Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #80 on: 31 Dec 2015, 09:50 pm »
Now this is getting exciting. Thank you James.

Dpaulyn

« Reply #81 on: 31 Dec 2015, 09:51 pm »
Thanks for your response, James, but . . . Aahhh - must admit that I still feel bruised about this. After agonizing for a year about getting the latest and the greatest 4B out there, finally got my hard earned after tax money together, pulled the trigger, and bought the latest and the greatest 4BSST2 this month. Three weeks later it's no longer the latest and the greatest. I suppose my timing couldn't have been worse . . . had I known . . . I believe my dealer has no interest in taking it back at this point, (three weeks ago it was sold to me as the 'current' model SST). Not really blaming the dealer, but any consideration in terms of a full upgrade to a 4BSSTcubed would certainly go a long way to maintaining my respect for Bryston products.

Anyways . . . Happy new year to all (from a somewhat disappointed new Bryston owner with a first world kind of problem).

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #82 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:14 pm »
Sadly they have to cut it off somewhere. I'm happy they are offering and working out upgrades. My 28's aren't much older, but grateful they have not given an outright NO on upgrades.

That to me makes me more proud to be a Bryston fan and owner.

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #83 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm »

Not sure but I will ask the engineer.

james

Thank you.

Here is another question for you.  Not to be completely pedantic, but what is the official name of the new amp series?  Is it Cubed as you have been referring to it or SST3 as some of the other posters have been writing?  My theory is that it is Cube without SST, because the front panel is labeled as 4B^3 (and because that is how you have been referring to it).

Thank you

Dpaulyn

« Reply #84 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:37 pm »
Hey, tdinut. Yes, I too am hoping for favourable upgrade options. We'll just have to stay tuned.

drummermitchell

« Reply #85 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm »
Good stuff James,
Perhaps my older 28's can get evolutionized,
the 7's,we'll see if this upgrade will manifest and of course the price.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #86 on: 31 Dec 2015, 11:39 pm »
Thank you.

Here is another question for you.  Not to be completely pedantic, but what is the official name of the new amp series?  Is it Cubed as you have been referring to it or SST3 as some of the other posters have been writing?  My theory is that it is Cube without SST, because the front panel is labeled as 4B^3 (and because that is how you have been referring to it).

Thank you

It will be called the Bryston Cubed Series with Model number 4B (small 3 in upper corner) like in the pictures.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 31 Dec 2015, 11:43 pm »
Thanks for your response, James, but . . . Aahhh - must admit that I still feel bruised about this. After agonizing for a year about getting the latest and the greatest 4B out there, finally got my hard earned after tax money together, pulled the trigger, and bought the latest and the greatest 4BSST2 this month. Three weeks later it's no longer the latest and the greatest. I suppose my timing couldn't have been worse . . . had I known . . . I believe my dealer has no interest in taking it back at this point, (three weeks ago it was sold to me as the 'current' model SST). Not really blaming the dealer, but any consideration in terms of a full upgrade to a 4BSSTcubed would certainly go a long way to maintaining my respect for Bryston products.

Anyways . . . Happy new year to all (from a somewhat disappointed new Bryston owner with a first world kind of problem).

Hi

Yes I always feel badly when this happens but no matter when you announce some number of customers have just purchased and not announcing means you are holding back on introducing a better product.

james

techguy0192

« Reply #88 on: 31 Dec 2015, 11:45 pm »
Hi Rod

It would still have the original warranty.

Only the SST2 can be upgraded.

james

I was actually going to ask the same question about warranty. 

Any idea what the cost might be for the upgrade?  I've only had my 3B SST^2 just over a year.

If the majority of the amp is gutted in the process, it becomes more or less a new product, it would be awesome if the warranty was reactivated for another 20 years.

How will upgraded units be marked as previously SST^2 amps?  Will they simply receive a new rear badge?  It has been my experience that upgraded hifi products, for whatever reason, typically don't hold the value or the interest of a buyer when compared to a non-upgraded unit.

Thanks for even considering an upgrade path....that sets Bryston apart from most every other company. 8)

Phil A

« Reply #89 on: 31 Dec 2015, 11:52 pm »
It's true with any brand. There are always new models. I usually follow announcements made at shows like CES where it is common for new models to get introduced. Digital and video usually change to a much greater degree. I wouldn't  sweat buying a quality amp with a 20 year warranty

bjski

« Reply #90 on: 1 Jan 2016, 01:50 am »
When can we upgrade? My 7's are ready to go I can live with my 9.

