FRANK, why is there 170 volts AC on my Super Pas III's chassis?

Russellc

Where should I begin to look for this problem?  I have two of these things, the other doesnt do this.  I have looked it over from stem to stern and cant find anything obvious.  Anyone have some suggestions who is familiar with this pre amp? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Russellc

avahifi

There should not be any AC on the chassis of your Super Pas Three, although a tiny amount of current can pass through the AC snap suppression capacitor mounted on the power switch.  Either you are getting the measurements wrong, or there is something basically wrong with the unit. The only part that could put out more than line voltage (120V AC) would be the high voltage secondary winding of the power transformer (660V AC between the taps).  If half of that is shorted to ground a nasty voltage could show up on the chassis, but generally at very low current or the internal fuse would blow.

If in doubt, please ship the unit back to us at once for inspection and repair.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Russellc

I think I will do that.  Is it possible that the transformer is messed up?  I could send a replacement if necessary.

Thanks,

Russellc

avahifi

It probably would be a good idea to send along a replacement power transformer if you have known working spare.  Note that new ones are available from Triode Electronics for about $40.00 including shipping.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Russellc

Is there a way I can test the transformer?

Russellc