BDA-3 DAC

Renato6

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #840 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:46 pm »
Anyone else having a problem with the BDA-3 not turning on from front button when it has not been used for a few days? I have to unplug from back and plug again for it to start. Will also not allow me to update firmware.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #841 on: 15 Aug 2017, 09:04 pm »
Anyone else having a problem with the BDA-3 not turning on from front button when it has not been used for a few days? I have to unplug from back and plug again for it to start. Will also not allow me to update firmware.

Hi

Email Mike on this please - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Renato6

« Reply #842 on: 15 Aug 2017, 09:17 pm »
Hi

Email Mike on this please - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Thanks James. I have but have not heard back. I mentioned that I was passing by Bryston next week and was wondering if I can drop it off to be reloaded and checked. I have had an issue updating the firmware but I worked around it the past year.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #843 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:07 am »
Thanks James. I have but have not heard back. I mentioned that I was passing by Bryston next week and was wondering if I can drop it off to be reloaded and checked. I have had an issue updating the firmware but I worked around it the past year.

Sure no problem at all.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #844 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:07 am »

Renato6

« Reply #845 on: 16 Aug 2017, 02:43 am »
Sure no problem at all.

james

Thank you. I will drop it off next Monday.

Xinon

« Reply #846 on: 16 Aug 2017, 04:39 am »
Can I get the latest firmware on email?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #847 on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:23 am »
Can I get the latest firmware on email?

Email Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #848 on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:35 am »

I had the same problem. To what input is your BDA set when you turn it on? Numerous BDA-1, -2 and -3 machines have been plagued by this problem, I have read about it and did extensive tests on my machine but was never able to prove anything because the problem would not always occur under the same conditions.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #849 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm »
^ My BDA-1 has no such power on/off problem after 5 years and counting....

Not sure what's going on, but will be interested to find out in case it should happen.... :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #850 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm »
Hi Folks

I have seen this turn-on issue before in early versions of the software on the BDA3 but I have not seen this in a long time.

I’m not aware of either the BDA1 or 2 having this problem, they are completely different platforms.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2017, 01:28 pm by James Tanner »

Xinon

« Reply #851 on: 16 Aug 2017, 03:14 pm »
Hi Folks

I have seen this turn-on issue before in early versions of the software on the BDA3 but I have not seen this in a long time.

I’m not aware of either the BDA1 or 2 having this problem, they are completely different platforms.

james

All units sold in Norway needed firmware upgrades because of this problem, they work fine after upgrade.

stanb

« Reply #852 on: 16 Aug 2017, 04:53 pm »
Very early BDA3 units may need a software upgrade, in addition the more recent software eliminates sound artifacts when switching between DSD and PCM formats.   The latest production software version should read 2016.05a  (it can be displayed using a web GUI).   However, the old units need to run a special firmware to update the PLD chip in addition to the main control software.  That special PLD firmware is contained in file BDA3_2016_11p.bin which is otherwise equivalent to the current production software 2016.05a.   The bin file is available from Bryston.  Specifically for BDA3 software updates, please email sbleszynski@bryston.com and  put "BDA3 'serial number' firmware" in the subject line.   
Stan

Renato6

« Reply #853 on: 16 Aug 2017, 07:17 pm »
I had the same problem. To what input is your BDA set when you turn it on? Numerous BDA-1, -2 and -3 machines have been plagued by this problem, I have read about it and did extensive tests on my machine but was never able to prove anything because the problem would not always occur under the same conditions.

I usually have it on USB1. I think I am number 136 so I think it is a fairly early model.

Renato6

« Reply #854 on: 16 Aug 2017, 07:49 pm »
Very early BDA3 units may need a software upgrade, in addition the more recent software eliminates sound artifacts when switching between DSD and PCM formats.   The latest production software version should read 2016.05a  (it can be displayed using a web GUI).   However, the old units need to run a special firmware to update the PLD chip in addition to the main control software.  That special PLD firmware is contained in file BDA3_2016_11p.bin which is otherwise equivalent to the current production software 2016.05a.   The bin file is available from Bryston.  Specifically for BDA3 software updates, please email sbleszynski@bryston.com and  put "BDA3 'serial number' firmware" in the subject line.   
Stan

Hi Stan
Just sent you an email. I don't mind trying to reinstall before bringing it in.

