I thought I could resist....not

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: I thought I could resist....not
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:03 pm »
At my first go round with the RMAF, I heard a couple of speaker systems that were close to my LS9s, but nothing that I thought was better.  It wasn't until the Serenity 7 speaker that I thought I heard something that bested the big line arrays. TAD and Wilson had some competitors, but not necessarily better speakers- and certainly not in the same price range. 
I've always come home without the slightest twinge of up grade-itis   

orientalexpress

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2015, 06:13 pm »
Those speakers remind me Jesse Pinkman system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws9Qn5w_dJU  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2015, 06:20 pm »
Everyone's system sounds better than everyone else's, to that person.  Hahaha.

S Clark

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2015, 06:54 pm »
My system is by no means "better than everyone else's", but I think that it is safe to say the big line arrays are solidly designed and crafted.  Some of the guys over at AVS seem to think that they are a gimmick with major design flaws  :dunno:
My experience is that they create a type of music that I listen to most (orchestral classical) better than anything else that I could have put together in a budget of less than $3200. The V series is close, but I still like the LS9 for classical.  I got lucky on cabinet cost as AV123 was collapsing and I bought a pair on closeout just before the bankruptcy.  The big TAD's or Wilson's would require moving the price decimal to get into the same ballpark in quality.  Even the Serenity 7's, which I think are better, simply are out my price range.

bdp24

« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2015, 09:22 pm »
Those speakers remind me Jesse Pinkman system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws9Qn5w_dJU  :thumb:
! A lot of Home Theater/Audio-Visual set-ups remind me of the sound-reinforcement systems (PA's) at rock concerts. When I was 21 I lived in a "band house", and our stereo speakers were a pair of Altec Voice-of-the-Theater. A 15" woofer and horn per side---huge, efficient, and horribly colored!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2015, 09:29 pm »
My system is by no means "better than everyone else's", but I think that it is safe to say the big line arrays are solidly designed and crafted.  Some of the guys over at AVS seem to think that they are a gimmick with major design flaws  :dunno:
My experience is that they create a type of music that I listen to most (orchestral classical) better than anything else that I could have put together in a budget of less than $3200. The V series is close, but I still like the LS9 for classical.  I got lucky on cabinet cost as AV123 was collapsing and I bought a pair on closeout just before the bankruptcy.  The big TAD's or Wilson's would require moving the price decimal to get into the same ballpark in quality.  Even the Serenity 7's, which I think are better, simply are out my price range.

Super 7's are my next speaker - after 10 years of hitting 30 rooms every year at RMAF and a ton of stuff locally, they are the best non-line-array speakers I've ever heard.  They are even better than the LS-9, IMO, but not better than the Mockingbird Audio OB line arrays, which were just un-f'ing-beleivable.  I've heard a ton of speakers like the ones the AVS guys are so wet in the panties over, and they pretty much don't hold a candle to the level of speakers Danny has produced since the LS and Super-V stuff. 

S Clark

« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2015, 09:40 pm »
Super 7's are my next speaker - after 10 years of hitting 30 rooms every year at RMAF and a ton of stuff locally, they are the best non-line-array speakers I've ever heard.  They are even better than the LS-9, IMO, but not better than the Mockingbird Audio OB line arrays, which were just un-f'ing-beleivable.  I've heard a ton of speakers like the ones the AVS guys are so wet in the panties over, and they pretty much don't hold a candle to the level of speakers Danny has produced since the LS and Super-V stuff.
I pretty much agree with every thing above.  The Serenity and Mockingbird are better than the LS9.  Clearly better. But they are in completely different price categories.   And when the next array gets finished, it will be better still.  I went by Danny's yesterday and saw that Aluminum winged frame of the next generation...stunningly dead for a large piece of metal.  I tapped, thumped, rubbed to no avail.  Nothing wanted to resonate.  There must be some dark magic going on there- metal should ring!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2015, 09:54 pm »
Probably similar aluminum to the old Grado HP1000 headphones.  Very dead material for aluminum. 

Reminds me of 6061-T6 aluminum that we used to use in racks for aircraft.

Skiman

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2015, 11:25 pm »
I had to chime in over at AVS. Here's my post:

Here are a couple of reviews of the LS9 and LS6 speakers:

http://dagogo.com/gr-research-ls9-loudspeaker-review

http://www.stereomojo.com/LS6%20revi...3LS6review.htm

As a professional speaker designer, Danny Richie has an incredible wealth of knowledge and understanding of speaker design. He is also willing to share this knowledge online, and I urge anyone who would like to learn more about this area to keep an open mind when reading his thoughts. He also never backs down when he knows he is correct.

I happen to own a pair of LS9s and their center channel mate, the LSC. Simply awesome speakers.

Too bad notnyt lives so far from me, I'd love to have him over for a listen.

