Computer Speakers

Don_S

Computer Speakers
« on: 22 Feb 2017, 12:34 am »
Note this is in the C&C Circle. Please keep that in mind. I am looking for an affordable but good sounding pair of powered speakers to use with my computer and the TV/monitor I use it with.  I don't use the speakers extensively, only to watch the news at noon or to listen to YouTube links someone has posted.  Sometimes I use it to listen to Spotify but only to audition music suggestions I see posted. I think I am limited to 3" woofers due to wanting to place them under my elevated TV/monitor.

I returned Audioengine A2+ speakers. They never opened up and were muddy and muffled. I am now looking at Mackie CR3s and Kanto YU2s.  I had ordered a pair of Kantos but Walmart is run by a bunch of idiots and never delivered.  They first told me they were back ordered and months later they now tell me my order was not processed correctly due to "system error". What they mean is they sold out and now won't honor the sale price.

If you are familiar with these products please respond.  I am also open to other suggestions especially if they are not boxes.

Thanks,

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Computer Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:02 am »
See if you can find some old Cambridge Soundworks speakers nearby (PCWorks was one of their 2.1 setups, but there are several options). It's not mindblowing, but perhaps the best I've heard for tiny cube speakers that easily fit under a monitor. You can also find them typically for well under $50  :thumb:
Slightly bigger, there's the Model Twelve (which is what I "upgraded" to after many years with the PCWorks)

Phil A

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:34 am »
I returned Audioengine A2+ speakers. They never opened up and were muddy and muffled.

I was similarly disappointed with the Audioengine A2s.

Not sure what your $-$$$ range is for C&C, but a used pair of B&W MM1s might fit the bill (there is one pair on eBay now).  Accessories4less have refurbished KEF Egg speakers for $400.

Lastly, given your space constraints, it might be worth considering some of the Bluetooth / wireless options available. This category has seen so much attention in recent years that product offerings and discounts are everywhere. I find the Cambridge audio (not soundworks!) Minx Go V2 portable speaker ($120 Accessories4less) can sound quite respectable for what it is. Sonos remain very popular as well, possibly a pair of Play1 speakers set up in stereo?

Will2

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:36 am »
Might this fit the bill? https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica/

srb

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:42 am »
What is the maximum height requirement?  Would you entertain placing the speakers on their sides?

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:56 am »
What is the maximum height requirement?  Would you entertain placing the speakers on their sides?

9" would just touch the bottom of the monitor.  I had considered laying speakers on their sides but my desk (actually a dining table) is oval shaped and there aren't any corners. That has kept me from going to 4" drivers.

I will look at the links posted above.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:34 am »
I think this Crutchfield link sums up things nicely. B&W, PSB, and AudioEngine fit your size restriction.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_12800/Computer-Speakers.html?tp=252&pg=1

John Blue has a couple of models too but they might be too expensive. http://www.johnblue-audio.com/

You might be able to find a used pair of Polk or Definitive Technology desktop speakers, though they have been discontinued. I guess the market for $399/pair micro driver speakers is not what the manufacturers hoped it would be.

Aktimate has a powered micro speaker but I think that is $500

You can also look at the Klispch Pro Media Speakers which have small desktop speakers plus a subwoofer.

You want a pair of Kantos YU2? The B&H Photo web site indicate they they are in stock and says they will ship them tomorrow.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:41 am »
If you could wait a month (or possibly 2?) you could get in on the Peachtree Audio Indiegogo campaign for the M24 powered speaker.  You would get a lot more speaker for the investment of $219.  It does have a 4" driver and stands 8.8" tall.

Peachtree Audio has a good track record with Era speakers and Nova amplifiers, is a small but stable company and has been through a funding project previously with the Deepblue speaker.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m24-powered-speakers-from-peachtree-audio-bluetooth-usb#/

I've not heard the Kanto YU2, but do own the older Kanto iPair 5 (5" woofer / 1" tweeter) and have been satisfied with the quality.

But I haven't yet heard any 3" speakers that I really like yet, except perhaps for the Genelecs, but they're ~ $600/pr.

