New pics of two of Dodd Audio's new pre-amps.

Danny Richie

« on: 24 Jun 2003, 09:11 pm »
Here are some new pics.

This one is the lowest priced high quality tube pre-amp I have seen.

This one is the one that is the same circuitry as the $3,900. Melos pre-amp that was highly acclaimed.  

Gary has also made some improvements and modifications to make it more reliable.

It has two inputs and one output, and uses the high quality and now impossible to find Alps, Black Beauty volume pot. It also uses Sonicaps.

This pre-amp is priced ridiculously low at $450. each.

Gary has also introduced a new mid level pre-amp that uses a similar circuit typology to his reference pre-amp, but with different tubes, not such a huge power supply, and a little less "all out".

I heard it last weekend. It sounds more like his reference pre-amp than the Melos knock off. Excellent!

It has three inputs and two outputs and comes with a remote.

It has a separate power supply and uses Cardas inputs and outputs.

This one is available for only $1,400. For what this is and how it sounds it is a steel.

Reach Dodd Audio:
gldodd@attbi.com
972-276-6865

azryan

« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2003, 04:30 am »
Does Gary have 'any' online site at all? Even something w/ these types of photos and some actual detailed info on these things?

I'm really interested in that $450 model, but would like to know more (everything -hehe) about it.

If anything you should get him to at the very least post here when you put up threads like this.

Just a thought.

I've also been looking at the Decware tube line level pre ($475) and regular preamp, and they seem to be in similar price range to these two Dodd pres here, and of very high quality too?, but there might be huge differences I don't know about???

Dodd's stuff certainly gets the edge in looks.

I'm thinking of what I might mate up to maybe that Scott Nixon DAC and what would work best if that helps anyone who might like to help me out.

I still don't understand what to look for in input and output imp. between DACs, pre's, and amps if anyone can help me there too or knows a good link??

Thanks!

eric the red

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2003, 02:24 am »
Gary has one of the 450.00 pre-amps right now that he will send you for an audition for shipping costs. Can't beat that :D

OBF

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2003, 03:20 pm »
ETR,

Are you thinking of auditioning it?

azryan

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2003, 07:09 pm »
That sounds great. I am thinking of trying it, but I'd also have to have a sepp. DAC to try also. I was thinking of the Scott Nix. untubed DAC w/ this little Dodd preamp. I figure I could even take black silicone and bond the DAC box to the side of the preamp, as they're some very tiny black boxes.

I'd still like to know some of the stuff I asked here though first, and I'll need a bit of time to have the extra $$  to do this anyway.

eric the red

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2003, 03:17 am »
I just emailed Gary again about auditioning the pre as my amp should be here next week.

ken

preamp audition
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2003, 04:31 pm »
I emailed gary the middle of last week inquiring about the audition and have yet to hear back from him.  I'm eager to hear what a good tube pre sounds like as I have never heard one and that happens to be the weak link in my system.  You know if Danny is endorsing these it's gotta be a great bang for the buck as well as great sounding.  I'm curious to know if Gary is making this offer available to anyone interested.  BTW Danny I still owe you a criterion review, sorry It's taken so long.   Still luvin those AV-1's though :D   As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, perhaps you can get Gary to post here and answer any questions that may arise regarding his products.

Ken

ddemeterio5

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2003, 04:43 am »
DA' Preamplifier

I can't wait to make a review of his reference preamp and compare it with my Melos preamp.

Currently I have Gary's 8w power amp and am anxiously waiting for his reference preamp.  Currently I am pairing his amp with a Melos MA-333, GR Pardadox 3, and Heart CD 6000.  

How does it sound?  The best damn system I have ever owned period!

Danny and Gary are the paradigm shifts of the high-end audio business.  They talk and treat you as a friend.  They are very sincere people and if a certain product they are selling is not for you or not as what you thought it would be they would be the first one to tell you.  Many times I would talk everything under the sun with these guys and guess what?  They listen and talk to me for hours as if they have known me for a long time.

Most of all these guys are COMITTED TO EXCELLENCE in their products and amazingly so much cheaper than the norm.

Now I would like to make a special mention about Gary Dodd and his work ethic that commands my utmost respect!  As an engineer myself I could relate to Gary's dedication to quality control and he breathes and thinks like an engineer.  Gary does not compromise his goals even if it takes a long, long, long time to accomplish it and he doesn't get complacent either.  To me he symbolizes the great inventors of old like Thomas Edison who spent most of their lives experimenting and inventing things.

Whatever Gary does is like a Rembrandt or a Picasso and it represents his hard work and dedication and last but not least his genius.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2003, 11:48 am »
ddemeterio5, as an owner of a fully-upgraded melos ma333r, i am certainly interested in hearing your opinions about the dodd reference.  i thought the melos was a bargain, at the used prices they go for; at $2k new, the reference sounds like it's a steal!   :)

danny, do you have any front/back/inside pics of the reference pre?

thanks,

doug s.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2003, 02:14 am »
Hey guys i'm here, and I have 2 preamps ready for auditioning. 1 is normal, and the other one can be used in HT, it has a bypass switch and front inputs. Anyone can try either one of them, just pay shipping both ways, and let me know where to send it. My email is gldodd@comcast.net
Gary
DODD AUDIO

gotmikey

• http://www.biofilm.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2003, 05:05 pm »
Anyone who has auditioned this product have anything to say yet?

Wally King

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2003, 09:32 pm »
Re. the entry-level Dodd preamp: anyone who 1) is not averse to tubes, 2) does not need more than two inputs and one output, and 3) does not mind not having a remote control should audition this preamp ASAP.  

It sounds great, uses high-quality parts, has a beautiful fit and finish, and is inexpensive.  Mr. Dodd provides a lifetime warranty.  For those who need greater flexibility, there's the $1400 preamp.

About a month ago, I decided to audition the basic preamp.  It sounded phenomenal right out of the box, and there was no question that I would keep it.  FYI, I'm using it with a modified Jolida 100 CDP, PS Audio HCA-2 power amp, and Maggie 1.6 speakers.

Get the Dodd; it's a no-brainer.

ken

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2003, 06:46 am »
I agree with Wally, Gary also allowed me the opportunity to audition his preamp for two weeks! and this is a fine sounding preamp;  dead quiet even at high volumes and seemed to be a good match for my ss amp and AV-1's  definitely worth an audition for the price of shipping, and did I mention damn good looking too.  Unlike Wally though I was unable to purchase the unit for monetary reasons  :cry:   As this was the only tube preamp I've heard  I'm curious how the Dodd would compare to the mapletree or grounded grid, two other preamps I've been reading favorable reviews about