H-frame vs. SLOB?

fdandrews

H-frame vs. SLOB?
« on: 6 Apr 2018, 08:56 pm »
I have been using a pair of Alpha 15 woofers in 7" deep U-frames with Fostex 166en fullranges on top for a while now, after experimenting with other drivers. The boxes look a little funky and were always intended to be temporary until I decided on the WAW combination and crossover that worked for me. I would like to build the same drivers into a better looking system, and maybe try a different load on the woofers. Has anyone tried the same 15" woofers in both an  H-frame and a Nelson Pass style SLOB configuration? I heard the SLOB, with different woofers and Lowthers on top, at a Burning Amp festival and liked what I heard. They looked good, too, to my eyes.  Given that the drivers in the Pass SLOB were completely different than what I have, I am not sure I can generalize about the merits of slot loading. I have not had the pleasure of hearing an H-frame system. Anyone have an opinion about which style I should try next?

matevana

Re: H-frame vs. SLOB?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:10 pm »
I did some testing with slot loading vs flat baffle in my Djinn project thread located here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147509.msg1577937#msg1577937

In my situation it provided only marginal benefit sound-wise; I was able to justify the build in part due to aesthetics and driver protection.

fdandrews

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2018, 06:50 pm »
Whoa! A mind is a terrible thing......(finish it yourself). I replied in that thread, and then later modified my current OBs based upon what you wrote. Didn't remember until you posted that thread yesterday.

I made the baffle the same way, cutting the board in three and then taking out a section and gluing it back together with biscuits to align it. The system currently uses Alpha 15a and Fostex 166en drivers. I did it not for any sonic benefits, but to make the speaker more visually interesting. Now I would like to build something with the same drivers (maybe better woofers) but narrower and more attractive. I am leaning towards the Pass SLOB, based upon looks, but want to be sure the performance will be at least as good as the current setup. H-frame Alpha 15s are narrower than my current speaks, and their performance is documented on the MJK site. Any and all opinions are welcome.

matevana

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2018, 07:58 pm »
This may sound like heresy on the OB circle, but you may want to give some thought to a small aperiodically damped enclosure for each woofer, with the Fostex mounted at ear level in an open baffle above. I've heard this combination (166en) with a pair of small (10") Morel woofers on each side, and they really worked well together. The enclosure width can be about as narrow as the woofer itself, and the dampening can come from something like a Scanspeak Variovent or a DIY alternative. In my experience, a well designed aperiodically damped enclosure can have positive characteristics of both sealed boxes and open baffle woofers. They also seem to integrate with OB full range drivers more easily than sealed or ported boxes.

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2018, 01:45 am »
SLOB

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2018, 09:57 am »
How do you like the Eikonas?

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2018, 12:49 am »
 I like them a lot. Had TB 1808 before the Jordans and AN Classic 10 Ferrite before TB. I can listen all day without fatigue. I'm using a DSP bi-amped with this setup.

matevana

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2018, 09:45 am »
I go through a lot of drivers. Many are sold to finance new drivers that i can test. Many more are sold simply because i didn’t like them.  I’ve owned the Eikona II’s since about the time Jordan released them. I run them full range with nothing in the signal path; only a carefully implemented woofer system. I listen to them daily. They are a keeper. 

mkane

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2018, 01:37 pm »
  We listen daily also. No TV here. I'm going to modify these baffles so that they taper up near the Jordan