Favorite Soundtrack Albums

Johng316

« on: 3 Jul 2003, 03:29 pm »
I love the music from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".... excellent recording, too.

I just picked up the soundtrack to "Undercover Brother..."  It's not a top-notch recording, but can you say.... "Play that funky music, white boy"?  I love the bass-heavy funk.  Awesome!

Telarc puts out an album called Star Tracks that is very good.... Theme music from science fiction movies (Star Wars, Star Trek, Superman, 2001, etc).  EXCELLENT recordings and fun to listen to.

What do you like?

John G

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2003, 03:41 pm »
One of my fav's , the soundtrack from " Glory ". :D  Excellent !!

HarleyMYK

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2003, 03:50 pm »
"Performance"  Althought the recording shows its age (done in 1970), I think it was a watershed piece of work. There is Ry playing his guitar in counterpoint to intense tablas more than 20 years before "A Meeting by the River" and The Last Poets heralding the birth of Rap more than a decade before the word Rap was invented. Some may not be familiar with Buffy Saite-Marrie. I was wild about Buffy when I was in high school and remember seeing her in concert when I was about 15. Unfortunately, she doesn't do much in the way of her affected tremolo vocals on this album, but her mouth bow performance has never been more creative. Randy Newman and Mick Jagger obviously need no introduction, but I have never been able to find out who is playing bass with Mick on this version of "Memo from Turner". Merry Clayton, now known mostly for her work on "Dirty Dancing" was around in 1963 with the Capitol single "It's in his kiss". Jack really gets her to belt it out - although only too briefly - in "Poor White Hound Dog".

I also love the sound track from "The Harder They Come" with Jimmy Cliff et al.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2003, 04:00 pm »
My favorites:

High Fidelity
Pulp Fiction
Trainspotting
Vanilla Sky

Carlman

A few faves...
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2003, 04:22 pm »
The ones I tend to listen to for pleasure: (recording quality varies)
-Romeo and Juliet, the one with Claire Daines in the '90's
-Resevoir Dogs
-Swingers
-Dancer in the Dark (Bjork's musical)

Tonto Yoder

Off topic---Down From the Mountain
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2003, 04:47 pm »
Quote from: Johng316
I love the music from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?".... excellent recording, too.

John G

Do you have the companion DVD???  Live concert performances from many of the "Brother" artists.  There's an introductory section of background/ behind the scenes stuff, but you can skip that material and just watch the concert.  The late John Hartford is great as an emcee/performer.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2003, 05:43 pm »
The Oh Brother is a great one - although I haven't seen the movie!

I also have a CD of all the James Bond theme songs that I found on second spin. Can't remember the details but I will post if anyone is interested when I get home.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2003, 12:58 am »
Mark Knofplers "The Princess Bride" soundtrack is among my very favorites.  I also dig the Fastway soundtrack to "Trick or Treat".

bob82274

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2003, 01:05 am »
Quote from: jqp
The Oh Brother is a great one - although I haven't seen the movie!

You need to see this movie.  Really a funny movie that only the Coen Bros can achieve. And yes the sound track is great.

I also have to give a nod to Pulp Fiction.... Tarentino movies just have great sound tracks

ton1313

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2003, 02:07 am »
All the Pretty Horses soundtrack is Awsome! Great relaxing acoustic music!

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2003, 02:56 am »
Blade Runner  :o

Bram Stoker's Dracula :evil:

Falcon and the Snowman 8)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2003, 04:14 am »
I need to get the soundtrack to Blade Runner - great movie.

Dozer

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2003, 04:59 pm »
My favorite soundtrack happens to be my favorite CD period = The Commitments.    I wish to God they'd get out the DVD video on this thing...  I also wish they'd do a second album.   It's so very very easy on the ears - great music.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2003, 06:56 pm »
Add one vote for the Royal Tenenbaums, and another for The Lion King ;).

cjr888

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2003, 09:51 pm »
Soundtracks and Scores....

As Far as I'm concerned the king of eerie soundtracks is Angelo Badalamenti.  Has done almost all the Lynch Films such as Twin Peaks (one of my favorite soundtracks), Blue Velvet, Muholland Drive, etc.  I love a lot of his cuts off of Lost Highway, though I could do without a lot of the Rammstein stuff.  Was rather interesting when someone translated the german for me.....

Absolute Favorites: Magnolia, Get Shorty (MMW, John Lurie), Royal Tannenbaums, The Graduate, Twin Peaks, Ghost World, 200 Motels (Zappa), Trainspotting, Vanilla Sky, Rushmore, America Beauty.

Not Bad: Donny Darko, Storytelling (Belle and Sebastian), About a Boy (Badly Drawn Boy).

Good for Driving Fast: Run Lola Run

Good for Driving Fast and Having Your Mood Change Every Three Minutes: Trainspotting

Good General Collection of Music: Forest Gump

Good Stuff I Haven't Bought: Cirque Du Soleil - O

Soundtrack That I Love Parts of and Ignore the Rest: Buffalo 66

Soundtrack That I Keep Waiting to Be Available Through Normal Channels: Pumpkin

Soundtrack that as far as I know has never been put out in any format that I really, really wish they had released: Barfly (John Lurie)

Still Waiting for Tom Yorke or Godspeed You Black Emperor to do a soundtrack.

Also, just took a quick look on google and found a great soundtrack-related site: http://www.soundtrack.net/

HarleyMYK

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2003, 01:27 am »
Has anyone picked up "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"

I loved the DVD - just wondering if the CD is any good?

azryan

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2003, 07:14 pm »
IMO,

This subject should be divided into two sections.

Soundtrack used to mean incidental orchestral music by this or that composer (think John William's work), but now-a-days most 'soundtracks' are just complilations of stuff off a specific record label and often the songs are hardly even in the movie.

I think maybe 'The Crow' was the first film to really make that type of soundtrack typical.
Now, sometimes they're cool, and have a lot of good songs (Like The Crow, or say.. the Scrubs TV show cd), but TOTALLY diff. than what a 'soundtrack' should mean IMO.

As for my picks...

Gladiator
Red Violin
Planet of the Apes (recent Danny Elfman version)

lylefan

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2003, 01:36 am »
My two favorite soundtracks are "Dead Man Walking" (if you can find this on vinyl I highly recommend this purchase) and "Pump Up the Volume."

BlackCat

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2003, 03:28 pm »
I generally despise movie soundtracks, and in fact, only own one...  Nine and a half weeks.  Bought it solely for Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On".  If you've seen the movie, that song probably has a sentimental memory for you ;)

TG

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2003, 12:05 pm »
Interesting thread - I can think of lots of soundtracks I really like but if I have to be honest I can only list those I actually have in my collection at this moment.

2001 : a space odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now
The Keep
Obscured by Clouds
Substrata