Kirk's ambitious HT3's headed to Atlanta

jsalk

Kirk's ambitious HT3's headed to Atlanta
« on: 10 Aug 2006, 12:47 pm »
When Kirk contacted me, I knew right away he was serious about wanting something really special.  This was our most ambitious HT3 project to date (and, thus, the most expensive).

First, we searched high a low for a spectacular piece of African bubinga.  Kirk wanted it to run the full length of the front baffle.  We found a 2"-thick board for about $400 and had it re-sawn into a book-matched pair.

The boards were more reddish in tone than normal bubinga and didn't quite match the veneer we were using on the rest of the cabinet.  So we ended up shooting a light coat of red aniline dye on the veneer to achieve a perfect match.

Unfortunately, although I certainly tried, I was unable to take pictures that even came close to capturing the beauty of this wood.  Hopefully you can at least get the hint that they are stunning in person:

Here is the top portion close-up:

And some corner detail:

Kirk wanted the woofer mounted in the same plane it would have been mounted had the front baffle occupied only the top of the cabinet (as is normally the case).  This meant mounting it about 1/2" below the surface of the solid bubinga.  So we did a special round-over on the woofer cut-out.  It should work well sonically and looks very nice (IMO):

To give you just a flavor of other custom options used in these pairs, Kirk decided to go with the Sonicap upgrade, DH Labs internal wiring, silver tweeter faceplates and a hand-rubbed finish.

This pair of HT3's is one I will certainly hate to ship.  But they are headed to Atlanta.

Happy listening Kirk!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2006, 01:00 pm by jsalk »

MaxCast

Re: Kirk's ambitious HT3's headed to Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2006, 01:12 pm »
Awesome, truly awesome!

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2006, 02:06 pm »
This is one of the best looking HT3 speakers I have seen  :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2006, 03:46 pm »
that really is a gorgeous pair of speakers.....congratulations to both builder and buyer... :thumb:

randybessinger

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2006, 03:50 pm »
Absolutely stunning. 

Steve Vol

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2006, 04:12 pm »
Very Nice -  :thumb:  Gorgeous work.  Can't wait to see and hear my pair when they are done!

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2006, 08:11 pm »
I love the silver tweeter plate and the inset woofer rather than the extra baffle.  This is a really nice design touch.

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2006, 12:19 am »
Now that is a nice pair of speakers.  Nice idea Kirk, it flows much better than the 'two-toned' HT3. 
An exemplery job Mr. Salk!

MarkR7

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2006, 01:11 am »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2006, 03:03 am »
Well - I took a few snapshots of the speakers, now that they have arrived, are set up and starting to go through the paces of break-in.

I am not certain how to "attach a file" - seems there are a million options on fonts, smiles, etc. yet no where to attach/upload a pic or two ??

When Jim stated that his photos did not do the speakers justice, he was not embellishing!  The photos I took as well can not capture the
absolute amount of fire/depth the wood has, nor the hand rubbed high gloss finish!

If someone cares to explain how to attach a pic, I will be happy to upload a few...

They have a couple of days of  play time on them at this time, and seem to be opening up nicely.  Will keep all posted.

mtodde

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2006, 03:55 am »
Congrats!  They look beautiful!  Are you going to have a listening party for those of us in Atlanta, LOL?

What's the rest of your system?

alotaklipsch

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2006, 05:26 am »
Well - I took a few snapshots of the speakers, now that they have arrived, are set up and starting to go through the paces of break-in.

I am not certain how to "attach a file" - seems there are a million options on fonts, smiles, etc. yet no where to attach/upload a pic or two ??

When Jim stated that his photos did not do the speakers justice, he was not embellishing!  The photos I took as well can not capture the
absolute amount of fire/depth the wood has, nor the hand rubbed high gloss finish!

If someone cares to explain how to attach a pic, I will be happy to upload a few...

