7-watt 300b amp sufficient to drive Paradox 3's?

Adamay

7-watt 300b amp sufficient to drive Paradox 3's?
« on: 4 Jan 2008, 05:20 pm »
Hi Danny. I'm thinking about getting above amp (a custom project, and so can't audition), but am not sure it would be enough to drive my Paradox 3's, especially with a satisfying bass response.  As I recall, the Paradox 3's impedance curve dips to 6.5 ohms in the 35-40 hz range and doesn't drop any lower than that, correct?  I checked your site but didn't see the impedance curve up anymore.  Any info to enlighten me on this would be really appreciated.  I'm currently using Nuforce Ref. 8.02 mono's, and don't really want to sacrifice bass response (I also don't want to give up your Paradox 3's, which remain truly astounding speakers IMHO). My room is approximately 12x24, with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks.

Danny Richie

Re: 7-watt 300b amp sufficient to drive Paradox 3's?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2008, 06:41 pm »
The minimum impedance dip is in the 200Hz range where it drops to nearly 6 ohms (about 6.2 ohms or so).

There are no real impedance swings and it is a pretty easy load to drive.

The 7 watt amp will drive them to good levels with most music but could leave you with little to no headroom.

Not all single digit amps are alike either. Some are really soft in the bottom end and have no real drive. Some are quite the opposite though. I heard a single digit, single ended amp (mono-blocks) at Gary Dodd's recently (new design) and it had quite a bit of drive and a pretty tight bottom end. The top end was a little bit softer than his bigger mono-blocks but the mid-range was really good.

My guess is that in your case you may not find any single digit amps out there with the bottom end drive of those NuForce amps but just about anything will be more musical. It just depends on what you're looking for.

jkelly

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2008, 03:14 pm »
I did try a AES AE-1 amp with AVVT 300b mesh plates on my Paradox One's
and didn't like the combo.  Dull and lifeless.  20 watts or more and they were
incredible. I bet the Paradox 3's would rock with the Nuforce amps.

Adamay

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2008, 06:10 pm »
Thanks, Jkelly, this is helpful.  Yes, the Paradox 3's really, really sing with the Nuforces.  And, using a tube pre, I find the combo incredibly musical.  I've tweaked the Nuforces to the limit, per the recommendations on the Magnan cables website.  The tweaks increased the Nuforces' musicality (and transparency) tremendously, and all the drive and bass power is still there.  Maybe I should just stop looking for something else!