Diluceo's with a twist...er an edge?

Darren Thomas

« on: 30 May 2003, 04:08 am »
Here are some pics of a pair of Diluceo's I'm building for a customer. They are covered in heavy curl maple and he had a special request for beveled edges.

The pics below are with two coats of oil. One more coat of oil to go and several coats of lacquer.

whatdayathink?

Al Garay

« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2003, 04:25 am »
I can't wait to hear these against my 1801s... I can't see them in the picture... where are they?

By the way, they are beautiful... excellent work as always.

Al

Val

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2003, 01:01 pm »
What veneer is that, Darren? It looks nice already.

I might have to move to Seattle in the coming months, and if I do I will surely contact you for a Criterion.

Val

Darren Thomas

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2003, 01:23 pm »
Quote from: Val
What veneer is that, Darren? It looks nice already.

I might have to move to Seattle in the coming months, and if I do I will surely contact you for a Criterion.

Val

Thanks!

Heavy curl maple veneer

Danny Richie

Curly Maple
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2003, 04:12 pm »
Man that Curly Maple looks good!

azryan

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2003, 05:25 pm »
looks great!

Hope you'll post comments on your impressions of the Diluceo compared to some others -as a point of reference. You have to make sure they work right so you HAVE to plug 'em in! hehe

Ravi

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2003, 06:07 pm »
Darren, as always, I love seeing pictures of your cabs, great work man!

Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like!

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2003, 06:15 pm »
I like the bevel.  This give me an idea for my computer speakers I am in the middle of building (gluing/clamping the MDF together).  I find it interesting that you decided to bevel the sides and not the front however!

Is it difficult to veneer the bevels?

Darren Thomas

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2003, 06:28 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I like the bevel.  This give me an idea for my computer speakers I am in the middle of building (gluing/clamping the MDF together).  I find it interesting that you decided to bevel the sides and not the front however!

Is it difficult to veneer the bevels?

The bevel on the sides only was the request from the customer. He was interested in duplicating a commercial speaker with a bevel. Beveling the veneer is a bit more difficult than just veneering alone. You need to be VERY accurate with the bevel across the entire length or it will be obvious that it varies. You also have to deal with the seams trying not to make them too obvious or blatant. You will always see them but you can minimize the harshness of it. It is very tedious work to veneer the bevels, you must use very thin veneer. In this case I made my own veneer by planing down solid wood and then sanding it further to minimize edge thickness.

Darren

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2003, 06:36 pm »
I'm very impressed.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2003, 07:00 pm »
I'm very impressed.

Just a clarification...I only made the veneer for the beveled parts :) The rest is bought veneer.

byteme

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2003, 07:58 pm »
Quote from: Darren Thomas
I'm very impressed.

Just a clarification...I only made the veneer for the beveled parts :) The rest is bought veneer.

In either case, really, really stunning.  Just beautiful.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2003, 08:47 pm »
Quote from: azryan
looks great!

Hope you'll post comments on your impressions of the Diluceo compared to some others -as a point of reference. You have to make sure they work right so you HAVE to plug 'em in! hehe

I'll definately post my impressions although everyone should take them with a seriously large grain of salt :) While I know what I like my ears are far from golden. I'm sure I'll love the Diluceo's as I tend to like Danny's designs. I'll give my opinion here soon unfortunately I won't have the best environment though. I'm in the middle of the move and my amps, CD source, and good cables are all packed away :( All I have is my receiver...I'm gonna dig out the CD player though.

Darren

HChi

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2003, 05:37 am »
Darren,
  Just tell the customer that extra work is needed due to the complex beveled job; also you are throwing in a special bonus service of speaker burn-in for the first pair of any new speaker line.  :mrgreen:   This should give you enough time to finish your move and break out your rig to have some fun!
   I better walk away soon before being tempted beyond the point of no return!   By the way, that is exceptional woodwork.