Double 8" OB

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Double 8" OB
« on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:35 am »
Anyone feel free to answer this....I know there's a triple 8", a double 12", a triple 12", and a six x 12" OB sub, but is there a double 8" OB sub out there?

A triple 8" won't really fit in my upcoming home office in Taiwan, so I thought about a double 8".  Until just this minute, I had planned to order a Rythmik F8 sealed double 8" sub, but it sure would be cool to have it as OB instead. (One is okay, right?)

That room is approximately 8.5 x 9.5 x 9' tall.

Thanks,

Michael

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Double 8" OB
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:45 am »
Michael,

Yes, the HX300 amp can handle two 8" drivers. However, when I asked Danny about it he said you really needed three of the 8" drivers to match the sensitivity and keep up with the Wedges.

It might not be perfect but I would think you could get away with two drivers while you were in Taiwan then build new cabinets and add the third driver when you got back.

After all, I listened to my Wedges with one X-Sub (single 8" non-servo driver) for six months until I saved up enough to build my triple 8" H-Frames. Definitely not the best match in the world but at least I had some bass in the meantime.

Mike

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:51 am »
Of course, the main issue is the sensitivity loss in an open baffle arrangement.  I suspect that you could temporarily build sealed enclosures and get the output up enough to match.  Although not optimal, a ported version might even give you another dB or so.  You could then upgrade to OB at a later date. 
Danny? what do you think?

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:59 am »
Micheal,
when I was about to build my  12's,  I spoke to  a guy who has dual OB 8's ( 2 per  H-frame).  He  really  thought if I were only starting out with  1 H-frame in a dual driver config,  it would be   wise to go with 12's. 
I don't know what speakers you are  going to  to use these with, but as  mentioned,  sensitivity is going to play a role here.

It wasn't clear from your post, but if you are only  planning on doing  a single  H-frame for now,  a dual 8 probably isn't going to  provide a whole lot of  output,.  If you are planning on 2 dual H-frames,   the fellow I spoke to was  very happy with his   (2  dual 8" H-frames).  I could probably dig through my PMN[s and find out who it was for you if you like.

I'll add a bit more ,   remember,  that  even though  you may still be able to reach  your desired SPL levels, you will be signifigantly increasing the workload of  each  driver by using less drivers,  especailly if you are only  thining of doing 1  H-frame to start with.   Going with all the extra drivers is not so much  about   the extra SPL, more about decreasing the  work  each driver is doing to reach a given SPL  and thereby  increasing the quality of the output.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:23 pm »
Two of the 8's will be fine for matching the output level of a mini-monitor.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:44 pm »
2 8's are better than zero 12's.  I know Michael is constrained by aesthetic/WAF issues, so dual 8's are going to be better than not having a bass module at all.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:12 pm »
2 8's are better than zero 12's.  I know Michael is constrained by aesthetic/WAF issues, so dual 8's are going to be better than not having a bass module at all.

Plus the two drivers and amp can be used later on in a different cabinet thereby reducing the cost when able to move up to triple 8" modules

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:19 pm »

:lol:

Good news, Tyson. I've actually overcome my wife's WAF using extreme patience and lots of granting of wishes to my darling wife. I'm now moving my main system into our living room where it belongs IMHO. Dual 12s or triple 8s will fit there quite happily.

My interest in the double 8/Rythmik F8 is for my space in Taiwan. The great limitation there is my home office there is approximately 8.5' x 9.5' with a desk, and two Ikea-like cabinets for books and other stuff. There is a single bed in there for the occasional extra overflow guest. [I've wistfully considered burning that bed....] Even without the bed, it's a small space. The F12 that I have at home in OR is just too big for the office in Taiwan. Danny's Dual 8 or the F8 fits better due to its narrower footprint.

If Danny says it'll work, by the GODS, I will have one! [I'm terrified of the shipping charges though.]

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:54 pm »
Having shipped stuff from Taiwan myself, there are really only 2 options.

Air is brutally expensive.

Sea is brutally slow.

Where in Taiwan will you guys be?  Taipei?  What area?  I lived near the National University for a while, then further out by where Roosevelt Road turns into Hwy 9 for a period of time etc.  Been almost 20 years since I was there, but thinking back to all the early Sunday AM motorcycle riding we did, I can still picture some of those corners up the big hill out of Taipei city.

You should try to get an ear on some of the local speakers there, Usher for one is in Taipei and their showroom includes their excellent SS amps too.

Have fun with the OB speakers there, those designs seem very well thought out, and I see so many excellent builds.

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2015, 10:47 pm »
Hi!

Brutally slow is fine by me. I won't be there until mid-September anyway. We used to live in Neihu (so many years ago!), but now we live in Taoyuan (pretty near the IKEA). The toughest part about our location is the lack of wide open green spaces.

I spent 17 years in the Taipei area. For a couple years I was on Roosevelt Rd Section 6 in Jingmei. That was before all the elevated roads were built, so traffic could be really bad during rush hour.

Yeah, zipping round roads on a scooter was a blast - not the least bit dangerous... :o I prefer driving a car now that I know I'm mortal.

I have been to Usher's showroom. The mini-Dancers and the Dancers (there's actually a number for the models now) are dirt cheap if you take delivery there. They are on my list of possible speaker choices. I wouldn't need to ship them. Prices there are 2/5 the price in the US. Yeah....it's very much worth considering. I've already got another amp ready to ship to Taiwan before we leave.

AKLegal

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2015, 11:21 pm »
I ran a pair of dual ob 8" subs as the bottom end for the Danny's V2 speakers for more than a year.  I used the A370 amps for most of that time and then later switched to the HX300 amps.  I didn't notice a difference between the two amps.