LGK, Syngery horn?

Folsom

LGK, Syngery horn?
« on: 18 Dec 2014, 08:10 pm »
Hey everyone, I happened to see someone else's design that was insanely cheap for such a thing.

But why not use an extremely talented driver such as the LGK, and then use some mids like the M130 since they're not terrible expensive? And passive... (I'm with Danny, no DSP)

I'd like to think some good care would get to fairly deep playing. And this would be a perfect speaker (if somewhat efficient) to mate with my upcoming DIY7297 kit. (which is better than all the ones floating around the board currently) From what I understand about the sound of these horns it would create an image so solid you'd probably believe you could touch it.

Perhaps if no one starts in on this I will, but I don't have ANY ability to measure it right now.

Folsom

Re: LGK, Syngery horn?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2014, 08:37 pm »
Another interesting thread.

I haven't been very interested in horns until I came across this type of design.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:06 pm »
If you load those drivers into that horn there is no telling what the response will be like. It might be interesting to see though.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:20 pm »
I really want to hear one of the Danley synergy horns, it's a great idea. The synergy is patented although he seems ok with DIY projects... it's not exactly a beginner DIY project though!

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:25 pm »
What part of it is patented?

I don't have the most basic on understanding of how drivers respond to horn enclosures. I understand how horn loading occurs for things like transmission lines (IE Salk Song towners, and some GR MTM's).

But I do understand when I hear drivers that have some potential. And I do think from what people have said there's a notable legitimacy to this design. It remove a problem with phase relationship naturally, sorta interesting. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm »
What part of it is patented?

I don't have the most basic on understanding of how drivers respond to horn enclosures. I understand how horn loading occurs for things like transmission lines (IE Salk Song towners, and some GR MTM's).

But I do understand when I hear drivers that have some potential. And I do think from what people have said there's a notable legitimacy to this design. It remove a problem with phase relationship naturally, sorta interesting.

The biggest issue is when the shorter wavelengths propagate within the horn. They can cause some cancellation effects leaving holes in the response.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:19 pm »
The high frequcies? Hm.

Maybe I'll have to get the whole Mic recording thing down for testing.

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2014, 01:07 am »
Yet another problem occurs when the horns acoustic low frequency cutoff point is missed by the drivers low frequency crossover point. Substantial response curve ripples occur which obviously make the driver/horn combination sound like crap.
A steep crossover slope at the correct frequency is mandatory. The horns physical dimensions set the maximum possible low frequency crossover point.
 A tour de force example how to do this correctly is found in The Hartsfield from Classic Audio Loudspeakers. It does not sound like a horn-loaded loudspeaker at all.
Scotty

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2014, 01:12 am »
The miniDSP is quiet popular for builds like this it seems. And yet I won't even consider it whatsoever. I know you can build high order passives, the cost isn't often cheap. The crossover on the AVS forum looks to be just as such.

What you're saying Scotty makes perfect sense to me. I can see how that'd be a very easy downfall to a speaker as such.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2014, 02:04 am »
The Synergy is a very unique design, way more subtly complex then it first appears.  A good mid driver won't necessarily be good in this design, it takes a very distinct kind of mid driver, one not often used elsewhere.  The bandpass on the mid helps filter out lows and highs.  It has to be perfectly placed so that it sums in the crossover in a good way.

Bear

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2014, 07:18 am »
Very lengthy thread, it will give you a sense of just how complex the design theory is.  Every element of the design must be spot on to realize the full potential/benefits of the design.  Distance/length of the sound path inside the compression driver, the spacing of drivers acoustic centers, port size flare rate and position/transition of the mid-range ports in the corners of the waveguide, which is the case with any design, but the implementation is vastly different from the status quo.  As already mentioned, the design calls for a very specific set of parameters for the mid-range limiting options to few and far between.

"Synergy Horns, No Drawbacks, No Issues"

"A wave guide is not a horn"

"Understanding Danley Synergy
"

"Higher SQ Synergy Horn - brainstorm"

nickd

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2014, 03:31 pm »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that those horns were designed for pro use when they need to "beam" sound very far distance. Like putting direct sound to the nose bleeder seats at a big stadium from the top of stage rigging.  :dunno:

Bear

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2014, 04:16 pm »
This is the lengthy thread I was alluding to, for some reason the hyperlink failed.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2014, 04:48 pm »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that those horns were designed for pro use when they need to "beam" sound very far distance. Like putting direct sound to the nose bleeder seats at a big stadium from the top of stage rigging.  :dunno:
nickd - While your information is correct, it is incomplete.

Danley does focus entirely on the professional sound reinforcement market but certain savvy audiophiles who have the financial resources, listening space and inclination, have chosen to bring them into the home listening environment with reportedly excellent results.

If you visit the Danley website, you will discover a surprising number of options available, all of which are tailored to specific needs. Of course, you will have no need of a speaker that can reproduce 45 Hz. to 18 Khz. at 150 db from 1000 ft away. But you might enjoy the SM 60F in your home. Look it up and see for yourself.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2014, 05:25 pm »
Well, when I move into my new airplane hanger I know who I'll be talking to.

Chriso

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2014, 11:09 pm »
Hi all
This is my first post, but have been watching for a long time. There is a company in australia who has made a diy syngery horn, look very intresting, here is the link

http://www.redspade.com.au/audio/

I have not heard it, but it looks nice, but it is quite large don't know about waf though

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2014, 01:20 am »
Macrojack,

I am one of those audiophiles.  I have 3 SM60F in my home theater system.  I think they are more than excellent.  Coherency is beyond most all audiophile speakers I have heard and dynamics are startling.

But this is Danny's forum, so I won't go into length about Danley speakers.   I just think trying to use "audiophile" drivers in this design isn't likely to work.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2014, 02:40 am »
While I like dynamics, I don't need speakers to exaggerate them or anything. I was thinking a more gentle driver combination would bring me more pleasure at home. Maybe I should just look for used SMXX speakers, but I wouldn't have a clue if I'd like them for 2 channel.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2014, 03:43 am »
nickd - While your information is correct, it is incomplete.

Danley does focus entirely on the professional sound reinforcement market but certain savvy audiophiles who have the financial resources, listening space and inclination, have chosen to bring them into the home listening environment with reportedly excellent results.

If you visit the Danley website, you will discover a surprising number of options available, all of which are tailored to specific needs. Of course, you will have no need of a speaker that can reproduce 45 Hz. to 18 Khz. at 150 db from 1000 ft away. But you might enjoy the SM 60F in your home. Look it up and see for yourself.
Danley speakers are not only awesome 2 ch speakers but also make an AMAZING theater speaker.  I was very happy that I was able to experience that.  Solid engineering for sure. 

bdp24

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2014, 04:54 pm »
Awhile back there was a guy selling a pair of Danley Horn/GR Research H-frame OB sub combo speakers. It took quite some time for someone to buy them, and I don't remember where I saw them listed. I was doing a little research on OB subs, and the speakers came up from a Google search.