Audez'e LCD-X and LCD-Xc

ajzepp

Audez'e LCD-X and LCD-Xc
« on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:24 am »
Audez'e just recently announced two new headphones in their lineup...anyone eager to give a listen?

http://www.technologytell.com/hometech/101206/audeze-lcd-x-and-lcd-x/

I just bought some LCD-2s on Monday and am in the process of evaluating them...so far I'm very impressed and having quite a bit of fun. It's nice to finally scratch that planar "itch" that I've had for nearly two years.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Audez'e LCD-X and LCD-Xc
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:58 am »
Nice! Hope they sound as nice as they look! Looking forward to your thoughts on these!!

dreamreaper

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2013, 02:58 am »
WOW I really like the looks of those. Can't wait till they hit the market and we get some reviews rolling in. I would say they have some big shoes to fill, with the popularity of the LCD-2 and 3.

Conrats ajzepp on the LCD-2 score. I have had my eyes on them for a long time now. Still second guessing myself on going with the HE500, but it was cheaper and I "think" at some point I would like to own both. I didn't have anything at the time to really drive a planar headphone so I had to shell out for a amp too. So I opted for the HE500 and a Amp. Congrats again.  :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2013, 04:13 pm »
Audez'e just recently announced two new headphones in their lineup...anyone eager to give a listen?

http://www.technologytell.com/hometech/101206/audeze-lcd-x-and-lcd-x/

I just bought some LCD-2s on Monday and am in the process of evaluating them...so far I'm very impressed and having quite a bit of fun. It's nice to finally scratch that planar "itch" that I've had for nearly two years.

Thanks Ajzepp.  Now I have the biggest itch on my back that I can't reach.  Let us know how they sound with your amps.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2013, 05:01 pm »
I heard the prototypes of both at the SF show in August.  Pretty special!

dreamreaper

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2013, 06:33 pm »
I heard the prototypes of both at the SF show in August.  Pretty special!

Do you have or heard the LCD-2 or LCD-3 and if so how does the sound of the closed version compare to them? I am very interested in the LCD-XC for the simple fact that its closed, but don't really want to loose to much of the open headphone sound. I really liked the way the Denon D5000 sounded, except for the over the top bass for my listening preference.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2013, 07:13 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm really enjoying these...in fact, yesterday I was a bit troubled. I post pretty often on head-fi, and one of the things I discuss regularly is how I really enjoy having multiple headphones as opposed to just one really good one. It can really be done at any price point and with any budget (hell, one of my favorite pair of headphones retails for like $25!), but I find that having several phones I really enjoy keeps things really fresh. It also takes the pressure off of having to make that big decision of focusing on just ONE headphone that is right for me.

Anyway, from my first pair of Grados all the way up to the T1s, each time I've added something new it's just been able to take its place among the group and I work it into the rotation. One phone I'll use mainly for surfing the web, another I'll use for movies, etc, etc. Well, when I received the LCDs on Monday, I wore them for at least four hours a day up through Wednesday and into Thursday. On Thursday I took my favorite portables - my Beyer 1350s - to my doc appt to keep me occupied in the waiting room. Well, something very strange happened....while they sounded good, they didn't sound quite like they usually had. There was all of a sudden a slight veil and the music wasn't as "present" as I remembered. I came home and put my Grados on and the same thing happened. So even though I really didn't think my experience with speakers would repeat itself with headphones, I'm fearful that it actually has.

I still remember the very first minute I heard the Magnepan MMGs. And little did I know at the time, enjoying those amazing speakers over the next two years would COMPLETELY ruin me for all other box speakers. In the nine years that have passed since I first heard Maggies, there have been exactly TWO box speakers that I liked...and that's after listening to probably at least 40+ different models. Anyway, I think planar headphones are now doing the same thing...my ears just seem to have a real affinity for planar transducers! Now that I've gotten a really nice taste of planar headphones, I'm not sure I'll be able to FULLY enjoy my other phones in the same way I have been. I'm not making any rash decisions to sell everything else, or even put them on the back burner, it's just something that really stood out to me yesterday.

