Series vs Parallel Crossovers

roymail

• Roy in TX
Series vs Parallel Crossovers
« on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:43 pm »
Not looking for a technical discussion, just a few simple questions mainly about series crossovers.  Do series xovers present an easier load to the amplifier?  Are they any easier to drive than parallel xovers?  Are there advantages of one over the other?

Thanks for all who take the time to answer my questions.

Danny Richie

Re: Series vs Parallel Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:25 am »
Not looking for a technical discussion, just a few simple questions mainly about series crossovers.  Do series xovers present an easier load to the amplifier?  Are they any easier to drive than parallel xovers?  Are there advantages of one over the other?

Thanks for all who take the time to answer my questions.

The load to the amplifier is not changed because the crossover is one or the other.

The series crossover works well at low crossover points where slopes can be shallow. At higher crossover points higher order series crossovers can be used just like parallel crossovers. The bonus of the series crossover is that it allows for a shift in phase that may be beneficial in some cases. 

The disadvantage is that the crossover in a series network works with both driver sets as a whole. So any alteration will effect one driver in one direction and the other driver in another direction. So it lacks the flexibility of a parallel crossover where each driver filter can be adjusted independently of the other.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:45 am »
Thanks to both of you. I got to learn something new!  :thumb:

Piggyback crossover question:

Will upgrading caps and/or inductors in a crossover always result in improved sound? For example: I own a Paradigm center channel. It's got a really cheap looking crossover. If I replace its various components with Mills resistors, Sonicaps, and awesome inductors, will the new crossover deliver much improved SQ?

Thank you for your time.

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:48 am »
Thanks to both of you. I got to learn something new!  :thumb:

Piggyback crossover question:

Will upgrading caps and/or inductors in a crossover always result in improved sound? For example: I own a Paradigm center channel. It's got a really cheap looking crossover. If I replace its various components with Mills resistors, Sonicaps, and awesome inductors, will the new crossover deliver much improved SQ?

Thank you for your time.

Michael

Upgrading the crossover parts will have the same benefit regardless of whether it is a series or parallel circuit design.

And considering what comes in the Paradigm models, the performance gain can be very significant.

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2015, 04:26 am »
Danny,

Thank you. I struggle with whether it is worth upgrading the crossover in the Paradigm or replacing the speaker with a superior center channel (with a kick ass upgraded crossover).....I'm leaning toward replacing the CC...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2015, 04:33 am »
What are you using for main speakers?

Mike

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2015, 05:09 am »
Hello, Mike.

My HT system is in flux. (I guess that what it is anyway.) I'm temporarily using my ProAc Response D2 monitors for LR duty. I know the Paradigm doesn't match the D2s.  :nono: I have two other pairs of speakers: Danny's LGKs and Adelphos 2-ways using SB Acoustics Satori drivers. I quite like them. Anyway, the Adelphos are in my bedroom system; the LGKs are in my home office.

I've waffled on what to do for a while now. One easy option is to build the Adelphos center channel kit. That would take care of things quite nicely. Another option is to buy a ProAc CC. Yet another is to try Danny's offering that matches the LGKs. I really like my D2s, but let's face it......there is SO much more bang for the buck with kits than buying retail.

If I keep the LGKs in my office, then I really need to buy a second sub. The LGKs sound great with a bit of volume, but I often play them pretty low.

Decisions...decisions......answers?? advices?? helpses?????  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2015, 04:17 am »
Michael,

I'm not sure Danny has a center channel design for the LGK 1.0. You could always use a third LGK 1.0 as a center channel.

I don't know anything about your other speakers to recommend a center.

Mike

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:12 am »
The load to the amplifier is not changed because the crossover is one or the other.

The series crossover works well at low crossover points where slopes can be shallow. At higher crossover points higher order series crossovers can be used just like parallel crossovers. The bonus of the series crossover is that it allows for a shift in phase that may be beneficial in some cases. 

The disadvantage is that the crossover in a series network works with both driver sets as a whole. So any alteration will effect one driver in one direction and the other driver in another direction. So it lacks the flexibility of a parallel crossover where each driver filter can be adjusted independently of the other.

Danny, thanks for answering my questions in a way that even I can understand it.  That's exactly what I wanted to understand better.  Hope it was also helpful for others.  All the best:)

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:21 am »
Hey mresseguie,

If you want a good low cost solution that will match well with your D-2's then the X-CS Encore kits are a good low cost design that will be a good match.

Just for fun you might want to try those LGK's as mains. A matching center would be just a single unit. I can make you a deal on a single.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2015, 08:25 am »
Danny,

I have thought about the N3S with upgraded crossover parts a couple times, but I keep bumping up against the recommendation they be used in a small to medium room. My current HT room is pretty spacious- 15.5' front to back X 29' wide plus there is a 16 foot high cathedral ceiling. It's 29' W because the kitchen/family room is open plan. Part of the cathedral ceiling opens up to the 2nd floor hallway. I've got a single F12G sub trying to fill this space. I either need a couple more of the same subs, or I need bigger subs.

Or perhaps I should move to a smaller house.

All this space just swallows up the LGKs. They actually sound pretty decent in my office.