Modifying Existing Sub Enclosures for SW-12B

Abby356

Modifying Existing Sub Enclosures for SW-12B
« on: 22 Nov 2008, 04:12 pm »

First time sub builder needs some help/suggestions from you folks.
I am in the process of restoring a vintage Jensen stereo cabinet that has 2 built in "sub" enclosures in the bottom of the cabinet, originally housing two 1960's Jensen P12NF's. Since i am trying a multi-sub approach I thought i should replace the P12Ns with more of a true bass driver. I am working with cabinet dimensions of 25"x14"x13" w/ a 2" port opening and can obviously make them a bit smaller by increasing the cabinet's interior walls if necessary (Am leaning towards lining the interior of each cab with 5/8" mdf to stiffen the enclosures anyway) and will also increase the port opening. The cabinet is 5" off the floor and the drivers will be down firing. Currently I am looking at some 8ohm replacements that seem well suited to a 2.6cubic ft vented enclosure and the SW-12B seems like a perfect candidate. Can anyone offer helpful suggestions as to the ideal volume and port size ? How to dampen the box ? Anything I'm forgetting ?
Not looking to rattle the windows just clean bass for stereo music and occasional movie watching.

Regards, Daniel.

Abby356

Re: Modifying Existing Sub Enclosures for SW-12B
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:15 pm »
Anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller...

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:39 pm »
Your options are that you could use a pair of the SW-12B's and port the box. The down side is that each woofer will need a port that is 5" in diameter and 46" long to properly tune the 2.6 cubic feet of air space per woofer.

Or you could add a pair of the PR-12A's to the vertical sides instead of using the ports.

Or you could seal the boxes and line them with an additional layer of MDF and braces and uses a pair of our SW-12-08 direct servo control subs. This would be the ultimate in performance of any other considerations.

Abby356

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2008, 03:02 am »
Thanks Danny, I was hoping you would chime in. How about if i sealed the boxes for the sw12-b ? How much volume would i be looking for ? The servo based subs sure are tempting. Just trying to keep it simple and not break the bank .

Sw12-b versus sw12 -08 ? Opinions anyone ?
Ideal volume for the servo based sw12-08 ?

Regards, Daniel

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2008, 03:36 am »
How about if i sealed the boxes for the sw12-b ? How much volume would i be looking for ?

1.2 to 1.4 cubic feet per woofer.

Sw12-b versus sw12 -08 ? Opinions anyone ?

The SW-12B's are a great value at the current sale price but are no where near the performance of the servo controlled subs.

Ideal volume for the servo based sw12-08 ?

1.5 to 1.8 cubic feet each.