Need tall boy sub help please

bcbud3

Need tall boy sub help please
« on: 9 Sep 2017, 11:37 pm »
I purchased this sub a little while back and am finally getting around to hooking it up.  I looked on the back and it looks like someone has added another pair of banana jack connectors (4 pairs total on back).  Does someone have a picture of the back of one of these.  I think I will need to open it up to see what was done.  I'm guessing they wired it to power each sub individually. 

Thanks

bcbud3

Re: Need tall boy sub help please
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2017, 11:49 pm »
here is the back:

revg1952

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2017, 02:59 am »
I have one of these. Each sub has it's own input the lower binding posts. The Upper binding posts of each terminal cup is the high pass to a  8 ohm satellite.
hope this helps.
 RevG

bcbud3

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2017, 03:22 am »
Sorry, I don't quite understand what the upper connections are for.  And, how would i hook this up? 

revg1952

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2017, 03:26 am »
Ps if this wasn't wired as a stereo sub; there would only be one set of inputs with or without high pass terminals.
RevG

revg1952

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2017, 03:37 am »
this is wired as a stereo sub with a high pass  for a satellite. The Lower terminal cup lower binding posts are for the lower 15 inch sub. The binding posts above that on the same terminal cup is for a satellite speaker, The terminal cup on the top is  for the upper 12 inch sub; with te upper binding posts for another satellite. I have sold both mono ands stereo versions of this sub. So what you want to use for a left channel or a right channel the choice is yours. You don't have to use the high pass out if you don't want to. The crossover is @100hz low pass @6db and the high pass is at @100hz 12db. THe level control on each cup is a level control of for output of the satellite.

so to repeat the lower binding posts on each terminal cup  is the input from the amp to the subwoofer. the upper binding posts are for high pass filter  to a satellite speaker(if  so desired) This was designed by B.C for use of one amp channel versus biamping.
 RevG

bcbud3

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm »
I think I get it now.  One channel from power amp to each lower set of banana jacks. 

Now, how do i get my signal from my pioneer vsx-d1s amp to my adcom gfa7500 amp?  The pioneer has a single output labelled "center woofer out".  Split this and run one wire to each channel of amp?

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:26 am »
I think I get it now.  One channel from power amp to each lower set of banana jacks. 

Now, how do i get my signal from my pioneer vsx-d1s amp to my adcom gfa7500 amp?  The pioneer has a single output labelled "center woofer out".  Split this and run one wire to each channel of amp?

No, according to the manual there are connector bars in the middle of the back panel of the Pioneer Receiver. Each one connects a Pre Out to Power In for the labeled channel. You remove them. Take 5 RCA cables and connect each one to the pre out jack on the Pioneer. Connect the other side to the corresponding input on the Adcom amplifier. Connect the correseponding speaker to the speaker terminal on the Adcom.

A full connection will look like this: RCA cable plugged into the Left Front Pre-out of the Pioneer. The other end of this RCA cable plugged into the Input Left Front of the Adcom. Left front speaker is connected to the speaker output directly below the Input Left Front jack on the Adcom.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:27 am »
Double Post

bcbud3

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm »
 iam using this sub in a 2 channel setup with my pioneer amp.  How would I hook up so that the sub was powered from a seperate amp?

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2017, 11:57 pm »
iam using this sub in a 2 channel setup with my pioneer amp.  How would I hook up so that the sub was powered from a seperate amp?

As best I can tell, use an RCA cable to connect the Center Woofer jack of the Pioneer to the input on one channel on the separate amplifier. If you want to drive two subwoofers get a y cable to connect the the Center Woofer out to two inputs on the separate amplifier.

bcbud3

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2017, 04:17 am »
Can the sub be wired to run off one channel of the amp?  Can i wire the two subs in parallel?

revg1952

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:58 pm »
Yes and Yes

bcbud3

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2017, 12:49 am »
Just wire the subs in parallel?  That would give me a 4 ohm load correct?

revg1952

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2017, 01:08 am »
Yes each driver should be rated at 8 ohms each, I know mine are. 8 + 8=4 in parallel   . :thumb: