Okay, here's one from the peanut gallery...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 2 Mar 2003, 10:14 am »
Any chance of an OmegaStar with a 5.1 channel input?  I know everyone and their dog has an idea for a product, but this would be fantastic.  I personally think one can get onboard (MC-wise) or get run over.  Multichannel can sound amazing, but what the format sorely lacks is high end multichannel hardware.  Stuff capable of wringing out the performance inherent to these hi rez recordings.

What do you say?  Any chance of this?

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2003, 04:02 pm »
Hi:

We are looking into a 5.1 solution, but there is nothing coming out in the near future.  We do offer the OmegaStar 240 in a three channel version and have sold several of them along with its two channel brother for MC systems.

Our goal, naturally, would be to offer a MC system in one chassis.  The issues we are dealing with are mostly physical in nature.  For example, having five channels requires more output devices and the associated heatsinks.  Also needed is more input and output jacks and a much heavier power supply.

I have talked with the engineer about a prototype and he thinks it's possible to make a cost effective solution.  It would be interesting to see how much interest there is in the marketplace.

Thanks for your input!

Larry Jenkins

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2003, 08:45 pm »
Sorry, I just read my post again and I wasn't clear.  I more referring to an OmegaStar 5.1 channel preamp.  I don't have any problem piling amps up! :wink:

I'm sold on multichannel music, but there aren't a lot of "hi end" options for prepros; most units with the appropriate inputs are geared towards HT, not maximizing sound.  An OmegaStar preamp with 5.1 channel inputs would offer great sound and, if prices are in line w/other AVA products, very affordable.  I'm talking no built in DACs, no decoding DTS or DD, just a straight-up music preamp.

Thanks for the consideration.

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2003, 02:33 pm »
Hi:

This is an interesting idea.  Am I correct in understanding that you want a 5.1 preamp that only has the audio preamp components?  What in essence would be a six channel preamp?

Larry Jenkins

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2003, 02:56 pm »
I think that is what he was asking for.  Not to advertise other manufacturers in your forum, but I know McCormack has one, R.E. Designs has one, Bent Audio more or less has one.  I would be great to see more manufacturers like AVA making such a preamp.  

FWIW, I use a Klipsch dolby digital decoder for HT and it works surprisingly well.  Together with a good MC analog preamp I think you have the makings of a great pre/pro setup that is less prone to obsolescence.  My decoder was <$200.  I can mod it to my liking or chuck it into the waste bin for a newer one when it becomes obsolete but a MC analog preamp will never become obsolete.  Seems like a great way for hi-end manufacturers to get more into the MC scene without getting wrapped up in a moving target.  

Just my $.02

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2003, 04:10 pm »
Hi:

Thanks for the info.  I'll run the idea by Frank and the head engineer.  It's always great to hear what people are looking for!!!

Larry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:38 pm »
Cool!  I was thinking it would still have some regular stereo inputs but also 5.1 channel analog inputs, hopefully two sets.  Leaving out a DAC would of course keep costs in line.  A music preamp wouldn't need DD or DTS anyway.

That would be a near-dream preamp.  It would be the dream preamp if you'd give it remote control! 8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2003, 09:41 pm »
Something with volume pots on each channel to do level matching for all 5 or 6 speakers, and a high quality crossover built in (routing all bass signals to 1 or 2 subs), would be ideal.  That way all the decoding could be done with the player, and you have some bass management capabilities in the pre in case your player doesn't do bass management.

Then, have a "master" volume control, that turns up and down the volume of all the speakers (and the sub) at once.  That would be cool.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2003, 12:22 am »
Pretty much my thinking.  I'm a little bit leery of the X-over; I would definately want a bypass in case you didn't want it in the signal path.

Two 5.1 inputs would be nice, in case one wanted to use separate players for SACD & DVD-A.  I'm happy with a universal, but then again opinions vary.  Two inputs would give a little room to expand the system.

Naturally, I'd still need a few regular stereo inputs for CD, Aux & a REC loop.

You could save some room on the face plate by omitting tone controls. :nono:

Jack_Geo

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2003, 12:20 am »
Larry...

Just wondering what came out of the discussion you may have had with Frank and the head engineer regarding a multi-channel pre-amp...

Thanks in advance!

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2003, 02:50 am »
One thing is obvious...there is a market for such a product.  Such a flood of responses for such a small group.

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2003, 06:42 pm »
Hi:

Frank and I have discussed the possibility of a multi channel preamp, but there is nothing on the drawing board at this time.  The discussions we have had, however, have been around what line of preamps would work best, what changes need to be made to the existing circuits, board layouts, chassis, etc.  I too would like to see the MC system, but it's pretty safe to say we won't see this in the near future.

Thanks!

Larry Jenkins