They have a couple of days of  play time on them at this time, and seem to be opening up nicely.  Will keep all posted.

Kirk,

Ya been a busy little beaver, call me, I still at home, back to work next week.  CONGRATS, hope your loving the new speaks!!!!!!!!!  I sure hope they sound as good as they look, caused they look unfrikinreal.

Smilin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2006, 10:36 am »
...I sure hope they sound as good as they look, caused they look unfrikinreal.

Smilin

They always do...

:dance: :dance: :dance:

George

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2006, 11:58 am »

See this thread
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30605.msg272160;topicseen#new

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2006, 12:53 pm »
I just love Jim's speakers. I can't wait to see more photos.

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:58 am »
My apologies for the delay in response... thanks for all the comments.

I have been out of state on a business trip all week and am just now catching up on the forums.

I hope to have some time in the next few days to get around to some impressions and photos...

I have had continuous music playing through the HT3's - just haven't sat down with them yet.

Hope to post more soon.

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:23 am »
Well, I was hoping to getting around to posting my info/pictures one evening this week.  As luck would have it, I am heading out of town on business.  I am hoping I will have some time this weekend to sit down and post some photos and impressions.  As of 30 minutes from now, the HT3's will have been playing for exactly 2 weeks now.  They continue to improve with detail, soundstaging, lowered noise floor, and it seems dynamics are starting to become more apparent.  I will look forward to this weekend with them, as they are becoming more refined in presentation.

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 4 Sep 2006, 05:05 am »
Alright - I have finally updated my system thread (for the most part) over on AudioGon.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1081651970&read&3&zzlAudiofankj&&

The system thread has evolved quite a bit over the past few years... and has quite a bit of "audio diary" gabbing...

I plan to post pics & my system here, for now in a nutshell the system consists of:

- Porter Port Duplex Wall outlets ( Five, dedicated 20A lines with cryo treated 10/2 romex)

- Balanced Power Technologies 3.5 Signature Plus - balanced line conditioner (Purist Audio Dominus Fluid rev. C 20A power cord)

- H20 Audio Signature Monoblocks (Purist Audio Dominus Fluid rev. C power cords)

- First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk. II preamp w/ NOS 1960 Amperex PQ "D" getter tubes (Purist Audio Dominus Fluid rev. C power cord)

- Esoteric X-01 Limited cd player (Purist Audio Anniversary AC power cord)

- Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Ace Space Arm w/ Wave Mechanic power generator (TT sits on Neuance isolation platform)

- ZYX Airy 3S-SB cartridge

- Whest Audio PS.20 phono amp (Electraglide Epiphany X power cord)

- Salk Sound HT3's

- Purist Audio Design BiWire Aqueous Anniversary Speaker cable & Aqueous Anniversary interconnects throughout the system

That should wrap it up in a nutshell... more details and some photos over on the system link at A'Gon.

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
Re: Kirk's ambitious HT3's - FOR SALE
« Reply #18 on: 4 Oct 2006, 03:42 am »
Well, it appears likely I will be posting the for sale ad over at AudioGon before the week is out...

This gorgeous pair of speakers is configured as follows:

Deluxe HT3 package: $4,995

Plus the following options:

Solid Bubinga front baffle: $ 400
Millwork Bubinga baffle $ 75
Baffle Work(routing&sanding)$ 300
Sonicap Upgrade $ 600
DH Labs internal wiring $ 300
Blackhole 5 $ 300
Hand Rubbed Lacquer finish $1,200

Total: $ 8,170

These are an absolutely beautiful pair.  They sound as good as they look!  If you are considering a "no holds barred" pair of HT3's without the 4 month build time wait, this is your opportunity.

I am also listing these a bit over 20% off - Will sell for $6,500.00

Unforseen personal circumstances dictate sale.  I will also be listing my Esoteric X-01 Limited SACD later this week as well.  Perhaps, even more gear.

If interested, please email me at:  audiofankj@gmail.com