*Netflix Alert* Don Jon

ajzepp

*Netflix Alert* Don Jon
« on: 24 Apr 2014, 10:17 pm »
Just a head's up that one of my favorite movies of the last year just hit Netflix streaming. JG-L has become one of my favorite actors - maybe even my favorite now that Phillip Seymour-Hoffman has passed - and he really impresses in this one. I can't wait to see this one again...just be forewarned, it's more of a guy's film  :thumb:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuPXDuqicmo

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: *Netflix Alert* Don Jon
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:50 am »
I saw it in the theater and loved it!  As much as I like JGL as an actor, if he did nothing but direct and never starred in another film we'd still be lucky.  This one is a must-buy for me on Blu-ray. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2014, 05:27 am »
I saw it in the theater and loved it!  As much as I like JGL as an actor, if he did nothing but direct and never starred in another film we'd still be lucky.  This one is a must-buy for me on Blu-ray. :thumb:

I agree...he's far more talented than I think most people give him credit for. I really can't wait to see this again, and I very rarely re-watch films.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:57 am »
Did  guys see him in Looper? I thought that movie was a kick ass si-fi!!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2014, 07:30 pm »
Yeah, Looper was great! :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm »
I agree, I thought Looper was really good

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:26 am »
I also liked Looper, and JGL in general is pretty good. But ultimately I found Don Jon to be too contrived as a morality play to be respectable. 20 something successful hustler gives up on Scarlett Johansson because she's too egotistical to be with mid 50's Julianne Moore. Puleeeze.....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:22 am »
I also liked Looper, and JGL in general is pretty good. But ultimately I found Don Jon to be too contrived as a morality play to be respectable. 20 something successful hustler gives up on Scarlett Johansson because she's too egotistical to be with mid 50's Julianne Moore. Puleeeze.....

Respectfully, you must not have been watching the movie very closely.  He got dumped by SJ and eventually hooked up with Moore.  He eventually came to see her as shallow and didn't really want to win her back after awhile, but it was a process.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2014, 02:52 pm »
I get the message, but I guess I just felt that realistically the JGL character as drawn would have had to pogo on more on himself and the loose ladies before he reached the conclusion he did. Perhaps we are supposed to believe he is ultimately more of a romantic and mature than I would assume.

Lastly I guess I felt mislead by the marketing, which promised an independent movie with wild irresponsible entertainment and ended up following the usual accepted Hollywood conventional path with the mild twist of the age differences of the protagonists, which was played down somewhat. I.e. It didn't ultimately end up being the fun comedy it was billed as. I guess that to me was the biggest disappointment.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:44 pm »
I watched.  I moved on.  It was not that good in my estimation.

Looper was way better.

But hey, that's why so many movies are made, there are lots of great things out there that appeal to different markets.

Chazro

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2014, 07:24 pm »
Watched it last night.  Thought it was just ok.  I saw a trailer when it was originally released and expected better.  I enjoy JGL's work in general.  I really liked 'Premium Rush' a lot more than this one, anybody else seen it?  It's another NY-centric flick but it does so effortlessly, whereas Don Jon feels forced at times.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2014, 04:31 am »
I liked Premium Rush but I feel it was one of his weaker movies.  The plot was pretty silly and nearly all the characters were one dimensional cliches, especially the guy that was his "rival" for the affections of the female lead.  Plus as much as I like Michael Shannon his character was too over the top even for a live action cartoon like PR.  A good rental but sadly I bought it instead.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2014, 09:55 am »
I get the message, but I guess I just felt that realistically the JGL character as drawn would have had to pogo on more on himself and the loose ladies before he reached the conclusion he did. Perhaps we are supposed to believe he is ultimately more of a romantic and mature than I would assume.

Lastly I guess I felt mislead by the marketing, which promised an independent movie with wild irresponsible entertainment and ended up following the usual accepted Hollywood conventional path with the mild twist of the age differences of the protagonists, which was played down somewhat. I.e. It didn't ultimately end up being the fun comedy it was billed as. I guess that to me was the biggest disappointment.

I'm really having a hard time getting my brain around your criticisms..it sounds like you watched a completely different movie, or maybe doing something else while you had it on in the background?

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2014, 09:56 am »
I've had Premium Rush sitting here on bluray for a while now...I always keep bumping it back in line...gotta finally get around to watching it.