Amarra best version

audioengr

Re: Amarra best version
« Reply #60 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:11 pm »
Dear Steve

Thanks so much for the pointers! A few more questions if I may:

1. Do you no longer offer a battery power supply for your USB interface? If so, why?

No.  Bacause it was all hand-built and I dont have time for this anymore.  I dont sell enough of these to warrant contract assembly.

2. Have you compared your 2009 Mac Mini's (just missed pulling the trigger on one at auction, bummer…) audio performance to that of a Mac Book Pro (whose RFI rejection is said to be superior)?

No, but one customer with both likes the Pro

3. How important is the OS's ability to do handle files in integer mode (in other words, should one install 10.6.8 Snow Leopard instead of Mountain Lion on a dedicated music server)?

I am using Snow Leopard.  some have said ML sounds better, but my most reliable contact says no.

4. How does one play back files on a Mac Mini if no USB connections are ever meant to be used simultaneously, that is none apart from the one connected to the USB interface (no keyboard, no screen), with the WiFi turned off? (Only thing that springs to mind would be to connect the Mac Mini to the local network via Ethernet and use e.g. an iPhone or iPad via the "remote" app.)

I use bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse and I dont bother turning off WiFi.  Some of these things have little or no effect IME.  Like 64-bit mode.  I cant hear anything....

Steve N.

acousticsguru

« Reply #61 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:54 pm »
Thanks again, Steve!

Still on the look-out for a 2009 Mini. Curious: once you replaced the original HD with an SSD, what happened to the fan (noise)? Even assuming the temperature sensor is being reattached, don't those older models always run their fan at a minimum 1'800 rpm (if not higher)?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

acousticsguru

« Reply #62 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:58 pm »
By the way, do you use the in-built, or preferably an external drive to rip files? Asking this because I'm obviously looking at used 2009 late Minis.

audioengr

« Reply #63 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:15 am »
By the way, do you use the in-built, or preferably an external drive to rip files? Asking this because I'm obviously looking at used 2009 late Minis.

I never notice the fan noise.  Its at my side, not in front.

I use a USB Teac slot drive to rip CD's.

Steve N.

grannyring

« Reply #64 on: 31 Aug 2013, 12:27 pm »
I have been using the Amarra version Steve suggests for some time now. I tried the 2.5 version and it sounds better to me. More body, improved tone and not as thin sounding. You may want to try it as I was quite surprised with the overall improvement.

The bass is full and has more impact. The bottom line to me is it is just more musical and less Hifi or digital sounding. The differences are not day and night here, but degrees.

This is the first time any version has sounded better than the 19 version we all enjoy. I am not referring to the 2.5.1, but the 2.5.

I use a Lampizator 4/4 dac and followed all of Steve's advice with a 2009 Mini, SW tweaks, SSD drive etc.... I have a Mojo Audio power supply on the Mini that made the biggest difference of all as an FYI to the group.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 31 Aug 2013, 04:21 pm »
I think it is good also, but the focus is not quite as good with my system. I'm sticking w/4319. It is just more real sounding to me.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 13 Dec 2013, 09:53 pm »
Tried Amarra 2.6 today and it is pretty good. It has a deeper soundstage and the detail is on par with 2.3.3. It has a quieter background in the music also, making it more immersive, so to speak...

The only 2 drawbacks are the center focus is not quite as fine tuned as 2.3.3, although close. The bass is not quite as focused either, but I will say that 2.6 is really good. If they could just sharpen up the focus, it would be a winner for sure. It did improve on a couple things over 2.3.3.

Still staying with 2.3.3 though for the time being.  It just locks in better  :)

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 28 Feb 2014, 02:33 am »
Thought I would share this here, as it pertains to Amarra...

I quickly realized that no TV or monitor plugged into the Mini made a nice improvement to the sound.

In order to do this, I had been using the Remote App for the Ipad, to control Amarra/ITunes. However, I like the Playlist function for Amarra, with my ever increasing library of music. I like the convenience of dragging the file into the Playlist, and done.

I found an App called PocketCloud, and I know there are others, and I'm sure I am late to this party, but this one works pretty good. It allows me to control the desktop from the Ipad.

So, you effectively improve the sound of the Mini by disconnecting the monitor, while being able to remotely control the Playlist feature of Amarra. Win Win!

rogerdn

« Reply #68 on: 1 Mar 2014, 01:01 am »
Thought I would share this here, as it pertains to Amarra...

I quickly realized that no TV or monitor plugged into the Mini made a nice improvement to the sound.

In order to do this, I had been using the Remote App for the Ipad, to control Amarra/ITunes. However, I like the Playlist function for Amarra, with my ever increasing library of music. I like the convenience of dragging the file into the Playlist, and done.
T
I found an App called PocketCloud, and I know there are others, and I'm sure I am late to this party, but this one works pretty good. It allows me to control the desktop from the Ipad

So, you effectively improve the sound of the Mini by disconnecting the monitor, while being able to remotely control the Playlist feature of Amarra. Win Win!

Paul79...Thks for the heads up on the PocketCloud (running JRMC however), it actually installed easily and is great, have been looking for something like this for some time. Will disconnect my monitor too and give a listen.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #69 on: 9 May 2014, 07:14 pm »
I have been using Amarra Symphony w/IRC since early January. Prior to that I was using the stock Amarra release. The integrated room correction in Symphony is killer good. It was a pricey upgrade but well worth it IMO.

rogerdn

« Reply #70 on: 8 Jul 2014, 02:15 pm »
Steve, assume you have listened to 3.0, any SQ changes/improvements ?  Can I get the best SQ with regular Amarra and the iRC add on or do I need Sym ?

