Minnesota Audio Society Meeting

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
Minnesota Audio Society Meeting
« on: 15 May 2017, 05:08 pm »
Tomorrow, May 16, 2017, Audio by Van Alstine will be at the Minnesota Audio Society Meeting.  For those of you here that are local, please come and see us.  Here is the announcement from the MN Audio Society:

For our final meeting of the season, we are very fortunate to host Frank Van Alstine of Audio by Van Alstine (AVA) a local and long-standing audio manufacturer who is (or perhaps should be) familiar to us all, will be showing two brand new AVA offerings:

First, AVA’s new DAC MK Five, which supports all bit rates up to PCM 192 and DSD 128 interchangeably, with no transition noise or drama between tracks of any bit rate or type. Standard inputs are two coax digital inputs, two optical digital inputs, and USB digital inputs.

Second, AVA will present their new DVA 4/2 amplifier, producing 350 Watts per Channel (WPC) in stereo or 125WPC in discrete four channel mode. Very useful in a very clean stereo system or in a surround sound system, and is based on AVA’s Synergy solid state circuits with significant enhancements.

Lastly, Frank will bring an inexpensive UTurn Orbit turntable with Longhorn Grado cartridge and optional Grado 8MZ stylus, plus AVA’s Vision phono preamplifier. Combined with the ASM’s CD capabilities, members are encouraged to bring LPs or CDs for playback.

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Mary

G E

Re: Minnesota Audio Society Meeting
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2017, 11:20 pm »
Sounds like fun!

Too bad I live 1200 miles away.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2017, 04:17 am »
I live far away but would like to hear more of Frank's thoughts on the Orbit if AVA is recommending it.

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2017, 08:12 pm »
I have been using the UTurn Orbit for a couple of months now and am very happy with it.

It is very quiet, easy to use, does not Hum with a Grado cartridge, tracks very well, and is very well made with a very clear and smooth and round acrylic platter.  It is so smooth and round that it is very difficult to tell if it is turning at all when run with platter mat and record off.

And it is really inexpenisve, under $400 with the cue control, thick acrylic platter, and wood base.

Highly recommended.  I am using our Longhorn Grado with the 8MZ style and am impressed.

Frank