KWI-200 Preamp Input

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
KWI-200 Preamp Input
« on: 2 Nov 2013, 01:16 pm »
I have a KWI-200 (DAC and Phono) and interested in adding an LS100 preamp into the mix.  I want to use and XLR cable due to the 5 meter separation distance between the LS100 and KWI-200 (as planned).  Why, I have a great XLR cable and it is lower noise than an RCA over this distance.  It appears the KWI-200 has preamp inputs that are RCA only.  I believe the XLR input on the back of the KWI-200 would route through volume control on the KWI and the Preamp Input/HT bypass RCA's will circumnavigate the volume control. 

So, is it true that you can only use RCA (Preamp Input/HT bypass) to exclusively use an external preamp such as the LS100? I am pretty sure this is straight-forward "yes" but I'd like to have confirmation.  I appreciate your comments.

dminches

Re: KWI-200 Preamp Input
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2013, 01:47 pm »
The LS-100 is an unbalanced design so even if you did use an XLR-terminated cable you wouldn't benefit from the advantages of lower noise on longer cable runs.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:33 pm »
Yes, you need to use RCA's into the HT bypass input to use the LS 100 as a preamp.  You can minimize noise by using a high quality, low capacitance, shielded cable.  Do you realize that when you use the HT bypass that you will be bypassing the DAC and phono stage in the KWI 200?  What source would you be using with the LS 100?

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2013, 02:21 am »
Yes, you need to use RCA's into the HT bypass input to use the LS 100 as a preamp.  You can minimize noise by using a high quality, low capacitance, shielded cable.  Do you realize that when you use the HT bypass that you will be bypassing the DAC and phono stage in the KWI 200?  What source would you be using with the LS 100?

Thanks for the confirmation - Sources now are OPPO BDP-95 and Mac Mini with external PSU.  Looking into full services DACs: Resonessence Mirus, Modwright Elyse DAC, QB-9dsd and Modwright OPPO BDP-105.  I don't use the Disc transport much and I wonder how good the Modwright Oppo is as a DAC.  I will likely use the DAC as the "lever-up" component as I develop two systems where the KWI is a stand alone system.  I am really loving the simplicity of the KWI-200 and feel strongly that it "punches above its weight-class" as an amp as well as integrated.  So, the KWI-200 has a long-position with me but I am building a more complex 2-channel system as well.

Yes, I understand the bypass of the phono/DAC but I can use the LS100 as a phono input "sweetner".  Phono is a source I am targeting in 2014.

roadkingraw

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:55 am »
I think you would be better off selling the KWI200 and picking up a 100 or 100SE amp to use with the LS 100.  You can find them pretty reasonable on AG and in return sell your KWI on AG and come out ahead.  Just my opinion.
Randy