Rod_S

« Reply #91 on: 1 Jan 2016, 02:33 am »
Hi Rod

It would still have the original warranty.

Only the SST2 can be upgraded.

james

Thanks again

So I a typical upgrade would gut the internals and nothing else but I guess it's possible in this instance as you mentioned inputs/outputs may not be exactly in the same place as the SST2's so that may also mean a new back plate would have to be added to the upgraded units also. If that turned out to be the case what would be left of the original SST2's?? Just the heat sinks and chassis shell, IEC, binding posts, power switch, triggers, RCA/XLR inputs and gain switch. Since you mentioned one may be able to opt for the upgraded faceplate as well that wouldn't be carried over if the customer choose. If all but these components are replaced during the upgrade what would it be about these existing parts that would be high enough risk to the company to not reset the warranty back to 20 years? Just curious?

yioryos

« Reply #92 on: 1 Jan 2016, 04:22 am »

"Οι νέοι τελικοί έχουν εξελιγμένη σχεδίαση για υπεργραμμικότητα"

i can translate for you the quote above

"the new power amps have very advanced design for super linearity"

cheers... :green:

Hi G
Your translation is 90% there but I got two corrections
#1."power amp" in Greek to be exact is "ενισχυτης ισχυος" in fact when I was a teenager that's what it was called. On the other hand , back then "τελικος" was reserved mostly for integrated amps.
#2. " εξελιγμενη" in English "advanced" but adding the word "very-advanced"" should  of read as follows "πολυ-εξελιγμενη".

All the best
George

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #93 on: 1 Jan 2016, 05:40 am »
I've gotta imagine stuff like the toroidal transformers aren't being changed.

I feel/understand wishing I'd held off for the latest and greatest. However, by offering an upgrade path, I'm very satisfied. I feel that's the best option possible. Bryston can release new products as they see fit without impacting sales of current lines. And those who've "just bought" the prior version have the option of upgrading. Win/win in my book!

- Garrett

drummermitchell

« Reply #94 on: 1 Jan 2016, 08:09 am »
I'm thinking,I hope I'm wrong,
if it is possible to upgrade the SST's,seems like everything would be removed except the outer case............
sorry to many Kokanees this evenin.
If it's close it will be a few 1000 to upgrade,I HOPE I"M WAY OUT.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 1 Jan 2016, 12:59 pm »
Hi Folks

It is an extensive upgrade - The backboard and all the attached parts have to be completely replaced and a few internal parts and of course the faceplate and handles and some front panel electronics. Also a new soft-start circuit is used and new idle current section.

The chassis and transformers we can keep so there are some savings there.

It will be a couple of months though before we will be able to offer the upgrades as there are few technical and mechanical issues to work out. We will have to assign a different SN to the upgrades - with the SP2 upgrades we just added an 'X' after the serial number.  You want to make sure there is no confusion in the market between an upgrade and a new Cubed unit.  One option might be to offer all the internal changes for the upgrades but not the front panel changes which which eliminate any doubt?

james

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jan 2016, 01:25 pm »
One option might be to offer all the internal changes for the upgrades but not the front panel changes which which eliminate any doubt?

If you go with this as the only option, or if keeping the original plate is chosen by the owner, would you replace the power button to one with a Cubed label?  For example, replace the 4BSST2 button with one that shows 4B3.

Thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 1 Jan 2016, 02:00 pm »
If you go with this as the only option, or if keeping the original plate is chosen by the owner, would you replace the power button to one with a Cubed label?  For example, replace the 4BSST2 button with one that shows 4B3.

Thank you

That might be a good idea as well

james

Rod_S

« Reply #98 on: 1 Jan 2016, 02:12 pm »
I've gotta imagine stuff like the toroidal transformers aren't being changed.

I feel/understand wishing I'd held off for the latest and greatest. However, by offering an upgrade path, I'm very satisfied. I feel that's the best option possible. Bryston can release new products as they see fit without impacting sales of current lines. And those who've "just bought" the prior version have the option of upgrading. Win/win in my book!

- Garrett

D'Oh... I forgot about the transformer, it's only the biggest heaviest part of the amp :D I also forgot about the balanced/unbalanced switch on the back

Rod_S

« Reply #99 on: 1 Jan 2016, 02:15 pm »
In your experience thus far James do they run more or less at the same temperature as their SST2 counterparts? Will they still employ the first few % of watts in Class A then switch over to AB?