CD Stores in NY City

KCLam

CD Stores in NY City
« on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:12 am »
 I am in NYC and I would like to visit some CD stores that is within walking distances from Times Square. Some of the stores that I have searched on the web have been "Permanently Closed" which is really unfortunate.
I was fortunate to visit Downtown Music Gallery just about closing and ended buying a Mosaic box set.

Aside from shopping for CD's, I spent an evening at The Village Vanguard- live music cannot be replicated in the listening room. I also managed to visit the B&O store and heard the BeoLab 90 speakers.

Any tips for CD shopping in NYC is very much appreciated. Thank you.

vonnie123

Re: CD Stores in NY City
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:06 am »
'O for the days I could spend hours in Tower flipping through records.  Afraid online amazon and such has taken over that industry.  I'll guess the future will trim that to downloads.  Good luck with your search.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:45 am »
Large record stores in NYC, have gone the way to the dinosaur.  There are couple of book stores with flimsy CD sections, one that I think still will be there is the large Barnes and Noble north of Union Square, 14th street.  It must be on 18th street? 

The large J&R record store and all affiliated stores closed some years back.

CDs as someone else mentioned have migrated to the Internet, the selections in online stores will dwarf anything physically available in NYC. 

With skyrocketing NYC rents, most record shops cannot break even.  There might be some smaller record shops scattered about BUT, their selections will only focus on obscure DJ LPs rather than a comprehensive library as you should expect.   :thumb:

boisty

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2016, 10:46 am »
You can try Academy on 18th btwn 5th and 6th.  Mostly classical.......

Sadly I can't think of any others.  Have fun.

Boisty

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:19 am »
Williamsburg Brooklyn has Rough Cut and a few other shops.  Those are the best places generally. 

KCLam

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm »
Thank you for the info, it is most helpful. it rather unfortunate. I'll try visiting these stores, time permitting, my next stop is San Francisco.

md92468

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:09 pm »
Academy isn't just classical...it used to be, but now it's about half classical and half jazz/rock.

There's also this place, which fewer people seem to know about...closed on Sunday, though. More vinyl than CDs, but a decent collection of the latter:

http://www.jazzrecordcenter.com

There's also a place in the East Village whose name I can't for the life of me remember, but maybe another local on this board can...it's literally packed floor to ceiling CDs and feels like those trap closets in the Warner Brothers cartoons in the 1940s. You need lots of patience in there, though...they're not fans of organization or filing systems...

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:09 pm »

KCLam

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:02 am »
I visited B&N and picked up 3 CD's. At Academy, they had a couple of Jazz box sets but I gave them a pass.
I was at Downtown at Monroe's on Saturday.
Thanks again for the info.

Mod, thanks for moving this post is moved this to the Music Circle forum.