Modded Panny and the Alpha LS

OBF

« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2004, 11:39 pm »
Quote from: thuway
Ryan/Danny, what do you guys think of the CD-p choice I put right there?

I think Ryan already explained this in an earlier post, but if you plan to use the Panasonic receiver, all you need is a decent transport as the receiver sounds best with a digital input.  If you want a nice CD front end, then you should use a traditional pre/amp setup since the Panasonic is rumored to not sound as good with analog inputs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 26 May 2004, 02:29 am »
Yep, he's right.

With the Panny all you'll need is a transport with a digital out.

goskers

transport
« Reply #62 on: 28 May 2004, 03:57 am »
As for transport, I am going to use a Pioneer 563 modded by Alex at APL.  He does some great work and for 450 (player included) it should be pretty good as a transport.

I as well will be building the alpha's, will be powered by the modded pannie 45, and the pioneer 563 as a source.  Oh yeah, I am also a college student.  Small world, sick hobby.

Ryan: How many bybee's did you have to put into that 45 anyways?

thuway

« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2004, 11:41 am »
I hear APL does some AMAZING jobs, and I also wonder how that Pioneer tacks up to that Philips SACD..... oh being an Audiophile on a budget.

Oh and I'm a bit confused, since its a DVD player, I'm hoping it plays in 5.1 right?? Because apparently the Philips SACD does a HORRIBLE job in SACD form.

wshuff

« Reply #64 on: 28 May 2004, 01:07 pm »
If a DVD has a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS track then the Pioneer will send that via the digital out to the Pannie, and the Pannie will decode it.  But neither DVD-A nor SACD can be output digitally by the Pioneer, so if you are wanting to listen to a hi-rez disc, you'll have to use the analog outs from the Pioneer into the 5.1 analog inputs of the Pannie, which I assume it has.

Danny Richie

Pioneer 563A
« Reply #65 on: 28 May 2004, 02:40 pm »
I've got a Pioneer 563. I wonder what he charges for the mods if you send him the unit?

goskers

« Reply #66 on: 28 May 2004, 05:08 pm »
hi Danny,

He wants 450 for the transport mod with player included.  I would assume it would be around 300 if you already own the player.

Does someone know if the 563 will send audio out via digital when dvd movies are played?

Would the hdmi setup send sacd and dvd-a via digital with the new pannie players and xr70?

Thanks

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: transport
« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2004, 05:20 am »
Quote from: goskers
As for transport, I am going to use a Pioneer 563 modded by Alex at APL.  He does some great work and for 450 (player included) it should be pretty good as a transport.

I as well will be building the alpha's, will be powered by the modded pannie 45, and the pioneer 563 as a source.  Oh yeah, I am also a college student.  Small world, sick hobby.

Ryan: How many bybee's did you have to put into that 45 anyways?

I believe the mod calls for about three main bybees but could have a couple more:

One for the coax digital input

one for each of the positive poles on the main speakers

and maybe one on the power cable coming in but I dont' think that one is there really.

So maybe there are three bybee's total.

thuway

« Reply #68 on: 29 May 2004, 06:00 pm »
I'm getting a bit more off topic, but Danny I read one of your posts where you said you were working on a taller Alpha or an Alpha using the Neo 10 that would be cheaper? And also you mentioned making a smaller Alpha? I wondered how that was coming along....