scooter

Alpha Center Concept
« Reply #40 on: 6 Mar 2004, 06:29 am »
Another try using the facets concept:

Alpha Fascination – Multi Faceted Center Channel

azryan

Alpha Center Concept
« Reply #41 on: 6 Mar 2004, 03:57 pm »
'Alpha Centurion' beats all these names IMO in how it says so much in such a clear simple way....

1) It hints at the word 'center'.

2) 'centurion' makes you think of a strong soldier at a gate (or your display) ready for action -and all the Alphas look that part.

3) Alpha -Greek. Centurion -Roman.

4) Having a center speaker meant mostly for DVD's that also makes you think of one of the coolest action epic films in recent history....

Wshuff nailed it. It's the clear winner IMO.

jonwb wrote,

"-Actually I think "Centurion" sounds a little Gladiator-ish. Leave it to a bunch of guys to come up with a name like "Alpha Centurion"

Well at first I thought the name 'Delicate Alpha Rose Petal' sounded nice and pretty, but then I came to my senses. hehe

It IS a large, tough, powerful speaker.

I think you gotta give credit also to the ONE guy who came up w/ the name. It wasn't a 'bunch' of us.

Andrikos

Alpha Center Concept
« Reply #42 on: 6 Mar 2004, 06:22 pm »
Alpha Centurion is clearly a stroke of genius!

Azryan, will you publish your design concept so we can, ahem, copy it? :)

jonwb

Alpha Center Concept
« Reply #43 on: 6 Mar 2004, 10:48 pm »
Quote from: azryan

Well at first I thought the name 'Delicate Alpha Rose Petal' sounded nice and pretty...

Now, that was funny Ryan  :lol:

Alpha Centurion... works for me... I just think its a little macho sounding.  But, hey, this is primarily a guy habit anyway huh?  Kinda reminds me of the line in Shrek when Shrek and Donkey are approaching "Farkwads" castle (which looks quite phallic) and Shrek says to Donkey, "...do you think he's compensating for something?"

Anyway did you send your box off to Danny yet?  I was wondering how you (& Danny) are going to handle the crossover design on a sealed box.  Are you going to put the terminal cups on the back and have Danny do the crossover externally...send you the bits/layout...then stuff it all in your box when you get it back?  Also, how deep did it end up being (total depth).  I too found when I "fine tuned" my box design that ended up being a really shallow box (which was a good thing).

Andrikos... looks like you have enough of a speaker project on your hands already  :o

azryan

Alpha Center Concept
« Reply #44 on: 7 Mar 2004, 03:19 pm »
jonwb,

"-Alpha Centurion... works for me... I just think its a little macho sounding.-"

Speakers like this demand it I think. heh

"-But, hey, this is primarily a guy habit anyway huh?-"

Think about it... have you ever seen a woman post on A.C. ever? I haven't (that I knew of). Even to say 'primarily' is overly P.C. IMO.
Like sayin' members in the Boy Scouts are primarily boys. hehe

It's 15.5" deep (on the outside). It's 5.75" deep at the ends though 'cuz of the 10 degree sections.

I wanted to be SURE there was enough space behind the end woofers to not have a problem.

We'll see if Danny says if I didn't need that much space on the ends -which could make the actual depth for someone else doing this a half inch, maybe up to 2" shallower across the whole length.

It's 12.25" tall (like the Alphas tipped on their side), and 42" wide.

I hadn't worked on the cabinet last week 'cuz it was cold and rainy here, but it's almost done.

I mostly just have to paint it and ship it out.

I have a biwire terminal cup on the back ready for Danny to solder the x-over to. He'll be better at explaining what he's going to do when he gets the cabinet -if he's got time to post all those detail.

azryan

Alpha Center Concept
« Reply #45 on: 7 Mar 2004, 03:20 pm »
Andrikos...I'll PM you.