Endozime

Wayner

Re: Endozime
« Reply #20 on: 12 Sep 2009, 06:25 pm »
 :lol:

orthobiz

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2009, 03:38 pm »
I gave my daughter a copy of Strange Days by the Doors. We spun it briefly and were dismayed about how noisy it was. It had the scratchy sound every revolution that usually means it's a crappy copy. However, the opening in the sleeve was aligned with the outer jacket, so maybe it was just dusty. No visible mold despite having a faint odor (that typical basement vinyl smell).

Endozime followed by L'art du Son followed by reverse osmosis water rinse on the Loricraft and voila! A clean, perfectly listenable record with excellent dynamics. (I have the boxed set brand new and don't listen to them much so I'm NOT gonna be jealous, right???).

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2009, 06:00 pm »
So, did anybody mix some of this stuff up and try it? I know John's at a meeting this week, so maybe he's out of the loop right now.

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2009, 06:28 pm »
I did and used it on two used albums I got last week. It took off fingerprints and smudges, but in the case of the two new used LPs, they were in not the best shape, so I couldn't comment on the sonics. I'm waiting to find another dirty LP to try it again. It does seem to work, tho. Good job.

Wayner  8)

analognut

« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2009, 08:48 pm »
Have only tried it on one LP. So far, I'm with wayner in that it does seem to work, but I'm not sure if the LP was made quieter by the Endozime or the hand-scrubbing as opposed to being previously cleaned with the Nitty Gritty. Going to try it on a few LPs I've already hand-scrubbed and are still dirty-sounding. Outa time already today! Will have more to say tomorrow.  :)

analognut

« Reply #25 on: 19 Sep 2009, 04:00 am »
Hey orthobiz-

Thanks for your generosity in providing the Endozime.

The short story:

Endozime might or might not help your LPs.

The long story:

I ended up mixing mine at the rate of 1/2 oz. to a quart, which, although only half the strength that others used is still double the product's mixing instructions. At that strength the solution:

did as good a job of cleaning dirt, grime, and fingerprints off of my kitchen cupboards as full strength concentrated "Simple Green" does;

dried without leaving a trace when sprayed on a clean mirror;

easily cleaned grease off of the mirror when applied by rubbing my fingers across my greasy fore-head and then wiping them on the mirror;

did a super job of cleaning off the ring in the bathtub.

I spent the whole day cleaning and playing LPs (8 albums).

Four of the eight LPs were "pre-owned" albums recorded between 1967 and 1970, and purchased recently on ebay. They are well-worn and beat up. I had previously cleaned them with my Nitty Gritty, and then hand-scrubbed them using the same cleaning fluid because they were still noisy as hell. I use distilled water mixed 1:1 with the commonly available 70% isopropyl alcohol and 2-3 drops of Dawn per quart. Surprising me, hand scrubbing these four had yielded no improvement over the RCM cleaning. And I use a good brush (old LAST applicators).

So these previously unsuccesfully cleaned old ebay LPs were cleaned with Endozime today in the following manner before playing:

Place on a flat piece of acrylic into the kitchen sink and thoroughly scrub (moderate to firm pressure, two minutes per side) using old LAST Record Preservative applicators. I don't worry about getting the labels wet. It doesn't hurt them as long as you don't over-do it. They dry quickly.  Thoroughly rinse by spraying warm water from the sink's sprayer directly on the vinyl at any angle I choose. Then they are rushed to the Nitty Gritty to be vacuumed dry. Hey, I'm not gonna BUY distilled rinse water! Ridiculous.   :idea: If I can spray tap water onto a mirror and vacuum it off leaving no traces I figure I can do the same with my vinyl. When these ebay albums were played today there was a BIG change. Big reduction in number of pops, huge drop in the noise floor. Very nice. 100% better.

The remaining four were from the collection I've had for about 30 years and all were purchased new by me and extremely well-cared for. They were cleaned today in the same way as the other four. I detected no drop in number of pops and no reduction in the noise floor. Apparently I've kept them clean enough they're as good as they can get.

The last album played today was also the first album played. I first played it without applying Endozime. Playing it at the end of the day I first cleaned it with Endozime. It was recorded through my reference Juli@ soundcard into the computer both times at 24/88.2, and both files were opened in my audio editor. Confirming what my ears were telling me, there was no visual indication that the EZ cleaning had reduced the noise floor or changed the number of pops.

The moral of the story:
If you have a lot of "pre-owned" LPs which have an unknown history, then Endozime can be very effective in improving the sound. If your collection is largely purchased new by yourself and you've religiously tried your best to keep them clean (this includes using an RCM on them once or twice in the last 10 years) then there's a good chance they already sound fine!   :)

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 19 Sep 2009, 11:41 am »
Just remember that not all noise is caused by dirt or grime in the grooves. Some of it is damage in one form or another, Some is static discharge amd so on.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #27 on: 19 Sep 2009, 12:31 pm »
Wow! What a write-up, guess you really ARE an analognut and a fellow experimenter! I have been garage saleing (?) a lot this summer and some surprisingly dusty and grimy records clean up fairly well with the Endozime and become playable. But I don't really ever use it as the only treatment, I always go with the three step process of EZ, l'art du Son, RO water. Some records get tossed despite this and any treatment will not eliminate gouged out grooves and years of abuse.

I haven't added scrubbing to the regimen and I have some old LAST scrubbers, too, as well as some plush "disposable" record cleaning hand held devices. It's just so easy to spray, suck and play!

Bottom line: I think it's safe for the vinyl, it has not rendered any disks unplayable. And it's free, my hospital has no problem giving me some (they're splashing this stuff all over at work!). Way cheaper than Vinylzime...

People at stevehoffman.tv have brought up ultrapure Reagent Water as a mixing agent. Lord help me, I called over to the hospital lab and yes, they carry this stuff!

The sickness continues. Contact me if you want more enzyme!

Paul

analognut

« Reply #28 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:51 pm »
That's cool. Thanx again Ortho. The free 1 oz sample should last quite a while. I used an 8 oz sprayer and it's still 2/3 full, which works out to almost exactly using 1 oz  of solution per disc, and that equates to having enough EZ left for 120 more LPs! As effective as it was on the grungy ebay albums I'll stick to that percentage, which, in case anybody's interested was 1/2 oz Endozime per quart of solution.

And yes, I, like so many others just got to the point where I no longer purchase CDs because they don't give me satisfaction! So I have unintentionally become an analognut. Experimenter? Sure! That's parta the fun!

HayeCious

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:24 am »
I love The short story.,The long story,.The moral of the story that you posted .,i am so glad I read those thing .,