2 or 3 subs per side?

driguy

2 or 3 subs per side?
« on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:36 am »
Question for Danny. I have a very large room (~22' x 28' x 11') with large openings to other parts of the house. I am assuming that I should use 3 of the SW-16FR units per side with a A370 PEQ amp per side. Is this correct or can I get away with using 2 per side? I do not use the system for home theater at all. I currently cross over my enclosed subs (15" per side) at about 90Hz to a pair of open baffle panels. Since I am a fan of open baffles I guess that I just have to bite the bullet and find out how the servo driven open baffle subs will sound. I am not dis-satisfied at this point in time with the bass but then again, I was not dis-satisfied with my system a year ago and I just keep modifying stuff anyway. The current 15's roll off rapidly at about 28 Hz and although not much music is there it would seem that a setup that goes deeper and with less trailing off would sound better overall even before taking into account the open baffle aspect.
The baffles roll off naturally at about 90 Hz so there is no crossover between them and the amps.
Second question, if I do order 3 per side should I still get the extra harness option for the amps?
Third question, how would I wire up the 3 units? Would one be out of phase and in parallel?
Fourth question, I noticed in one of your posts that you wrote that due to the size of the motor that the 12-16FR units cannot be set at a 45 degree angle. Is this correct or did I misread?
Fifth question, should I make the H-Baffle wider than the speakers (about 2" per side) and apply acoustical treatment to the sides or just make it fit and do no acoustical treatment to the baffle sides at all?
Sorry to be a pest with all the questions. I am sure that some have been answered but either I could not find them or the answers were not quite in the same context that I need.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Tony