Marius

« Reply #855 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:57 pm »
HI James,

please have a look, could you post your advice to these questions?

Thanks,
Marius

HI James,

Is there any chance you will produce a BDA3+ which will have the lost SPDIF and Toslink back? Adding the 4 HDMI ports is wonderful , but losing the important SPDIF/Toslink is rather a crucial letdown to be honest.

We might be able to replace the Toslink the HDMI connection but as you yourself have always stated, the HDMI is possibly prone to serious jitter, thus the SPDIF inputs were always preferred. A BDA3 with these inputs reinstated would be a no-brainer.

Other question about HDMI jitter: Oppo state they have solved this by means of a dedicated clock/circuit http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/ 

Is the BDA3 also immunized for this HDMI jitter in a comparable, maybe even better way?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #856 on: 18 Aug 2017, 03:23 pm »
Hi Marius,

Fron Engineering:

“We also use a high-stability, high precision HDMI clock and a special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit. “

That statement has very little meaning.

HDMI inherently has pretty high jitter, we reduce it but it is still higher than SPDIF or USB inputs.

Marius

« Reply #857 on: 18 Aug 2017, 07:09 pm »
Thanks James,
honest and straightforward, that's why i love Bryston  :thumb:

Otoh, the statement from engineering is just about the same as Oppo's ... A dedicated HDMI clock/circuit is used. I gather these to be just as up to their task as can be. Is there any chance engineering could elaborate on that dedicated circuit a bit more? Would it be comparable to the synchronous/asynchronous implementation of USB connections?

Your remark about the HDMI jitter being inherently higher than SPDIF and usb was the reason I was rather disappointed about losing these extra inputs on the BDA3 in the first place, and kept me from upgrading my BDA1 up to now in the second. Hence my other question if Bryston would be considering a BDA3+ with these lost inputs reinstated? Any such considerations being made James?

Also, would i be right in ordering digital connections from a jitter perspective like so: HDMI, optical, Spdif, USB? left most to right least? Or would Optical and HDMI be rather comparable?

Thanks again,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Fron Engineering:

“We also use a high-stability, high precision HDMI clock and a special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit. “

That statement has very little meaning.

HDMI inherently has pretty high jitter, we reduce it but it is still higher than SPDIF or USB inputs.

BSC

« Reply #858 on: 18 Aug 2017, 09:06 pm »
Thanks James,
honest and straightforward, that's why i love Bryston  :thumb:

Otoh, the statement from engineering is just about the same as Oppo's ... A dedicated HDMI clock/circuit is used. I gather these to be just as up to their task as can be. Is there any chance engineering could elaborate on that dedicated circuit a bit more? Would it be comparable to the synchronous/asynchronous implementation of USB connections?

Your remark about the HDMI jitter being inherently higher than SPDIF and usb was the reason I was rather disappointed about losing these extra inputs on the BDA3 in the first place, and kept me from upgrading my BDA1 up to now in the second. Hence my other question if Bryston would be considering a BDA3+ with these lost inputs reinstated? Any such considerations being made James?

Also, would i be right in ordering digital connections from a jitter perspective like so: HDMI, optical, Spdif, USB? left most to right least? Or would Optical and HDMI be rather comparable?

Thanks again,
Marius

I have been interested in the 205 for the same reason to see if it would be better than the 105-in this hobby you always look for better and it's easy to be seduced by the notion of better.

However as I recall from memory possibly the area that struck me as most improved on the BDA-3 was actually SACD through HDMI. However even if that is not 100% correct there is no aspect of swapping inputs (and I do a fair bit) that would indicate the existing jitter is in any way noticeable. Though that's not to say you wouldn't hear a difference between the 105 and the 205. I still await the first person to have tried the combo.

WillyP

« Reply #859 on: 21 Aug 2017, 08:39 am »
Hi James,

I have few questions for you if I may.

1 Is the built-in DAC of the SP3 good enough voor the BDP-3 or is the BDA-3 a (much) better choice?

2 Is it okay to place a BDP-3 on the BDA-3 or can I expect heath problems?

Thanks,

Willy