So this is sort of bittersweet for me...I love that I'm connecting with these beautiful headphones this much, but it's sort of forcing me to turn into a "one headphone guy" as opposed to having a headphone harem. I may have to buy a hifiman and fostex phone just so I can have my rotation back!  :duh:

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2013, 07:21 pm »

Conrats ajzepp on the LCD-2 score. I have had my eyes on them for a long time now. Still second guessing myself on going with the HE500, but it was cheaper and I "think" at some point I would like to own both. I didn't have anything at the time to really drive a planar headphone so I had to shell out for a amp too. So I opted for the HE500 and a Amp. Congrats again.  :thumb:

There are quite a few people on head-fi who consider the HE500s not only the best of the hifiman line, but also just as good or even better than the LCD-2s. I'm planning to pick up a pair, as well, so I can compare them...but based on what others have said, you may actually find that you made the right choice. Since this is my first planar phone, I cant really speak to any comparisons, but hopefully that'll change over the next couple months...I"d like to see how these Audeze's stack up against other planar competition.

dreamreaper

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2013, 08:47 pm »
Sounds like you have open quite the can of worms ajzepp. I guess on the brighter side maybe you have found your signature and now might have limited your choices but it's less stuff to buy.  :green:

I am relatively new to audiophile quality headphones. Only been at it about 2 years and blindly fell into it. So please don't mind my asking or questioning but are Fostex really Planars? I was always under the impression they were Dynamic drivers.   :dunno:

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:09 pm »
Sounds like you have open quite the can of worms ajzepp. I guess on the brighter side maybe you have found your signature and now might have limited your choices but it's less stuff to buy.  :green:

I am relatively new to audiophile quality headphones. Only been at it about 2 years and blindly fell into it. So please don't mind my asking or questioning but are Fostex really Planars? I was always under the impression they were Dynamic drivers.   :dunno:

Yeah, I should have qualified the Fostex thing...they make a planar phone that a guy named Mr Speakers mods into some very well regarded headphones called "Mad Dogs". They have quite a following on head-fi, and I think he just came out with a new model called the Alpha Dogs.

EDIT: Brother Love started a thread on them here if you want more info: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118946.0

dreamreaper

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I thought (was hoping) that maybe Fostex was a Planar and I had just been over looking thinking it was a Dynamic.

Those MadDogs/AlphaDogs seem like real nice headphones and I am sure they are. I am just not sure I really want something thats modded like that. Who knows maybe with given time I will give them a try. For right now I have my eyes on the Audez'e line. Just trying to hold out for the new ones to get some reviews before I make the decision.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I thought (was hoping) that maybe Fostex was a Planar and I had just been over looking thinking it was a Dynamic.

Those MadDogs/AlphaDogs seem like real nice headphones and I am sure they are. I am just not sure I really want something thats modded like that. Who knows maybe with given time I will give them a try. For right now I have my eyes on the Audez'e line. Just trying to hold out for the new ones to get some reviews before I make the decision.

I definitely understand where you're coming from...I don't know how I feel about them either.

Supposedly Sennheiser is working on a new electrostat phone, so that should be interesting.

dreamreaper

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:20 pm »
Good news for Sennheiser. I am not sure I want to jump into stats. Its a long story why and that could/would get expensive and out of control.   :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:54 pm »
I'm listening to the new Civil Wars album...holy crap lol

dreamreaper

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm »
I'm listening to the new Civil Wars album...holy crap lol

They must do well with female vocals.  :lol:

.......and "new" album? Did I miss something, I thought they broke up?

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:03 am »

So did I lol

milford3

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:41 am »
The T1's still sound dam good!!

FireGuy

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:55 am »
The T1's still sound dam good!!

I'll confirm that in a heart beat.  BTW,  Udac2 up and running with the Valhalla again.  Damn Windows upgrade.  Can't believe how much I missed that Amp and the 880's over the past two days.  Now...on with Tarja and Sharon.

tubesguy2

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2013, 03:46 pm »

The new album is by a tribute band, "The Civil Wars Re-enactors"   :wink:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2013, 11:10 am »
A sealed ES phones!!  :scratch: