Has anyone tried the van alstine ultra valve amp with a Zu speaker

rollingstone

I am trying to figure which Zu speaker would best match this amp. I LIsten to 80% classical music,15% chicago style blue, 5% stones and similar rock and roll.

avahifi

I need to know the impedance of your possible speakers (in ohms - usually somewhere between 3 and 10 ohms) and the sensitivity of the speakers measured in dB (usually somewhere between 80 dB and 100 dB) in order to make a good recommendation for you.

Our highly regarded Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifier is rated at 35 Watts per channel and has output terminals for 4, 8, and 16 ohms.  It works best with reasonably efficient speakers, 88 dB and up.  If your speakers are in this range the Ultravalve is a wonderful choice as long as you understand that once in a while you will need to learn about tube replacement (not a difficult task).

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

trackball02

Rollingstone, My Ultravalve works really well with Zu Superflys MK1-B using the 16 ohm outputs. I also demo the Omen standards with the Ultravalve with equally good results. This amp has plenty of power in reserve, sounds fantastic and is a great buy. I really do not think you will have any problems running any of the Zu speakers with this amp.

shadowlight

To the OP take a look at Zu Speaker Comparision PDF on Zu's site.  Will give you indication of impedance and efficiency.  They have speakers that range between 8, 12 and 16, with the top of the line Domiance listed as 6ohms.

avahifi

All of the speaker models you are interested in are VERY efficient.  Any of these models can be driven very very well with our Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifier.

I am certain you will be very pleased with an Ultravalve driving your Zu speaker choice.

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

Curious interested observer wants to know, at least some of that line is 12 ohm rated impedance; which tap would you hook up to, 8 or 16?

shadowlight

Curious interested observer wants to know, at least some of that line is 12 ohm rated impedance; which tap would you hook up to, 8 or 16?

I was always underside the impression that you use the next lowest number.  For 12 I think the correct tab is 8 but will let Frank confirm for sure.

rlee8394

When the proper impedance is connected to the proper transformer tap, the load will reflect the proper to the power tubes, in the case of these output trannies, 4.3K. Connecting a lower impedance load to a higher tap will reflect lower than 4.3K Ohms, and connecting a higher impedance load to a lower tap will reflect higher than 4.3K Ohms.

So connecting a 12 Ohm speaker to the 16 Ohm tap would yield a bit more power but a bit more distortion as well. Connecting a 12 Ohm speaker to the 8 Ohm tap will provide a bit less power, but lower distortion.

Now an output transformer's winding ratio is not linear. So when you see a schematic with 4, 8, and 16 Ohms, and the 8 Ohm tap is at 50% (the center tap), that's wrong. The center tap is actually 4 Ohms. The 8 Ohm tap is actually at 70.7% of the winding. This is a result of taking the square root of 8/16, which is 0.707. For 4 Ohms it would be sqrt of 4/16 (.25) which is 0.5. Therefore in theory the proper tap for a 12 Ohm speaker would be sqrt(12/16) which is 86.6% of the secondary. So that puts it about 16% above the 8 Ohm tap and about 13.6% below the 16 Ohm tap. Not exactly between the two taps, but fairly close. Usually when this close the recommendation is "Try both and choose what sounds best."

I would start with the 16 Ohm tap for a couple reasons. First, it uses the entire secondary of the transformer, and second, the feedback loop is usually taken from the 16 Ohm tap so any speaker interaction occurs there and the feedback is applied from the speaker connection and not at a lower tap. Just my $0.02 worth.

Hope this helps,
Ron

trebejo

Ron, thanks for that thorough explanation! This is a "classic" question and somehow the answer is always given as "try it and you decide" (as seen above  ;) ), but with that info people (i.e. moi) have a much clearer idea of what's going on.

dB Cooper

Since the impedance of most speakers varies significantly by frequency, I guess there is an element of compromise in whatever you do.

rlee8394

Since the impedance of most speakers varies significantly by frequency, I guess there is an element of compromise in whatever you do.

Very true. I know that some manufactures configure for just a single output Z. VTL and Manley used to set there output Z at 5 Ohms. There were multiple taps that did allow reconfiguration, but only one value could be used at a time.

Ron