Steve

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:54 am »
I like Steve's choice better but Aperion Audio might possibly be an option too if they have not been discontinued.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-172/allaire-bluetooth

There are also a bunch of studio monitors (KRKs come to mind) that would fit size and price wise but sound wise I am told they are a different animal.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:18 am »
John Blue has a couple of models too but they might be too expensive. http://www.johnblue-audio.com/

... I've got a set of the JB3's on sale in the classifieds... but those require a separate amp.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2017, 10:39 am »
I like my M-Audio AV40's. They have a newer version out now (AV42). Powered, multiple input options (analog). Not terribly expensive, and sound decent in either nearfield or farfield applications. There is a cheaper AV32 variant* that might meet your size limits, although I think if you can squeeze the 42's in ... even on their side if necessary ... you will like them better. See if you can find some at a Music Store instead of a HiFi store.

The AV40's replaced a set of Klipsch ProMedias ("sub" amp module died, a known and common issue) and were significantly better Sound Quality (SQ) -wise. Similarly, the Klipsch's replaced a set of Cambridge Audio 2.1 computer speakers and were a step up from them at the time.

* Dimensions: HxWxD
AV32: 7.5" x 5.1" x 6.1" (19 cm x 13 cm x 15.6 cm)
AV42: 8.4" x 5.7" x 7.4 (21.3 cm x 14.6 cm x 18.8 cm)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm »
Some others to consider (within C&C pricing and your 9 inch limit):

Monitor Audio WS100 ($400/pair, tiny cubes that can't go loud, digital/wireless, remote, can be tilted back, rather dark sounding)
PSB Alpha PS1 ($300/pair, glossy black finish, Paul Barton reportedly uses them at his desk, AudioStream recommended)
Serene Audio Talisman Speakers ($445/pair, single driver, bamboo/leather cabinet, Canadian made, a class act at this size/price)

Another option would be a really nice monophonic radio like the $140 Grace Digital Wi-Fi Music Player.  I have a similar (now discontinued) Logitech UE smart radio and it offers a nice "very non-offensive" background sound.

benguin

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:42 pm »
We've got a set of the B&W MM1s at our kitchen desk paired with an all-in-one pc.  We've been very pleased with them- they were available as a selection for work anniversary gift, so the price was right.  Reviews seemed good and the form factor is a big plus.  Clarity is very good and they can produce some volume (within expected limits).

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2017, 05:14 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  And thanks for getting me to think about two choices that should have been obvious to me but weren't.  :duh: I own PSB Imagine Minis and KEF LS50s. I am familiar and comfortable with those brands but never thought about the companies also making more compact speakers for computers. I need to explore both the PSB Alpha PS1 and the KEF EGG.

The EGGs are tall but the slim form-factor and small footprint would allow them to go beside my monitor. The Alpha PS1's lower price would allow the addition of a sub. I think I am leaning that way.

brooklyn

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:18 am »
An old friend who got me started in audio some 40 years ago bought the PreSonus
Elis E4.5 powered studio monitors for his desktop and loves them. Link below..

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_861ERISE4/PreSonus-Eris-E4-5.html?tp=63655

Don_S

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:05 pm »
An old friend who got me started in audio some 40 years ago bought the PreSonus
Elis E4.5 powered studio monitors for his desktop and loves them. Link below..

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_861ERISE4/PreSonus-Eris-E4-5.html?tp=63655

brooklyn,   I had read good comments about the PreSonus and looked at them. They are too tall and too wide. I did not see any smaller models.

smata67

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:54 pm »

srb

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:11 pm »
The OP is looking for powered speakers

I am looking for an affordable but good sounding pair of powered speakers to use with my computer and the TV/monitor I use it with.

kbuzz3

« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2017, 04:39 pm »
See if you can find some old Cambridge Soundworks speakers nearby (PCWorks was one of their 2.1 setups, but there are several options). It's not mindblowing, but perhaps the best I've heard for tiny cube speakers that easily fit under a monitor. You can also find them typically for well under $50  :thumb:
Slightly bigger, there's the Model Twelve (which is what I "upgraded" to after many years with the PCWorks)

This is true...wish I did not give mine away