Omega Super 7 and vintage Marantz?

btimm

Omega Super 7 and vintage Marantz?
« on: 26 Jan 2015, 06:55 am »
I recently purchased a vintage 1977 Marantz 2265b Stereo Receiver in mint condition @ 65 wpc 8 ohms. Having done my due diligence in researching various ID speakers, I always return to Omega's for their classic simplicity and outstanding reviews. My focus being the former/current Super 7 Monitor with the option of a subwoofer.

The speakers will be placed on a 15' wall in a 12' x 15' room with 7'.5" ceilings, hardwood floors, area rug, and minimally furnished.

My completed system will include a Rega 6 turntable and Oppo BP 103 (cd's)

Music includes Jazz, R&B, Classical... all within moderate volume.

Your thoughts will be most appreciated!

Bruce

rar1

Re: Omega Super 7 and vintage Marantz?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2015, 11:14 am »
For a number of years, I used the Omega Super 3i with a Marantz 2240b and a Cambridge Audio 540 CD player and very much enjoyed the combination.  It was a bedroom system and so speaker placement had to fit into the overall decorating scheme, but it was still a very nice sounding system.  Excellent with vocals, good level of detail, very musical sounding. I wound up gifting the Marantz 2240b to Les Paul, a few years  before he passed, but today I am still using an Omega 3 variant (3T) with an Outlaw RR2150 receiver.  If you go back to the threads here from Nov 2012, I posted my thoughts about the Omega 3T.   

For the room you are considering and depending on how loud 'moderate' is as a listening volume, I would consider the Super 3i or the Super 7 or just blow the cash and get the Super Alnico.  I have always preferred the look of the Omega monitors to the floor standers, but that is a personal preference.  The Super 7s have caught my eye and I am considering purchasing them for another system. 

Rich

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2015, 06:05 pm »
Hi Bruce,

Looking at your upline components, I would seriously consider the new Super 7 Monitor MK2.  It will fit a wide variety of music, situations, room sizes, and equipment.

btimm

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm »
For a number of years, I used the Omega Super 3i with a Marantz 2240b and a Cambridge Audio 540 CD player and very much enjoyed the combination.  It was a bedroom system and so speaker placement had to fit into the overall decorating scheme, but it was still a very nice sounding system.  Excellent with vocals, good level of detail, very musical sounding. I wound up gifting the Marantz 2240b to Les Paul, a few years  before he passed, but today I am still using an Omega 3 variant (3T) with an Outlaw RR2150 receiver.  If you go back to the threads here from Nov 2012, I posted my thoughts about the Omega 3T.   

For the room you are considering and depending on how loud 'moderate' is as a listening volume, I would consider the Super 3i or the Super 7 or just blow the cash and get the Super Alnico.  I have always preferred the look of the Omega monitors to the floor standers, but that is a personal preference.  The Super 7s have caught my eye and I am considering purchasing them for another system. 

Rich

I'm very happy knowing you have paired Omega's with a vintage Marantz receiver and pleased with your decision. These forums are very helpful if not critical in ones decision when purchasing ID speakers.

The Omega monitors are indeed my preference.

Much appreciate!

Bruce

btimm

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:39 pm »
Hi Bruce,

Looking at your upline components, I would seriously consider the new Super 7 Monitor MK2.  It will fit a wide variety of music, situations, room sizes, and equipment.

In your opinion would you opt for an Omega subwoofer when purchasing the Omega Super 7 Monitor MK2, or should it remain a personal preference after the speakers are in place?

Bruce

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:58 pm »
In your opinion would you opt for an Omega subwoofer when purchasing the Omega Super 7 Monitor MK2, or should it remain a personal preference after the speakers are in place?

Bruce
I would get the speakers first, and thoroughly break them in, then at that point decide if you need a sub.  Keep in mind 3 things: 1) these monitors are capable of good, full bass, 2) some music genres don't even get down into subwoofer territory, and 3) the room, and speaker placement can also effect bass output.

If you do go with a sub, an Omega sub would be a no-brainer, as they are made to go with Omega speakers.

btimm

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:18 am »
I would get the speakers first, and thoroughly break them in, then at that point decide if you need a sub.  Keep in mind 3 things: 1) these monitors are capable of good, full bass, 2) some music genres don't even get down into subwoofer territory, and 3) the room, and speaker placement can also effect bass output.

If you do go with a sub, an Omega sub would be a no-brainer, as they are made to go with Omega speakers.
[/quote

Thanks Rob, your advice is most appreciated! Admittedly, this is my first "stereo system" since purchasing my Bang & Olufsen back in the early 70's at a brick and mortar store... Hi-Fi Hutch.

Bruce
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2015, 07:05 am by btimm »