Cats vs. Speakers

CSI

Re: Cats vs. Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 2 Apr 2016, 08:48 pm »
That's why I don't have cats and dogs and only (Un-invited) mice in my house...
Period !

Guy 13
By the way, I don't like cats and I love (Small) dogs.
Personally, I love cats and don't have much use for dogs. Some people (like me) love Scotch and hate Bourbon. But I have good friends (including my wife) who are just the opposite. So what? What is needed is more tolerance (including for my neighbor who keeps trying to domesticate a coyote).
Anyway, welcome back from Planet Vietnam, Guy. Or is it welcome back from Montreal?

jpm

« Reply #21 on: 2 Apr 2016, 09:32 pm »
"Cats & Speakers" are a common concern, however as most here have attested a little training goes a long way.

I second the recommendation for regular "pawdicures". Even if the cat isn't used to it, with the aid of a helper and a towel wrapped around the furry one this can be accomplished with relative ease after a bit of practice. There are obvious added benefits to your carpet, drapes etc.!

For a brief while, our feline overlords found the woofer covers on my Linn Ninka's attractive - the metal grill seemed to offer a texture they liked, until squirted :)  I was most concerned about the exposed woofer on the Gallo Reference 3's, but that was completely ignored. Only my JBL Synthesis sub-woofer's grille fabric has suffered from unwanted attention.

Filling speaker stands with sand and using blu-tack is the best protection from knocks I can think of for stand mounts and the presence of a cat dusting the top of any speaker is highly preferable to someone thoughtlessly using a speaker as a coaster for their cocktail.

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 2 Apr 2016, 10:24 pm »
In 8 short weeks my new kittens are fully audio trained now.  They are locked in the room with my gear overnight.

It only took 1-4 sprays to cure them of climbing my Maggie's.  A few pulls in the cloth but nothing serious and my 1.6's are old and bought used anyway. 

I do play the tunes at lower volumes around them. 

jpm

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2016, 01:51 am »
I do play the tunes at lower volumes around them.

When the volume goes up, I can count on one of my border collies to come, hang out and enjoy the music. I'm thinking through a rationale that justifies the associated cost for both of us as opposed to just me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2016, 04:34 pm »
That's why I don't have cats and dogs and only (Un-invited) mice in my house...
Period !

Guy 13
By the way, I don't like cats and I love (Small) dogs.
How you dont lile cats? All this time I though you loved cats. :o

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2016, 07:07 pm »
How you dont lile cats? All this time I though you loved cats. :o

Hi FullRangeMan,
I like small kitty, I like cats of others, cats that I don't own and don't take care of,
however, I would not (Ever) own a cat because they are too independant.

Guy 13

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2016, 07:20 pm »
Hi, I started this topic. I did take in this big 2 year old tom cat. I love the monster. To try and get a hold off the speaker grill paranoia I went this far. Taking a trip to U-Haul I bought 2 big cardboard moving boxes which come flat and measured out enough cardboard to make speaker grill protectors. I shaped them like a ( [ ) with a little cardboard to stick underneath the cabinet and a little bent over the top and a piece of kite twine going around the speaker that can come off easily. I made a big one for the sub. You can probably figure out  I'm not married. The spray I bought seems to not do much as I used it once so far on my old Grandmas chair.
    There is a scratch pad that looks like a flat piece of cardboard with a zillion holes that the cat loves, my freinds cats love it too. It comes with a little bag of cat-nip.
   I love animals and I love stereo stuff. I made my own monitors 20 years ago and they still work great and don't have a scratch on them. An old friend who had MS redid the fabric over the grills. I've lost track of him and don't know if he is still around. He did a great job and thats why I'm as finicky with my speakers, that darn cat.....Mark Korda

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2016, 07:43 pm »

Hi, I started this topic. I did take in this big 2 year old tom cat. I love the monster. To try and get a hold off the speaker grill paranoia I went this far. Taking a trip to U-Haul I bought 2 big cardboard moving boxes which come flat and measured out enough cardboard to make speaker grill protectors. I shaped them like a ( [ ) with a little cardboard to stick underneath the cabinet and a little bent over the top and a piece of kite twine going around the speaker that can come off easily. I made a big one for the sub. You can probably figure out  I'm not married. The spray I bought seems to not do much as I used it once so far on my old Grandmas chair.
    There is a scratch pad that looks like a flat piece of cardboard with a zillion holes that the cat loves, my freinds cats love it too. It comes with a little bag of cat-nip.
   I love animals and I love stereo stuff. I made my own monitors 20 years ago and they still work great and don't have a scratch on them. An old friend who had MS redid the fabric over the grills. I've lost track of him and don't know if he is still around. He did a great job and thats why I'm as finicky with my speakers, that darn cat.....Mark Korda

Hi Mark,
when you say you love the monster,
do you mean this type of monster ?

Not me and not my cat !

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2016, 08:03 pm »
The Copycat Art Scratcher lets cats ccratch the '' Mona Lisa ''
(Got that from Facebook)

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2016, 08:08 pm »
Guy,   Good Lord!.....That cat could slap around a Klipsch Cornerhorn like a toy matchbox. I'd put 3 steel cables with round bolts and turnbuckles on everything hifi you got. I'd also be kissin the corner butchers ass...Mark K.

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 3 Apr 2016, 08:37 pm »
Borrowed from the latest issue of Tone Audio

richter250

« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:42 pm »
My wonderful cat loves my Maggies.  He would climb up them to sit on top.  Awesome.  I cured him of this lunacy with this product.  I purchased some refills but have never had to use them.  He was so terrorized by the first few sprays that he will go nowhere near the now empty and powerless cans.  I replaced the socks on my Maggies and there is peace once again.

PetSafe Ssscat Cat Spray Control System
by PetSafe
Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000RIA95G

brooklyn

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2016, 09:00 pm »
I’ve had multiple cats and Maggies over a 40 year period.. I must have been very lucky cause I never had
any problems with the little fur balls climbing the speakers.. Didn’t even need to use the water bottle.

JakeJ

« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2016, 01:23 am »
Borrowed from the latest issue of Tone Audio

That's funny right there.  I also am lucky as my cat has no interest in my speaker grills.  I did build a floor to ceiling cat tree when I first brought her home, 10 years ago.  I have speakers in several rooms and none have ever been touched. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:55 pm »
It would seem that as mentioned, my twin kittens (growing rapidly of course) have been active with my Maggie's in my absence. 

Evidence of climbing the edges. 

Ah well, I love both cats and speakers and so far it is just cosmetic. 

I will wait for them to grow enough that they don't need to be kep locked in the basement (my dedicated listening area), and replace he socks.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2016, 04:52 pm »
Hi, I solved the cat/speaker problem! It cost 40.00 on Ebay. The Realistic Minimus 7. Their built like little Japanese tanks and they sound fantastic. The cat can't damage them and with a good sub woofer I'm rediscovering my stereo.I still keep the sub woofer covered until use.
    Whats even cooler is that I found 3 seperate mod articles on the Minimus 7's in Speaker Builder mags. All 3 guys that did the mods joined forces for best crossover. This could be another project as the mods frequency graph was a strait line from 85 hertz to 18k with nary a dip.
    Here is my official review.....The Radio Shack Realistic Minimus 7 played alright with Rush's Red Barchetta but swept the audience off their feet with John Denver's Grandmas Featherbed!
    My first stereo was a quadraphonic 8 track from the Shack. With lots of better stuff thru the years the Shack comes back to save my hi-fi pursuits with the little Minimus 7.........Mark Korda