3 deg tilt back on OB7s

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
3 deg tilt back on OB7s
« on: 9 Feb 2008, 05:45 pm »
Hi Daygloworange,

Can you explain why you tilt the front baffles back by 3 deg?
And thanks very much for all the photos, it really helps all of us who have yet to start on our speaker building project.

Danny, what is your thought on tilting back the speakers.

Thanks

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: 3 deg tilt back on OB7s
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2008, 06:47 pm »
The floor in my listening room sags by about 3 degrees, so it was either jack up the house, or tilt the speaker back 3 degrees. I chose to tilt the speaker back.

Jess kiddin'.... :lol:

It was done for aesthetic reasons. Although subtle, when you have the speakers pulled out into the room and toed in, the 3 degree tilt back does quite a bit to the look of the visual. It makes them look a little more animated, rather than just sitting there in an adroit fashion. I've always liked the look of speakers that employ a tiltback for acoustic aligment of driver centers, so when I built the prototype enclosure for Danny to test the new M-130X woofers as a substitute for the M-130's in the OB 7, I tilted it back 3 degrees to see what the responses would look like.

I tilted it (the speaker, not the baffle) back by angling the bottom, and angled the top slightly till I thought it looked right. The amount of volume removed from the enclosure is negligible, and could easily be compensated for by adding a small amount of depth. After consulting with Danny, I just left the depth as is.

There were no detrimental effects to tilting the speaker back that amount. As a matter of fact, I think Danny said it was even a touch smoother in the frequency response on axis with the tweeter, due to the nice vertical off axis response of the Neo3 tweeter.

You can see measurements of the testing here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41724.10

Cheers
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 12:18 am by Daygloworange »

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
Re: 3 deg tilt back on OB7s
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2008, 07:18 pm »
Hey, thanks,
I agree, I think the tilt-back angle looks great! In fact I think the job you've done with the OB5s and OB7s is incredible. javascript:void(0);
Thumbs up
I was just concerned about how it might affect the sound from the listening position.

Carlos