Why options for different versions of MDP in firmware BDP-2?

Gerard

I am very satisfied with my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo. They sound great! But I have a question regarding MDP version in de BDP-2.
Why are there three options to choose from regarding versions (0.17.6, 0.18.21, 0.19,21) of MDP in my BDP-2 firmware?
Why not just the newest version. Can there be a difference in sound quality when i choose a different than the current one? And if not, why bother to present a option between different versions? :scratch:
Greetings, Gerard

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Why options for different versions of MDP in firmware BDP-2?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2017, 03:31 pm »
I am very satisfied with my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo. They sound great! But I have a question regarding MDP version in de BDP-2.
Why are there three options to choose from regarding versions (0.17.6, 0.18.21, 0.19,21) of MDP in my BDP-2 firmware?
Why not just the newest version. Can there be a difference in sound quality when i choose a different than the current one? And if not, why bother to present a option between different versions? :scratch:
Greetings, Gerard

Hi Gerard,

The primary reason why we don't just always enforce the latest version is the way the different versions handle your music library, in most cases these differences are not noticeable; but in rare cases it can be very noticeable.  We also want to give our users the freedom to periodically update the version of the software, so we provide the latest version of each major release that the base system (in the case of Manic Moose it is Debian Wheezy) will comfortably support.

Cheers,
Chris

Gerard

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2017, 06:53 pm »
Thanks Chris for your quick reply. Do you mean that sometimes there are very noticeable differences in sound quality when music library are handled differently?

Hi Gerard,

The primary reason why we don't just always enforce the latest version is the way the different versions handle your music library, in most cases these differences are not noticeable; but in rare cases it can be very noticeable.  We also want to give our users the freedom to periodically update the version of the software, so we provide the latest version of each major release that the base system (in the case of Manic Moose it is Debian Wheezy) will comfortably support.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2017, 12:51 am »
Thanks Chris for your quick reply. Do you mean that sometimes there are very noticeable differences in sound quality when music library are handled differently?

No, although some users have noticed minor changes in the quality of the audio.  Particularly with how well the tag data is picked up, wav files most notably.  Other changes/differences can be found in the news file found on the system page.