Going to pick up a Line Magnetic Amp tomorrow......

Shakeydeal

.....the 518ia. It will be going up against my CJ LP66S and driving my Super Vs. Does anyone have any experience with the combo? Or any other low wattage SET driving the Super Vs? This amp is supposed to be ballsy, but has only 1/3 the power of my CJ.

Will I be happy?

Will Dr. Smith be able to cure Aunt Patty?

This and more, stay tuned...........

Shakey

mick wolfe

Re: Going to pick up a Line Magnetic Amp tomorrow......
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:13 pm »
I currently use a Line Magnetic 218ia. ( an 845 SET with the same power rating as the 518ia)  Having owned several P-P tube amps at or near the power rating as your CJ, I don't think you'll have an issue. Example.... I've found the LM to sound bigger and more powerful than a very solid 40-45 watt P-P tube amp I currently have in house.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:42 pm »
Hey Mick,

Tough crowd around here..... :roll:

It's me, Ozzy, from AA.......

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2017, 04:55 pm »
No, I recognized your "handle" right away. Actually AC is a mellower place IMHO. I enjoy the company. Hope the amp works out for you. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2017, 05:04 pm »
Thanks. What I meant by "tough crowd" is that you get a lot of lookie loos, but not many replies. Seems to be the norm for this place.

Shakey

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2017, 07:18 pm »
Thanks. What I meant by "tough crowd" is that you get a lot of lookie loos, but not many replies. Seems to be the norm for this place.

Shakey

Yep but i find the discussion that does take place to be more helpful than i have seen on some other sites

Mike

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2017, 07:22 pm »
Yep but i find the discussion that does take place to be more helpful than i have seen on some other sites

Mike

Agreed.

danvprod

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2017, 07:56 pm »
That is a sweet looking amp! I'm going to be powering my V's with a 4 watt tube amp (Decware Mini Torii) so I'll be curious to get your impression. I've seen the 219ia as well and that is a beauty.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2017, 08:20 pm »
That is a sweet looking amp! I'm going to be powering my V's with a 4 watt tube amp (Decware Mini Torii) so I'll be curious to get your impression. I've seen the 219ia as well and that is a beauty.

4 watts huh? Well you will be pushing the envelope there.

I'll report back some time this weekend with how this works out. I have high hopes   :D

Shakey

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2017, 08:47 pm »
I have an LM 219IA and it has plenty of drive for my Tannoy's.  I was really surprised how ballsy this amp is.

DTB300

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2017, 09:44 pm »
Heard a LM 219IA driving a pair of O/96 Devore and it was outstanding.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2017, 11:17 pm »
I just visited LM's website, but I did not see the 518 listed as current production. Is it made for North America, but not domestic consumption?

Michael

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2017, 11:51 pm »
I just visited LM's website, but I did not see the 518 listed as current production. Is it made for North America, but not domestic consumption?

http://www.lm-audio.com/english/cp_l.aspx?dyiji=10   scroll down

http://www.lm-audio.com/english/xxcp.aspx?dyiji=10&id=160

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2017, 11:59 pm »
Thanks.

Your links looked so much different from the website that I found that I went back to mine. It's a poor quality website.....I wonder if it's fake?

Here's where I went: http://admin.soowo.cn/weixin/plat/app/Html/9619/728862/index.html

Michael
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2017, 03:54 am by mresseguie »

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2017, 12:17 am »
Nice looking ride you have there Shakeydeal.

Let us know how the amps sound.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2017, 12:38 am »
Just see the 518 specs, its a nice amp:
http://www.cattylink.com/lm518ia.html
I always wonder why people prefer the 845 over the 211?

geowak

« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2017, 12:14 am »
I've got the 216IA, but I had to borrow the 518 from my dealer when a transformer went out on my amp. It sounded glorious during it's short stay with me. I enjoy the 216, but if I had some extra cash, I would get the 518. Let us know how much you like it or not...
BTW, LM audio replaced the transformer, therefore KUDOS for the quality customer service.

Also, CJ has been making top-notch tube amps for some time now. I would not expect the LM to sound better, just different. IMHO

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:41 am »
I've got the 216IA, but I had to borrow the 518 from my dealer when a transformer went out on my amp. It sounded glorious during it's short stay with me. I enjoy the 216, but if I had some extra cash, I would get the 518. Let us know how much you like it or not...
BTW, LM audio replaced the transformer, therefore KUDOS for the quality customer service.

Also, CJ has been making top-notch tube amps for some time now. I would not expect the LM to sound better, just different. IMHO
Whats the burn transformer full story?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:43 am »
Well after a long night of listening, I think we have a winner. The 518ia is a great amp, by any measure. Explosive dynamics, fast, tonally rich, and plenty of power to drive the Super V.

Now the bad news, hum. For the first three hours the amp was powered up there was ZERO noise. It was so quiet, you didn't even think the thing was on. Then a steady state hum started. I don't think it's a ground loop because it would have been there from the start. It is present on all inputs and even when the amp is muted. I don't think it's a bad tube because the volume is equal in both channels and doesn't change with attenuation. You can't hear it when music is playing, but you can hear it from anywhere in the room when there is no music.

I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing these things, but this one has me stumped. It's not a deal breaker for me, the amp sounds too good. But I'd certainly like to figure it out.

Bottom line, as good as the CJ is, it will be going on the auction block.

Shakey

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 5 Mar 2017, 12:11 pm »
You run this new amp around the clock?
It may over heat transformers.
What is the recommended run time?
You live in a hot area?