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #71 on: 15 Jul 2014, 08:51 pm »
I think the IRC add on is a partial implementation called IRC(b) which does the lower frequency corrections. I had a chance to listen to Amarra 3.0 with IRC(b) when I upgraded to Symphony 3.0 and Sonic Studio sent me the wrong upgrade link. Based on that relatively short listening experience, Symphony with IRC is much better than Amarra with IRC(b).

The reason the listening experience was so short is that I knew within about 2 seconds something was wrong with the original upgrade, it really was that obvious.

Todd

rogerdn

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:13 am »
Thks Todd, after posting I learned on CA that was the case. 

ijarvile

• FinnAudio
Re: Amarra best version - 4319 ACTIVATION CODE
« Reply #73 on: 14 Jul 2022, 05:49 pm »
Hi Steve and all other dear audiophiles!!

I'm still a huge fan of Steve's Off-Ramp 5 with his PSU using them with my highly modified Mac mini late 2009 (with Paul Hynes PSU SR-7).

I've used Amarra 2.6 for years and after the latest upgrades I decided to try the version 4319, downloaded a software for 15-day trial.
I loved a version of 4319 so much better than 2.6, but I entered to a huge problem after the 15-day trial of the version 4319.
I've activation activation codes for 2.6 and 3.0 that either one didn't work with the version of 4319.

I contacted to Sonic Studio (Amarra) what can be done to get 4319 and they told me it's the older license model that they don't support anymore.
Like stated I tried my activation codes for the versions of 2.6 and 3.0, and both of them didn't work with 4319 when trying to activate it.
How to get Amarra 4319 activated as Sonic Studio is not willing to provide any advice or support on this matter.

What are my options to get the version of 4319 activated?.

Would it work, if I buy license (with iLok), activation code from the other audiophile who isn't using it anymore?. Would it really work?.

Or is there any other way around to solve this problem I'm currently having with the version of 4319? I'd highly appreciate any advice, on this matter..

Can you Steve or anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance, Ilkka

audioengr

Re: Amarra best version - 4319 ACTIVATION CODE
« Reply #74 on: 6 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm »
I wish I knew how to help you.  Amarra, like many companies don't support older versions.  They did for a while, but then stopped.

Steve N.

Hi Steve and all other dear audiophiles!!

I'm still a huge fan of Steve's Off-Ramp 5 with his PSU using them with my highly modified Mac mini late 2009 (with Paul Hynes PSU SR-7).

I've used Amarra 2.6 for years and after the latest upgrades I decided to try the version 4319, downloaded a software for 15-day trial.
I loved a version of 4319 so much better than 2.6, but I entered to a huge problem after the 15-day trial of the version 4319.
I've activation activation codes for 2.6 and 3.0 that either one didn't work with the version of 4319.

I contacted to Sonic Studio (Amarra) what can be done to get 4319 and they told me it's the older license model that they don't support anymore.
Like stated I tried my activation codes for the versions of 2.6 and 3.0, and both of them didn't work with 4319 when trying to activate it.
How to get Amarra 4319 activated as Sonic Studio is not willing to provide any advice or support on this matter.

What are my options to get the version of 4319 activated?.

Would it work, if I buy license (with iLok), activation code from the other audiophile who isn't using it anymore?. Would it really work?.

Or is there any other way around to solve this problem I'm currently having with the version of 4319? I'd highly appreciate any advice, on this matter..

Can you Steve or anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance, Ilkka

ijarvile

• FinnAudio
« Reply #75 on: 11 Aug 2022, 08:39 am »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.
I've a simple question for you: "Would it be a feasible option to move forward, if I buy older license 2.3.3 (4319) from another audiophile who has no a need and use for it anymore?" Any thoughts on this.?

A many companies don't support older versions?! I've worked so many 20+ years in industry leading high-tech environment, and software projects that it makes me wonder, if company does not have any backwards compatibility in their software development. It's a bad sign of software quality factors and also often means that they don't have software architecture existing (e.g. how you build your house, clear structures), that often lead increased software overhead, complexity and lower performance, when new solutions and features are introduced... Then a music industry has a lot to do, and learn about high quality software development.?

Thank you in advance, Ilkka

audioengr

« Reply #76 on: 12 Aug 2022, 04:02 pm »
That might work.  Seems like everything is lower quality now and not meant to last.  Nothing repairable either.  They don't want to maintain older software.

Even my own third-party developer of my USB firmware abandoned the version that I have so it no longer works with Mac OS, only Linux and Windows.

Steve N.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response.
I've a simple question for you: "Would it be a feasible option to move forward, if I buy older license 2.3.3 (4319) from another audiophile who has no a need and use for it anymore?" Any thoughts on this.?

A many companies don't support older versions?! I've worked so many 20+ years in industry leading high-tech environment, and software projects that it makes me wonder, if company does not have any backwards compatibility in their software development. It's a bad sign of software quality factors and also often means that they don't have software architecture existing (e.g. how you build your house, clear structures), that often lead increased software overhead, complexity and lower performance, when new solutions and features are introduced... Then a music industry has a lot to do, and learn about high quality software development.?

Thank you in advance, Ilkka