No comments on the review links.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2015, 12:17 am »
So check this out (or don't). There is a guy over there that goes by notnyt or something... He has been the guy that I had to respond to constantly in that thread.

So I commented on his plywood sub woofers and posted a link his pictures in his gallery. And they were real lightly braced and flimsy boxes by the way. I posted links to two pictures in his gallery. And so then he goes into his gallery and changes his picture associated with that URL so that the pictures are now a bunch of human genitalia mutilation pictures. So these filthy pictures pop up in my posts!

Is this guy good one or what?

So I go in and edit my posts and instead link to the smaller picture in the front page of his gallery. So I got the vulgar pictures out of my posts, but not before a bunch of people saw it and commented on it.

I also reported this guys posts.

I don't know what the moderators did with this guy, but what's really weird is they banned me until the 24th of this month. What a deal! It was my first time to be banned from a forum.

S Clark

« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2015, 12:26 am »
Banned from AVS!!!! OH NO!!!
Think of it as a positive.  The truth is that you were wasting your time on that guy.  Let your accolades from knowledgeable reviewers sway the public.  Honestly, the most impressive thing I've seen in quite a while is  Tyson's statement that the speakers he want most is the Serenity Super 7's.  Although not a "pro", his reviews of the RMAF are respected and followed by a lot of people...  and his experience seems to closely align with mine.  :thumb:

lowtech

« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2015, 12:28 am »
It was my first time to be banned from a forum.

Did they remove the lifetime ban at HTGuide for discussing anything GR or are you not counting that one?

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2015, 12:54 am »
Lowtech, I'm surprised that Danny hasn't banned you from posting on his circle, considering your own history.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:03 am »
So check this out (or don't). There is a guy over there that goes by notnyt or something... He has been the guy that I had to respond to constantly in that thread.

So I commented on his plywood sub woofers and posted a link his pictures in his gallery. And they were real lightly braced and flimsy boxes by the way. I posted links to two pictures in his gallery. And so then he goes into his gallery and changes his picture associated with that URL so that the pictures are now a bunch of human genitalia mutilation pictures. So these filthy pictures pop up in my posts!

So I go in and edit my posts and instead link to the smaller picture in the front page of his gallery. So I got the vulgar pictures out of my posts, but not before a bunch of people saw it and commented on it.

I don't know what the moderators did with this guy, but what's really weird is they banned me until the 24th of this month. What a deal! It was my first time to be banned from a forum.
Part of me wants to say I'm surprised by this, but sadly, I am not.

AVS - what a great place! I used to practically live on that website, now I'm visiting at most once a month unless I'm after something specific (calibration settings on my last Plasma for example)

:thumbdown:

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:33 am »

Sorry man, but I have to laugh, finding this  comical althugh it sucks  that  you've been noted as being part of it.
I didn't look , but assume you  didn't make the links to his gallery actually  visible  (eg  http://www.audiocircle.com  vs same link so that everyone could see the images were in  HIS  gallery.  Even if you didn't ,  most would look at the actual links and  realize  they were in fact being manipulated by him.  As if the mods didn't  realzie  this  :scratch:
Thak god  all forums aren't like that 

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:56 am »
Did they remove the lifetime ban at HTGuide for discussing anything GR or are you not counting that one?

I was never banned from there. I think if anyone talked about any of my products there it just turned into a subjective verses flat earth debate. They didn't want to hear anything about any companies selling snake oiled boutique capacitors....

Davey

« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:14 am »
If it's not subjective is it flat-earth?
I hope you're not saying/concluding there's nothing in between those two.

Dave.

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:23 am »
If it's not subjective is it flat-earth?
I hope you're not saying/concluding there's nothing in between those two.

Dave.

I was giving the inverse of their views. For them there is the objective verses the kooks. Or something like that.

Same old, same old, over and over....

Oddly enough I am a bit in both camps as I am quite the one for measurement taking. But I am pretty open minded to listen and trust my ears as well. I tend to make a stand with the subjective guys though when the objective guys refuse to listen at all, and just draw conclusions.

Davey

« Reply #38 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:36 am »
Danny,

It's preferable to be in both camps, but I suggest to make that distinction clear when commenting.  I'm actually getting kind of tired of the knee-jerking position from subjectivists that those of us who are interested in objective measurements can't/don't listen.  When Ric Schultz calls listening the "only true knowledge in audio" I laugh out loud.

There are plenty of "kooks" involved in audio, but I haven't found them to be exclusive to any particular portion of it.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

lowtech

« Reply #39 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:40 am »
I was never banned from there. I think if anyone talked about any of my products there it just turned into a subjective verses flat earth debate. They didn't want to hear anything about any companies selling snake oiled boutique capacitors....

Ironically, Discussion of your cohort's product was banned for being *too* "flat earth".  And, for the record - here's the link:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?28354-New-Rules!-our-apologies-to-Bill-Maher-)