OB W-frame build

jimbones

Re: OB W-frame build
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2017, 02:06 pm »
Uh maybe I am missing something but wont it be difficult to screw in the drivers? How would you get a tool in there to work?

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2017, 03:17 pm »
Don't make the brace any deeper than half of the depth of the V.

bdp24

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2017, 10:18 pm »
Uh maybe I am missing something but wont it be difficult to screw in the drivers? How would you get a tool in there to work?

I used bolts and nuts in my W-frames, not screws. I don't trust MDF to hold under the weight of the woofer hanging almost upside down!

aceinc

« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2017, 02:19 am »
Someone asked for pictures.

Here are some of the pieces and a large woofer. Note the lines on the pieces I did that to make sure where everything went, and later used it for a screw pattern.

Here is one inner cabinet put together with the paint I chose for the interior. A couple of things about the paint;

1) I chose the smooth as opposed to texture finish.
2) They couldn't make Black, so I got dark gray. I could probably have asked them to put more black tint in it, but it was Sunday at HD.
3) It is like painting with pudding.
4) It seems to fill well.
5) I have been painting with a brush, and then using a small roller to smooth it out.

Here is the inside of the inner cabinet after one coat.

I messed up a few things on the other inner cabinet, and it needs some bondo work before painting. I'll post those later.

mlundy57

« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2017, 02:38 am »
Looks pretty good.

Ahhh Bondo and wood filler, what would we do without them  :lol:

Mike

aceinc

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2017, 02:06 am »
I have the outer cabinets installed. Basically 3/4" MDF on top, bottom and sides.

I bought the wood, but decided against the center brace. My thought process was that with 1-1/2" of material on the sides of the cabinet there should be no resonance in the band pass. My very unscientific knuckle test seems to confirm this. Also when I only had the single side pieces, I wedged a piece of 1"x 4" in the area brace would go. When I did the knuckle rap test, it made no difference in the sound, which did seem like it would be in the band pass.

The next step is to get everything prepped for veneer. I will need to sand & fill a few areas to ensure everything is smooth.

aceinc

« Reply #26 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:54 am »
Today's questions are about veneering.

I have a 4'x8' sheet of red oak veneer (non paper back) and 25' of 7/8" iron on red oak banding.

Question 1, on this type cabinet does the banding go on 1st? My thought is yes, so that if the cabinet is dragged on carpet the banding doesn't snag and break off.

Question B, Should I try 45 degree corners on the banding, or butt joints?

Question 3, Does anyone live in South Florida that knows what they are doing and want some Fat Tire beer, in exchange for technical assistance?