Tubs burn in

Mike Long

Tubs burn in
« on: 5 Aug 2016, 11:19 pm »
I have a Big 7 and recently bought a pair of Psvane 101d replicas. As far as burn in goes does just leaving the DAC on count for anything or does it have to be processing a signal to do any good?

Mike

sfox7076

Re: Tubs burn in
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2016, 12:44 pm »
Depends on your theory of burn in.  For tubes, if you believe in burn in, you will want a signal.  I do t believe in burn in. Tubes do need to warm up, but that is a different issue.

jea48

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2016, 03:23 pm »
I have a Big 7 and recently bought a pair of Psvane 101d replicas. As far as burn in goes does just leaving the DAC on count for anything or does it have to be processing a signal to do any good?

Mike
It must be processing a signal, as you call it, connected to a load. Load does not need to be powered up at the time.

Here is a thread you might find of interest.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129512.60

Mike Long

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2016, 12:44 am »
Thanks for the responses guys. .What I expected.

Mike

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2016, 10:09 am »
Depends on your theory of burn in.  For tubes, if you believe in burn in, you will want a signal.  I do t believe in burn in. Tubes do need to warm up, but that is a different issue.
Shawn,

Dont new tubes need to burn off some residue initially? Isn't that why the EML and Kron tubes say to play them only 3-4 hours a day for the first week till they "settle". The vapor coating, etc?

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2016, 12:56 pm »
They may.  I think it is BS.  If you are burning it off, where is it going?  The getter?  It probably should have come off in the factory during the vacuum process or the other various heating processes used to reach the vacuum needed.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4WVRKkmww  If they don't, the burning off is largely useless in a vacuum unless what is burning off is an element absorbed by the getter.  If it there are things like that, the tubes are heated and tested at the factory (at least for any new tube I would buy), so I am not sure what we are burning off once they reach us.  I know, I am once again unconventional, but I think it BS.  If you read some of the old tube testing done on old tubes, you would think even less of this whole burn in process.  I think there is time needed to warm the tube up, but that is all.  If there is some impurity in the coating on the tube that needs to be burned off, well, I don't want that tube.  If it is thoriated tungsten and it is a used tube/needs regeneration, I understand "burn off" more, but that is a function of electron's being heated to the surface.  That does not happen with coated oxide filaments or indirectly heated tubes... 

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2016, 03:15 pm »
I have no opinion on the burn in question but I never understand why people don't just use them and listen to music if they think they need to burn in. The worst case scenario is that it doesn't sound great initially but at least you are hearing music.

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2016, 09:13 am »
Shawn made some good points. I Wonder why tube manufacturers suggest going slowly the first week or so, limiting playback hours initially?

sfox7076

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2016, 01:22 am »
I agree with Dave on listening.

I think that they say that in order to distance themselves from initial comparisons.  They want a fair shake and they also don't want an immediate comparison.