Which one sounds better SUPER 3 HO Monitor or Super 3 HO Tower?

concim

I'm deciding between the SUPER 3 HO monitor or tower.  The only difference I see is the monitor goes to 45 hz while the tower goes  to 40 hz, so maybe it sounds identical.  Are there other advantages spending more on a tower?  I already have a Decware tube amp(Super Zen Triode) so I think I have good amp for an Omega speaker. 

mick wolfe

Without knowing your priorities, room size, listening preferences, ( genres, loudness levels) etc., it's pretty hard to make an educated guess. Personally I would go with a floor standing version, but that's just my thought and general preference. Frankly, Louis is the best consultant for the answer to your question.

slefley

I agree with Mick - preference for a particular speaker depends on so many variables that there is no single 'better' or 'best' for everyone.  You should talk with Louis to get his recommendation for your specific situation.   My preference would be the floor-stander because by the time you add stands for the monitor the cost difference is reduced, and both versions take up about the same space in your listening room.  But in your situation the monitor may be the best choice.

MarkR7

I agree with the responses above, but I will deviate slightly.

I am currently waiting for my HO SAMs to arrive (which are replacing my standard SAMs). I chose the monitors because I have learned over time that they are easier to place than floorstanders (and yes, you do need stands for them) in an ideal position, but the spot for best bass is almost never the best spot for everything else, so I use a subwoofer to support the bottom end, and I am able to place a sub specifically to tailor my bass response in my room...

Food for thought....  :thumb:

sunnydaze

+1 to what Mark said.....

Plus, if you add a sub and high-pass the mains to "de-stress" them of LF playback (which I believe Mark does), you get the added benefit of making a VG speaker even better.   Just use sub's low-pass (to control how high it plays) and gain controls to fill-in and blend the bottom.

High-pass method w/ sub doesn't have to be expensive.   Both Mark and I use Gallo CL-10 sub (with built-in HP filter) w/ our Omegas.  I also get great results running my JM Reynaud Twins the same way.  Much better than running mains full range and supplementing the bottom w/ sub.   Gallo subs were cheap on closeout last summer, and even cheaper now used.   Sounds great!    :thumb:

For the Super Alnico choices, this sub and nice stands are easily funded by the monitor vs. floorstander price difference.   Price diff on smaller Omega models is not as great, so it may not fully cover these 2 items.  But I'm quite confident that the high-passed monitor + sub will surpass the tower in SQ.  And it won't be subtle.

concim

What audible improvements do you hear highpassing your Omega speakers?  I would think adding crossover would take out some transparency. I think the Gallo CL-10 high pass at 100 hz, so that is pretty high.

sunnydaze

What audible improvements do you hear highpassing your Omega speakers?  I would think adding crossover would take out some transparency. I think the Gallo CL-10 high pass at 100 hz, so that is pretty high.

I feared the same.  Another link in the chain = loss of transparency and purity theory. 

So initially I just used sub to supplement the bottom.  After a bit I figured what the hell, may as well try all options...especially free ones.  So I tried high-passing.  And yes, the Gallo high-passes at 100hz fixed, not adjustable.

Overall sound took on an ease and purity and resolution over the entire range that shocked me.   If a theoretical veiling is occurring I don't hear it.   In fact, it sounds more transparent, resolved, open and refined.  Sounds like a significant speaker upgrade.  I assume removing LF from the mains, and concentrating their efforts at above 100Hz, allows them to play cleaner and louder with less distortion.   

And of course, the LF got better as well, especially the mid-bass.... fuller and richer, better punch.  I assume this is because the lower mid-bass and upper low bass , previously handled by the smaller mains driver (in addition to frequencies above that), is now done by the  larger 10" sub driver.  It just plays bigger with more authority and weight.   Additionally, I believe the mains driver (now free of all below 100 Hz) now does a better job than previously with mid and upper bass reproduction, resulting again in better punch, weight and speed.

I have two friends that were also using Gallo subs to supplement their Omegas run full range.  I asked them to high-pass their mains without revealing my results.  When they did, they reported the same exact improvements I had heard.

I don't know what Gallo uses.   Maybe some simple passive filter to not muck up the sound too much?  If there is "mucking", to my ear the benefits outweigh it.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
My guess is that the benefit of high passing at speaker level still outweighs the cost of adding the circuitry to do so.  Likely further improvement if you moved to decent quality active (line level) high pass.  But might be diminishing returns from where you are now.

......Peter

concim

I wonder why Louis has not tried doing two drivers, one high pass at a higher frequency(100 hz), for clearer mids and highs, and  the other low passed. I would guess it would sound improved with clearer mids, like your setup. His 1.5 is I think running full range and the 2nd driver is low passed.  So it's the opposite. 

sunnydaze

I wonder why Louis has not tried doing two drivers, one high pass at a higher frequency(100 hz), for clearer mids and highs, and  the other low passed. I would guess it would sound improved with clearer mids, like your setup. His 1.5 is I think running full range and the 2nd driver is low passed.  So it's the opposite.

Proponents of single driver speakers say it offers better coherency and imaging as the FR is not broken up into pieces for the individual drivers, and then re-assembled before it hits your ear.  Too much manipulation that is audible, they say.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Louis now offers the 2nd driver operating only down low to provide a bit more oomph and weight, as an option for those that feel single drivers sound a bit lean / lightweight.  So the idea is, it maintains single driver coherency while the "helper driver" supplements the bottom to make it sound fuller.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2017, 01:22 am by sunnydaze »