in for a new  McIntosh 152 amp that delivers 150 per channel regardless of 2, 4, or 8 ohms load. Would this work with the speakers or is it better to keep the  A21?

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2571 on: 8 Jul 2017, 02:46 pm »
I am using a Parasound A21 250 watts per channel , 400 at 4 ohms,amp with my Mini t's. I have an opportunity to trade in for a new  McIntosh 152 amp that delivers 150 per channel regardless of 2, 4, or 8 ohms load. Would this work with the speakers or is it better to keep the  A21?

G9P,  if i may, I would suggest considering the purchase of a Bryston 3B or 4B (200 or 300 wpc) over the Mac.  Obviously, the bryston amps are well matched to the Mini T's. cheers, TJ

gene9p

« Reply #2572 on: 9 Jul 2017, 01:54 pm »
thanks...I have been considering that option as well..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2573 on: 30 Jul 2017, 03:12 pm »
SUBJECT:  Bryston Mini T Speaker – Customer Feedback

July 2017

Hi Folks,

My new Bryston Mini T speakers arrived earlier today and playing solo piano and guitar CDs most of the day, however I did sneak in some Sinatra/Jobim.

Damn impressive right outta the box.

Nice soundstage and smooth highs, which I am sure will improve with time.

Well done Bryston.

UPDATE:   

After almost a week and 35 or so hours on these bad boys, gotta say:

•   DAMN FINE BOXES!

They sound great with my MA6600. Could not be happier with this addition. They continue to impress with every listen.

Humbuster

brwsaw

« Reply #2574 on: 31 Jul 2017, 05:04 am »
I like that stand. Visually they go well together.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2575 on: 31 Jul 2017, 10:27 am »
I like that stand. Visually they go well together.

Thanks - its the Target stand.

james

mav52

« Reply #2576 on: 7 Aug 2017, 04:45 pm »
The Axiom drivers are all excellent in design and are all custom to Axiom speakers. I looked around a lot for a partner on this and I was mighty impressed with the Axiom company and the science behind there loudspeakers (they even have their own Anechoic Chamber in the factory).  Also the engineer behind a lot of the Mirage products (API) is now one of the designers at Axiom and I am working with him on this project.

The comments are indicative though of how people just dismiss a product like Axiom because it does not appear to cost enough.  I can tell you the M80 - which I have in my room now is one hell of a speaker. :thumb:

james

James someone asked me what drivers you were using in all of your speakers, so it is Axiom for mids, tweeters and woofer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2577 on: 7 Aug 2017, 05:10 pm »
James someone asked me what drivers you were using in all of your speakers, so it is Axiom for mids, tweeters and woofer

Axiom makes the drivers for us but they are our own drivers, crossovers and cabinets.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2578 on: 7 Aug 2017, 05:27 pm »
SUBJECT:  Bryston Middle T Active … Dario in Italy

August 2017

Hi James,

I have finally had the opportunity to test for a few weeks the Bryston Active Middle T loudspeakers system.

GEAR:

•   Bryston 4B3 cubed power amp for low + another Bryston 4B3 Cubed for midrange + Bryston  2.5B3 Cubed  for the high frequencies.

•   BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover

•   Bryston Middle T Active Speakers

It hasn't been an easy task because for the first time in my life (I have owned a lot of expensive gear and auditioned much more at shows and at friend's homes) with this Bryston setup I kept hearing to music itself and not to the electronics involved in sound reproduction.

This to say the quality is so high in terms of timbre, with amazing dynamics and huge but believable soundstage the music really seems played as I remembered at live concerts.
All the instruments seem in the right place, perfectly located in the stage with razor shape definition.

I mainly listen to Classical music, Blues and Jazz with a strong preference to medium/small acoustic ensembles, so a performance so natural and realistic is really a must!

James, I really think going active is the future if a great leap forward in music reproduction is the final goal.

Dario Camuzzini
Italy

« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2017, 08:00 pm by James Tanner »

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2579 on: 10 Aug 2017, 06:53 am »
hi james

those Target stands look awesome with the Mini T's  - shown on the previous page.
Are they the MR60's?

cheers, TJ